Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New "spin" on rear dig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2006, 08:08 AM   #41
The Wheels Keep Turning

Awesome idea! I think you could use one servo with a rod connecting both sides or two servos, one for each side. I think this is only free-wheeling the actuated side, not locking it at the same time.
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2006, 01:24 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Doesn't seem that bad until you have to think about your servos and linkages.

I like everything except for the idea of having to hack your axles and run two servos if you want to be able to cut throttle to the rear.

Its a start, amazing what improvements we can think of.
USATorque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:51 PM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Ok, here we go. Here are some pics of the first attempt. the idea was to use a small pin to slide in beside the axle and push the side gear toward the center of the dif housing. the pin broke. I have since scrapped the pin idea and used a tube to go completely around the axle. I don't have any pics of the tube actuated set-up but it seems to be much more reliable. I have also changed to a MUCH stronger spring inside the diff. This provides almost instant reingaugement of the axle. The pic with the axle installed should give everyone a good idea of how it locks the wheels. it's a simple lever against the wheel stops it from turning thing.
One high torque servo does it all.
Attached Images

blue302ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Very awesome idea, very invative, well done But it might be the pictures you have, but im still lost as to what the top links on the servo horn accomplish? I see them conect to the outter part of the axle, to the top of the spindle maybee??? If you could relive me of my being lost here, that would be great
Amaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:33 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Okay, working on this set up along with dig. I have this all done, but with one problem. When engaging from one side the pressure pushes the ring gear and drive cup away from the pinion gear resulting in a loss of mesh. How did you solve this? I will show how I did mine once I get this solved. I used round tube over the axles instead of a pin.

Thanks,
Casey
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:19 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Well, I have dig and this set up installed. I do not have the top rods that push against the tires. I have it set up on a 4th channel so that when I have the dig to lock the rear drive axle, I can unlock the outside tire for the direction I am turning (If I am turning right, the right rear is locked and the left rear free wheels). The problem is, I seem to get a tighter turning radius with both rear tires locked. It seems I this mod did not help. I thought it would help a lot. It seems the truck is not heavy enough to "plant" only one rear tire and pivot around it.

Any ideas.

Thanks,
Casey
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote