Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 2013 j2-tt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 2013 j2-tt

Hello!
TLT's are pretty-well dead to this forum, but I'm still enthused with them!

I recently finished a TLT build on a TCS Eclipse tube chassis, but I just wanted something different. Since I'll be working with/stealing parts from an already-assembled rig, updates should be plentiful. Back when they were new, I owned a J2-TT and loved it. With this build I'm looking to relive some of that former glory and excitement. I basically just have this rig because not running a dig is fun, shafty rigs are great, scalers and 1.9's leave alot to be desired, and because it's nice to have something else for a friend to drive if the need ever arises.

These first pics are VERY basic, but I had to at least break the ice on this thread. I forgot to take pics before the drill got broke out...

Here's the chassis I'll be using:

Here's the skid. It's delrin, made for a stock AX-10

To make the skid work with the chassis, I had to drill holes in the chassis. I kinda overlapped the holes, but it seems stable enough

I have to go make food, but I'll probably post another update tonight
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 2013 j2-tt

I got the skid mounted, which proved to be perfectly easy with the new holes I drilled. I was also able to re-use my old hardware. I also cleaned-up and mounted my transmission. As you can tell, it's from an AX-10 and I've added a spur cover. At the transmission (and the axles) I'll be running steel Traxxas Stampede yokes, and Stampede shafts. For a motor, I'll be running an Axial 27t that I had laying around. It's not too great of a motor, but I truly enjoy the wheelspeed on 3S

Here's pics

I'm now messing with lower links and shocks. I'm not too sure how it'll all work, and I may have to order different shocks. The SCX-10 shocks I'm currently running may be too short... I'll probably update tomorrow afternoon sometime

Last edited by grob23; 03-27-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I've got a TLT sportsman and a TLT scaler,I'll watch this.
ratterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Somebodies gotta keep this section alive. I'm still rockin a TLT scaler I'm watchin
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I got a little work done today. I got all my links assembled. I'll be running Axial links (98mm) with straight Axial ends and Traxxas balls. These will soon see some oven cleaner! I want to get this rig driving first...

I then had to modify my skid. With the extra material in front of the holes for the links, the links had limited mobility and wanted to bind. I fixed this with a hack saw

Before I broke out the hack saw, I got a little antsy and tried side cutters. I messed up this hole pretty good... it still works perfectly, but it looks horrible. Oh well, Sketchy but Effective!

And here's is how my rig is currently sitting

Last bit of info for this update is my wheel setup. I'll be running Axial Rocksters. The front rings are stock, and have been drilled so the hardware rides flush (by a previous owner). The hardware has also been upgraded. I'm not entirely sure on the size but it seems just a tad bigger than the factory Axial hardware. The rear rings are stock, as is the hardware. I plan to get rid of the green on the rings for now, but these wheels will eventually get a set of rings from MTHead

Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Last bit for tonight...

I worked with my wheels and got my tires mounted up. I'll be running blue-dot rovers with the stock foams. Rovers simply work good around here MTHead rings on the way!

And these are the axles

They're built pretty heavily. Both the front and rear have full bearings, RCP lockers and pinions, and Dinky-Links. The Front also has MSD C's, and RCP Knuckles. The rear has RCP Lockouts. Unfortunately, both axles are running on the stock axle shafts... glad I got spares! I wont be able to run the orange clamping hexes in the front, but the rear will probably retain them.

Next, I'll try and start mounting the axles. I'm still unsure of what to do about the shocks... anyone ever seen someone mod the caps for link-ends on the SCX shocks?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I got a little more done today. I modded the shocks last night to accept Axial link ends. This gave me just enough added length eye-to-eye to make me happy. It was surprisingly easy and quick, and made a world of difference! I also got the axles (and shocks) mounted. While mounting the axles was a piece of cake, mounting the shocks to the chassis took a bit of thinking. The front came together nicely and I think I'm pleased (yes, that's a brace from a TLT kit!) The rear is very tentative. It works, but I may change it. The electronics have a factor in mounting the rear shocks...

Here's pics of how it currently sits

I'm hoping to get the upper links figured out soon. I have plans this weekend, so updates/time to tinker will be scarce
Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
MODERATOR™

Nice! I have a soft spot for the J2. I did some good ass kicking with it competing.

Long live Reign RC!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Nice! I have a soft spot for the J2. I did some good ass kicking with it competing.

Long live Reign RC!
I love this chassis! The clean lines are what does it for me I think... but regardless, Long live Reign RC!

The rear end is finished. It took quite a bit of tinkering, but I managed to finally come up with an upper-link combo that I'm pleased with. I had to use some random spacers I had layin around, but it'll work for now. Eventually, I want to get a set of delrin links for this rig. But that may be a while. I also got the rear driveshaft swapped to a steel yoke and bolted up. This rig is coming together great, I'm stoked!

Here's a couple pics (don't mind the 70's counter-top...)

I'm on my way to place an order with McMaster-Carr for beadlock hardware, and one to RPP for some Mini-T springs and a few wheel-nuts. I can't wait to get some electronics in this rig and drive it!

Last edited by grob23; 03-28-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
RCC Addict

The front took alotta tinkering too... but it's done!

Notice that I trimmed one of the servo plate stabilizers from the axle housing... it's for my servo/battery plate! Next I'll work on steering...
Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Coming together nicely Are the parts to get theses puppies steering good still available? Only real complaint about my TLT scaler.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
Coming together nicely Are the parts to get theses puppies steering good still available? Only real complaint about my TLT scaler.
I'm not sure about that... if there's any hope/parts left I would bet RCP has em

And... here's my steering! Just using Axial links and ends. My tie-rod is 98mm, which may be too short, but I prefer a bit of toe (in) For the plate I started with a piece of strap aluminum, cut it to length, rounded the corners, drilled a few holes, and filed everything smooth. Out of all the servo/battery plates I've made over the years, this one's my favorite

It's about time for electronics. Then I'll mount the body. Once the body is mounted I'll go outside and get some proper sunlight pics
Old 03-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Cool build and glad to see old school tlt-1 being built. They will never die.

Sent From My 2500 HD Tapatalk 2
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpede View Post
They will never die.
Never

I got some more work done. Servo, Battery, and linkage all sorted out/mounted. I also got my wheels/tires thrown on and some rear Mini-T springs installed. I'm extremely close, basically all I have left is to mount the rest of my electronics and to mount the body.

Here's a couple quick pics

I'm still unsure about putting Mini-T springs in the rear. I guess it depends on if I have enough parts to mod the shocks... (I'll eventually hit-up JeepinDoug for some spring cups) My rings from MTHead also came in, but without hardware I'll hold of on mounting them or pics. I believe the last thing I've got to order is hardware for my beadlocks, so updates should flow pretty smooth from here on out
Old 03-31-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Here's what I have for my electronics:

It's an electronics box from an SCX-10. I tried to mount it lower, but I can't squeeze it past the motor, so it has to ride on top. I'm not sure if I should leave them mounted like this, or abandon ship and just mount them on top of my rear upper links. Maybe this setup rides too high... opinions?

Here's a couple more pics:

I don't have the stuff to put Mini-T springs in the rear, so it'll hafta wait untill I get some cups from JeepinDoug. All that's left is to solder the motor leads, and mount the body. It'll never be "done" but I'll at least be able to drive it
Old 04-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Is there any updates.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Nothing new to report... I got rings from MTHead to put on, but I need to order hardware first. I'll order hardware when I get payed. I also have the body ready to go, just needs mounted. I've also been tossing around the idea of mounting the electonics on a scrap piece of lexan so I can mount them lower (on my rear links), and lower my COG a bit. I'm pretty lazy, so updates may be few and far between, but I'll eventually get this finished up and get some pictures posted
Old 04-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #18

I always liked the TLT-1, even in stock form it was a cool little truck. Nice build, looks like fun!
youthmanrcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Finally, an update!

Here are the rings I ordered:

I got some SS button head hardware to complete the package, just gotta bolt everything together.

All that's left to do is figure out my shocks (I broke one last week on it's maiden voyage..), mount the body, and position my electronics lower. Then I'll drive the crap out of it (and replace stuff) until I get bored and tear it apart to build something new. Or sell it...

Pics of the finished wheels tomorrow after I get em all mounted up and stuff
Old 04-25-2013, 01:07 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Cool can't wait to see pics of the wheels mounted.

2013 j2-tt - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013?? TURBOFEST Past Events 107 05-17-2013 12:09 AM
2013 greetings Docwolf Kansas 36 02-14-2013 02:46 PM
Wcrcc 2012/2013 comp #4 feb 2, 2013 tapped-out Competitions 12 01-27-2013 09:30 AM
WCRCC 2012/2013 Season Comp #3 1/5/2013 rcjunky3 Competitions 12 01-07-2013 09:46 AM