Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TLT-1 rock buster questions (none crawler)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Post TLT-1 rock buster questions (none crawler)

I'm looking to try an find one of these lil guys stock an go with the other side of what the tlt-1 was an go with a more monster truck but I have a few questions about the vehicle an some hopups.
I've got these electronics laying around
Novak Edge 2s ESC
Tekin 540 redline 10.5 w/ 13mm High torque rotor
Venom 3800mah 2cell 60c hard case lipo.

1) Is it possible to mount a shory 2cell hard case lipo inside one of these guys with some ease?

2) What would be the best gear transmission conversion for this to get it scooting an handle a higher powered 540 brushless system.

3) I love the cantilever suspension but is there something better then those skinny little shocks?

4) Diet... anyone know of the best stock sized carbon fiber chassis to get for one of these guys?

5) on the axle end would i need to dig around for some stronger axles to replace what a kit stocker would come with so not to snap something when it jumping.

6) is there a stockish length 80's F150 body hiding out there somewhere?

7) in regard to servos.... what sized one does this guy take a standard sized servo or a micro?

I'd like to keep the front an rear diffs unlocked an if the gear trans has a diff that unlocked too so it can reduce the chance of drive train related failures.
T_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: TLT-1 rock buster questions (none crawler)

You are barking up the wrong tree with a TLT.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm sure someone said something along those lines to creator of Bigfoot in its early days.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

Im sure.

I've had a few, all turned into crawlers or scalers.

The stock gears in the axles are surprisingly tough, but wear out very quickly when abused.

RCPcrawlers and RPP Hobby are good places to look for axle parts if/when you need them. RCP has MIP CVDs for the front, and stainless straight axles for the rear.

Stock size servo.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the info there on the cvd's. Would shimming the gears in the axles help out with wear n tear? Just remembered is there something along the lines of a wheelie bar or something that attaches to the rear axles to prevent flips?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

Yes. Buy the Traxxas #1985 shim kit.

(pretty sure that's the one, do some research in case I'm wrong)

No input on the wheelie bar, cause it's dumb.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

My tlt Bigfoot race truck:

Thread about it on RCMT:

TLT Bigfoot for RCMTC-HI Mod1

Video of it racing. 1st race it's up against a Wheely King and the second is a Monster Jam Stampede:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2oCOCG4uuc

Last edited by hawnmt; 12-08-2012 at 03:19 PM.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Now thats what i'm talking about that looks like a total blast to drive around, is that lipo pack you have in there about the size of a hard case shorty?
Old 12-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

It is a lipo, 2200mah 2s 40C soft pack. I'm not sure on the size of a hardcase shorty but this pack is what 1/16 Traxxas guys used to use for their cars. I have since switched it over to the Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah pack that was actually designed for 1/16 Traxxas cars. It's a little shorter but the same width and height as this one.

I will caution you on brushless power in a tlt monster because it is very easy to overpower these trucks and make them difficult to drive. The setup I have is a Novak XRS esc and HPI 15T Firebolt motor. Even with a 31T 48p pinion it will easily wheelie out on launch if I'm not careful. The only reason I run it is because the class was originally spec'd for that motor.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I actually own a mini e revo so i'm familiar with the lipo packs with them the shorty hard case lipo i'd say is just barely longer an 1/2" wider then the traxxas pack an 3/8" taller as well. I'll probably have more power then needed since what i have laying around is a 10.5t tekin with the 13mm HT rotor which makes massive amounts of torque but I do plan on trying to get a geared trans in this (if i can find one of the PRP traxxas geared trans conversion that be the most win)

On another note on tires.. Anyone tried running the 1/16 traxxas mini grave digger wheels on this?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Good news I got my TLT-1!!!! got bearings coming in to smooth out the drive line an have some ti univserals from gpm but I've been noticing something while driving this thing.... its almost unloading all the power from the 10.5t motor to the one front wheel due to torque twisting is there any cure for this on my application? Like stated this lil monster is gonna stay monster an likely never see a grade higher then what you find at a skate park.

I do love how this lil guy jumps speed bumps what a blast! also its a bit twichy on the steering tends to spin out rather quickly I can only think i may have to much toe on one of the axles.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

check out this build thread from Tamiyausa website, it's worth the read and can give you some ideas.

TamiyaUSA.com - Building a TLT-1 Crawler- By Joe Anderson
budhatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I saw that but sadly didn't give me any real help with the 2 minor problems I'm having which is its kinda all over creation at high speed an when under acceleration there is one front wheel almost off the ground from torque twist.

Still this little guy with stock trans 30t pinion 87t spur paired to my tekin 10.5t 13mm HI rotor motor with 2cell lipo hauls an is so much more amusing to drive then my mini-T thats almost 100% with a 4000kv brushless in it. also did i mention how much i love how it jumps makes me think i'm watching monsterjam!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Well here is what I've got together now with my tlt-1 none crawler. Comical blast to drive!
Specs:
Tekin 10.5t motor w/ tekin 13mm HT rotor
Venom 3800 60c 2cell shorty lipo
Spektrum 2X2E radio gear
Futaba S3305
Novak Edge 2s esc
78T spur 30T pinion
Full bearings
Penguin RC performance chassi
GPM ti center drive shafts
Wild Willy 2000 rear wheel/tire assembly
traxxas rustler front wheel hexes

I smacked one of the wheels in the rear against something but all i know is OUCH bumped something going over 25

The steering knuckle got banged up to waiting on a high clearance alum steering knuckle.

Biggest complaint atm is the shocks are not to good for dampening jumps at all or bumpy terrain at speed the tires do most of the work gotta figure out a good shock set to use that can get nice an spongy then grab some piano wire an make sway bars to fight the torque twist.

Last edited by T_Tank; 12-22-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Hopefully nobody minds but I'm going more updated over at rcmt since its slightly more relivant for the sake this lil tlt is about as subtle at crawling as a duck hunting with a flack cannon

The little guy goes over 20mph just got my scx10 107mm shocks installed which seam to keep it more stable going at speed now.

Its got a good deal of articulation aswell.

But anyways here is what the tlt looks like now

an if your lighlty curious here is the rcmt link.
TLT-1 rock buster none crawler!

If you have any questions on the little guy don't be afraid to post!
Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Nice!!! TLT is the best thing ever happen to my RC life. I've had more fun and built more shtuff using TLT axles than anything else. Their amazingly durable in stock form. A puller is my next build.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I love my little tlt an will likely keep it in its happy little angry monster truck form. Probably sometime next year I'll start tinkering around with a stock sized monster truck tuber (2 tuber half chasis with bolted in cross member cage sections) with narrowed axial axles an a exo terra gear box (vanquish exo terra mount) an a 5T 550 YES A 550 powered tlt sized angry monster.

I'm wondering on the sxc10 axles if a makerbot could make narrowed versions that could be somewhat as strong as nylon (would likely print in channels on the outside to reinforce with resin)
Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I ran a 8T motor and used wire to make sway bars to cut down on torque twist. The motor would almost turn the truck over on take off.
BrockGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote

TLT-1 rock buster questions (none crawler) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TLT-! Or Rock Buster? Thedukeman Newbie General 5 12-14-2006 08:39 AM
TLT-1 Rock buster and TLT-1 Max Climber? PastryLikeDood Tamiya TLT Crawlers 22 11-07-2006 04:18 PM
Stick Pack in TLT Rock Buster Racefan1115 Electronics 2 05-05-2006 03:30 PM
TLT-1 Rock Buster Question... DLE88 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 2 10-18-2005 09:17 PM