Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Tube buggy "AIR RIDE"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 07:31 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

I agree with you both (Mad Scientist, StatusZuk) but to add a little to the topic. Not being sure cause he doesn't have a flat level picture but all articulated pics. Displaced air is displaced air whether it be in line bulge or shock extension. If airs not displaced it's leaking somewhere. That being said, I don't think he'd have the shocks fully extended on a flat surface cause that wouldn't leave room for the shocks to be able to move in and out. That would be like filling one shock to the rim with oil. The shock won't compress. I like the rubber glove analogy but they are a lot thinner than the hydro lines that he's using. My 2pennies.
Thundermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2006, 09:29 AM   #62
RCC Addict

Air is compressible, shock oil is not. I don't know the particulars of this system, like the stick TLT, going to have to try it and find out. But it is possible to have all 4 shocks fully extended at one time and all fully compressed at another. The time where all 4 are compressed will just increase the pressure.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:39 AM   #63
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermaxx
...I don't think he'd have the shocks fully extended on a flat surface cause that wouldn't leave room for the shocks to be able to move in and out...
True - the truck may squat a little when it is stitting level, I'm not sure. But, it is still possible to have enough PSI to keep the truck at full height at rest and still allow the shocks to compress. As Jamus touched on, you can compress air. So all you would need to do is overcome the force of the PSI pushing the shocks out. While the truck may sit at full height during rest while the weight is distributed evenly over all four shocks, the varied weight distribution that a truck encounters during articulation gives it the opportunity to compress the necessary shocks. Granted, proper PSI is key. You'll want just enough to keep the rig stable and at the height you want, but still allow for compression of the shocks. Lighter rig = lower pressure, Heavier rig = more pressure.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:53 AM   #64
RCC Addict

its just like springs at that point...

the amount of air he is running is like a 1.7lb spring. the air gets compressed the same as that spring, the only thing that is different is the shocks are linked together. so if you compress the front right all the other shocks are trying to push back towards that shock, basically making them a higher pressure at that point due to the displaced air........

i think that in its self makes this system superior for nosing over climbs and other actions comon in crawling.
4stAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #65
Rock Stacker

i know this is off on ur arguments about were the air goes when one shock is compressed, but i have two things to point out: 1st this is one tight rig and very smart. 2 doesnt the shock pistons have holes in them?

now my main reason for loging on (it has been months): earlier you have discussed what would be next, well i got an idea: why dont you have the front and rear on there own airsystems, and hook up a nother shock and have a survo working the other end, so you can add a front and rear drop!! to do this you would have to have shock/serringe(sp...the thing nurses use to draw blood on inject meds in to people) fully deextended then fill the system with air so when you have the servo pull the shock/serringe it will lower!!!

ps. i just thought of this now and just typed it out b4 i forget. i have no experience in this nor did i try it...but it was JUST A THOUGHT.
romeo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:45 PM   #66
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo26
i know this is off on ur arguments about were the air goes when one shock is compressed, but i have two things to point out: 1st this is one tight rig and very smart. 2 doesnt the shock pistons have holes in them?

now my main reason for loging on (it has been months): earlier you have discussed what would be next, well i got an idea: why dont you have the front and rear on there own airsystems, and hook up a nother shock and have a survo working the other end, so you can add a front and rear drop!! to do this you would have to have shock/serringe(sp...the thing nurses use to draw blood on inject meds in to people) fully deextended then fill the system with air so when you have the servo pull the shock/serringe it will lower!!!

ps. i just thought of this now and just typed it out b4 i forget. i have no experience in this nor did i try it...but it was JUST A THOUGHT.
damn that is a cool idea,

only thing I see about having the shocks connected is, if you start to go on a side hill the loow side shock will want to compress wich will make the high side want to extend, and it will probably fully compress the low side and fully extend the high side, which will give you horrible body roll. But enough talking we need some videos of this thing to see how it really does.
Full Penetration Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:06 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Yeah I'm ready for some vids. I think we all discussed, not argued, the original poster right out of his own thread.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:11 PM   #68
Rock Stacker

i have another idea! how about you use the same air system and fill it up with oil. then where all the lines connect, hock it up to another shock and that fifth shock will turn into a master cylinder. then hock up a servo to that master cylinder. then you can adjust your ride height and stiffness. if you make a master cylinder for the right and left side of the crawler, you will be able to adjust the angle, stiffness, and ride height of the truck. just think what you can do if you had a master cylinder for all four sides...... you would have to have your buddy control the suspension well you drive or you can even put a gyro on the crawler and it will self level its self.

just an idea.
rockbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:55 PM   #69
RCC Addict

that wont work, you cannot compress liquid.... the whole system is based on the added friction of the compressed air.
4stAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #70
Rock Stacker

i know you can't compress fluid, that's is why you have a master cylinder (extra shock) as a chamber and it works as a compressor or a decompressor
rockbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:39 PM   #71
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbuggy
i know you can't compress fluid, that's is why you have a master cylinder (extra shock) as a chamber and it works as a compressor or a decompressor
yeah but the suspention wont move unless you let it, the key would be air over hydrolic, Im not 100% sure how it works but i think you basicly have some oil in the shocks with the same setup you have hear, that way the shocks still dampen.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:41 PM   #72
Pebble Pounder

Ok quick vid. no editing, sorry. I was trying to get some good vid and my cheap-o ESC crapped out. Oh well. http://media.putfile.com/airshocks
blue302ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:46 PM   #73
RCC Addict

I think we are in trouble
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:49 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

awsome vid looks like a cool little place to crawl.
trost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #75
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue302ranger
Ok quick vid. no editing, sorry. I was trying to get some good vid and my cheap-o ESC crapped out. Oh well. http://media.putfile.com/airshocks
cool, looks like the body stays real level.

I like how for the music you had the radio on in the background
Old 09-13-2006, 10:13 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stAir
that wont work, you cannot compress liquid.... the whole system is based on the added friction of the compressed air.
I agree. Only way that would work is to say if you had the master cylinder shock with the piston fully compressed from the beginning and then you would just have the piston shaft as the room for displacement. For all four shocks I think you would need a little more than just one for that. I was thinking about that too after this air shock topic was brought up but it's more trouble than I think I feel like fooling with. Maybe somebody else will do it and I'll duplicate it when they do. I'm rolling on springs for now though. May try the air deal but later.

Great vid! Looks like it handle real well.

Last edited by Thundermaxx; 09-13-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Thundermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:07 AM   #77
Pebble Pounder

Can you give us an update on how this setup has been working??

Last edited by Vu14TJ; 10-18-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Vu14TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:58 AM   #78
Pebble Pounder

I would also like to see the long term effects on the system.
need some carbon fiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:44 PM   #79
RCC Addict

No kidding. I have some TLT shocks sitting here doing nothing...
BlueMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:02 PM   #80
Pebble Pounder

i think i have a solution to the problem that the guy with the air ride suspension has been having. i saw this trend started, and read all 4 pages so i can get a little info on the idea.
a solution to the hose comming off the fitting problem will be this,....

go to a paintball pro shop, and ask for an internal hose kit for some of the electronic paintball markers, and find the one kit that contains the proper length hose size u need. get the barb fittings, and then replace ur equipment with the new hoses and fittings.

i know for a fact, that the hoses will hold a high amount of PSI because the hose kit in my paintball marker is rated for high pressure @ 800 psi...
insane is offline   Reply With Quote