Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Aluminum Axle case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2006, 12:46 AM   #1

Default Aluminum Axle case

Im sure someone has already asked this but i looked and couldn't find it. Any how i have had some problems with breaking my axles on hard nose first impacts. What is happening is that the C hub part of the axle case is flexing and breaking off the dog bone end of the axle. Im looking for either an aluminum axle case or some kind of fix to the problem of the axles breaking. By the way i have a custom chassis what a pede tranny, using TLT axles. Im using crawler store wheel base wideners if any of that helps.

Thanks
Leland
Leland915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2006, 12:50 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Try these from Xtreme RC.

http://www.xtreme-rc-hobbies.net/tltaxelends.html
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:21 AM   #3
Oppan Gangnam Style

these guys have them too. check out: www.Fat-Rock.com. several of the nor cal guys have been running them. mmmm... beefy!

Last edited by chino63; 08-23-2006 at 02:24 AM.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63
these guys have them too. check out: www.Fat-Rock.com. several of the nor cal guys have been running them. mmmm... beefy!
WOW i need a set of those bad!! thank you for that link chino!
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:50 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thumbs up

I run the Fat-Rock Aluminum Axle-C both in the front and in the rear of my TLT. I love them! No more broken plastic C's and inproved axle clearance. The Fat-Rock Axle-C are the way to go in my book. Here is a link to were you can get them, www.Fat-Rock.com

Here are some pics of them mounted on my rig.

51504rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Released July 27? Sure does look familiar. Guess I'll be dropping mine now as I figured.

David
Xtreme r/c hobbies
insanerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:34 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Well, I wouldn't say imitation, but more like great minds think alike.

We have had them on the drawing board for quite some time now, but deciding on the "best" method of design and fabrication took quite a while. We actually had some unbent prototypes made by blue_devil_toyota thinking that we could bend them and be happy. We then quickly realized the skill & time involved in bending so many so accuractely. So in the end, we went with a sheetmetal shop to do all the cutting and bending for us. A little more expensive, but worth the accuracy I thought.

We then tested the piss out of them in their current state (which is ongoing of course). We learned alot from it and most everything was positive after they had been abused. Trust me when I say Bean Hollow really puts an abuse down and so does all the 7+ pound rigs they were mounted on.

So, we haven't advertised them here yet or anything, just mostly local word of mouth and a couple sig lines here and there. We really wanted to get more testing time in before going hog wild with them, but so far, things have been pleasent. Hopefully that will continue and we get more neat stuff out there.

-Sam
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:34 PM   #9
Ultimate RC Decals

i like the other axle pieces the you're coming out with. they look like the axle braces i made awhile back. do yours act like a brace or just a replacement for the broken piece?
Axle Brace
BOWTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:41 PM   #10

looks more like a replacement or a repair part. you have to take off the old ones in order for those to go on so.. breaking them just gives you a good reason to buy some
mindwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:08 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWTIE
i like the other axle pieces the you're coming out with. they look like the axle braces i made awhile back. do yours act like a brace or just a replacement for the broken piece?
Axle Brace

As mindwreck stated, they are actually replacements and not braces like your design. Dean has been running them on his red Landcruiser (formerly "Old Reliable" the silver one)

for a few years and had great success with them. Once we finished the design for the complete Axle-C, we withheld putting those drawings out to the machine shops until we saw how the first investement worked out.

-Sam
Old 08-24-2006, 12:14 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

By the way. Sorry for the High Jacking. Hey Slinky Sam is this your rig.
Attached Images

run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:54 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn
By the way. Sorry for the High Jacking. Hey Slinky Sam is this your rig.

Thread Jacker!!!!!!

Yeah, that's my bucket alright. That shot was on it's maiden voyage right after running the "Carnage on the 'Con" event. Damn that was a while ago.

I need to get it running again :-(

-Sam
Old 08-24-2006, 09:58 AM   #14
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkySam
As mindwreck stated, they are actually replacements and not braces like your design. Dean has been running them on his red Landcruiser (formerly "Old Reliable" the silver one)

for a few years and had great success with them. Once we finished the design for the complete Axle-C, we withheld putting those drawings out to the machine shops until we saw how the first investement worked out.

-Sam
yup, these are great for a quick trail fix if you are running stock axles and break on the trail. just throw one on in less than 5 minuites and keep trail riding!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:17 AM   #15
PapaGriz Yo

There's nothing wrong with more than one business selling the same type of part, how many people sell 1:1 D60 axle "C's"? Competition is good for the consumer.

They both look like well made products. I want some myself, now which one to buy......
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:29 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4
There's nothing wrong with more than one business selling the same type of part, how many people sell 1:1 D60 axle "C's"? Competition is good for the consumer.

They both look like well made products. I want some myself, now which one to buy......
x2 can you imagine only one chassis? and actually a guy in taiwan has been selling the c's for about a year now
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:07 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:

I agree completely that competition is good for the customer and I'm all for it. What bothers me is when someone makes a near exact copy of what someone else has done and sells it. Just look at all the sticks being built by everyone. Do you think that hasn't hurt Kevin's sales at The Crawler Store? The good thing is no one is trying to sell a stick like his with minor changes, and they are being built for personal use which I have no problem with. I do believe however that I recall Kevin saying his patent pending covered the torsion designs too so I'm not sure about that as they are being sold by others.

Same type of part.......yes. Near exact copy.........................no! Just my opinion. Must be a reason people want to patent their ideas.

As far as the fellow in Taiwan I have seen his product and mine was not even similar for the most part as his was also a shock/link mount and machined out of a heavy piece.

David
Old 08-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #18
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanerc
I do believe however that I recall Kevin saying his patent pending covered the torsion designs too so I'm not sure about that as they are being sold by others.
Until his patent is approved there is nothing he can do. It also depends on how his patent is defined as to how well it protects his design. But that is a whole nuther story.

Quote:
Same type of part.......yes. Near exact copy.........................no! Just my opinion. Must be a reason people want to patent their ideas.
What I see is that your piece starts as a "U" shaped piece of channel aluminum and then you bend the ears down to make the "C". This is evident by the sharp edge running vertically.
Sam's starts as a flat piece and all 4 ears are bent.

So the ending dimensions for where the holes end up are the same (they have to be), but they are produced by two completely different manufacturing methods.
I have some experience in designing sheetmetal parts but correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 08-24-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:09 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Until his patent is approved there is nothing he can do. It also depends on how his patent is defined as to how well it protects his design. But that is a whole nuther story.

What I see is that your piece starts as a "U" shaped piece of channel aluminum and then you bend the ears down to make the "C". This is evident by the sharp edge running vertically.
Sam's starts as a flat piece and all 4 ears are bent.

So the ending dimensions for where the holes end up are the same (they have to be), but they are produced by two completely different manufacturing methods.
I have some experience in designing sheetmetal parts but correct me if I am wrong.

While correct about the manufacturing process it still does not mean that you can't come out with a product that is clearly based on another. Since everyone disagrees with me so be it. It's just not worth it.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:25 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
While correct about the manufacturing process it still does not mean that you can't come out with a product that is clearly based on another. Since everyone disagrees with me so be it. It's just not worth it.
not denying they are similar, so are the links you sell compared to others that made and sold them first.........or where have I seen these before

and I made a set of the c's the first day I got the axles. and I believe there is a post from long ago about a set identical to yours that far preceeds your parts.

there is enough difference between the 2 to warrant both, His is designed to use a new kingpin that increases GC, and yours are thinner material and much less in cost. there is a market for both
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote