Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: No Name comp buggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 01:33 AM   #81
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
But it's not for sale so don't ask
Everythings for sale but your son I thought
drumbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbeater View Post
Everythings for sale but your son I thought
True, but It'd have be some ridiculous $$$$ involved.

So here's a pic of the some of the carnage Slinkysam took at the comp. You can still see the broken axle in the housing.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:41 AM   #83
I wanna be Dave

I received some parts today to make this thing a bit more comp friendly and went to work. I got two new link mounts from the awesome guys at RCP Crawlers, thanks again guys. While installing them I noticed that when the rear link mount let go it also cracked the housing. Then while switching it out, the little Y inside the diff had a broken pin. So JB weld came to the rescue and is now packed inside the diff & hopefully curing nicely. So the final list of broken or damaged parts from the last folsom comp goes as follows:
1. front long side axle shaft(old style from the OG rockbuster axles that were on Ralph)
2. rear link mount, plastic one from TLT kit
3. Cut in Losi Rock Claw
4. cracked housing where the link mount screws down(I modded the housing to use 4 screws instead of 2)
5. Y inside the differential carrier

Do I get the most broke award or what?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:07 AM   #84
RCC Addict

sounds pretty decent hahaha. p.s. i have that same crappy ruler except its orange.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Oh man you got the orange one, crap!
To get ready for the Bean, I scored some countersunk screws and flush mounted my my axial rock rings with some 2-56 SS screws. Looks sick and is all flat and will slip right thru cracks without any holds ups.

EDIT: also scored some straight axle adapters from MSD, so I'll be taking it back apart to cut the housing and install them. I may also take my stock outer shafts from the front and grind them down for better steering. Hopefully it'll help. I can't afford CVD's just yet, unless someone wants to give me a set and I'll glady sticker my rig hint hint sponsorship

Last edited by rckjeep; 01-13-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

So after a couple comps I'm looking to make it more capable. What do you guys think would allow me to perform better at comps?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:24 PM   #87
Im Brandon

Quote:
So after a couple comps I'm looking to make it more capable. What do you guys think would allow me to perform better at comps?
Whats your center clearance? Drop it down if you can. How much weight are you running in the wheels? What foams?
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:31 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Been while since I've seen this rig, how you liking it is it performing like you want?
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:43 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

the center clearence is slightly adjustable, but it sits pretty low around 2.5" i think. I'm running 4oz. on the axle and the wheels are wrapped if I remember right. I know CVD's would help with steering as well as dig but I don't think there's enough room in the chassis for dig. I'd also like to change my ESC but size is the limiting factor. I'm running the Novak XRS. I'm thinking I should grind the outer axle cups down for better steering, since the ones I took out were all worn in the cup. I don't get much torque twist so the suspension is pretty dialed. I'm running stock Losi foams, uncut. any thoughts?

I think the main thing is my driving, honestly. Mugsy seemed to be a ballerina(sp) at the last comp. I think it's my lack of looking forward at the course instead of the gate I'm at. For the people who've watched me compete what do you think?

Last edited by rckjeep; 01-24-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #90
Im Brandon

Quote:
the center clearence is slightly adjustable, but it sits pretty low around 2.5" i think. I'm running 4oz. on the axle and the wheels are wrapped if I remember right. I know CVD's would help with steering as well as dig but I don't think there's enough room in the chassis for dig. I'd also like to change my ESC but size is the limiting factor. I'm running the Novak XRS. I'm thinking I should grind the outer axle cups down for better steering, since the ones I took out were all worn in the cup. I don't get much torque twist so the suspension is pretty dialed. I'm running stock Losi foams, uncut. any thoughts?

I think the main thing is my driving, honestly. Mugsy seemed to be a ballerina(sp) at the last comp. I think it's my lack of looking forward at the course instead of the gate I'm at. For the people who've watched me compete what do you think?
Center clearance is fine where you have it.

Those weights on the axle could be moved to the wheels, that will lower the cog slightly. Put a stiffer/shorter foams in the tires, helps with sidehilling.

Suspension looks good, feels good too. Sorry I haven't been able to see you run much. Im usually staring at the paint

Definitely get CVD's, it helps with the "oops the next gate is over there" and can save you a few reverses.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #91
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
I know CVD's would help with steering as well as dig but I don't think there's enough room in the chassis for dig. I'd also like to change my ESC but size is the limiting factor. I'm running the Novak XRS. I'm thinking I should grind the outer axle cups down for better steering, since the ones I took out were all worn in the cup.
If your not running dig then you need to tweak your steering to get the most out of it. If your rig doesn't turn the absolute best it can then without dig your just asking for reverse penalties.

A good ESC helps a lot with over all smooth control. You should get a Mamba Max for the best performance.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:30 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

is the Rooster Crawler any good. I know it has a great drag brake. I only ask because it's a bit cheaper. I'll have to see what my cost is on the Max.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:26 PM   #93
RCC Addict

Dave, I think your rig is fairly capable. Crawling with you that one day at the corner park, both yours and TINY performed similarly maybe yours even better thanks to ground clearance.

I'd probably lean the most towards driving skills. I know you beat yourself saying you aren't a good driver, but when we were crawling for fun, you drove really well. So maybe just practice practice practice will be the best improvement for you at this time. Not only just driving, but driving with someone that can give good technical pointers. Dean, Dustin, and Brandon are really up on their skills and tricks and getting out with them and watching would be an awesome lesson. Learn your rig as it stands now and tweak it once you feel super comfortable with it as it stands. Then your modifications will make more sense.

I agree with others that turning is a fundamental element in comps. I lose so many points each time I go out because of it. While you don't necessarily need dig, it can improve your score leaps and bounds when used appropriately. A sharp turning will help a lot, both in turning regularly, but also making the dig work more efficiently if you go that route.

I personally would agree with getting a Mamba Max just because I have one and for the most part like it. The control gain thanks to the drag brake makes the difference here.

-Sam
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:09 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

I totally agree but was curious what some of the guys who score better thought could be improved. Anyone up for trip to the waterfalls in the future?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

made the rig hydraulic assist. Should help out with the steering

Also went out to the mini hammers today to play in between the rains

Last edited by rckjeep; 02-03-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #96
Oppan Gangnam Style

Nice, I almost made it out to the mini hammers but my friggin' back was killing me again. Stuck in bed or on the couch today.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #97
I wanna be Dave

sorry to hear that Dean. It's changed a lot since I was last here. A ton of rock has fallen in.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:57 AM   #98
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Also went out to the mini hammers today to play in between the rains
Dave
thanks for showing me the mini hammers, way cool spot

and your a bad influence in a good way LOL
tacodab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:16 AM   #99
I wanna be Dave

So I'm thinking about picking up a CC Sidewinder to help with the crawlability on this rig. Any comments.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:26 AM   #100
Im Brandon

Quote:
So I'm thinking about picking up a CC Sidewinder to help with the crawlability on this rig. Any comments.
I havent used one yet, everything I hear says its just as good as the mamba max but it cant handle the high powered brushless. If thats true you cant loose I would recommend the caslte bec to power the steering too.