Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The little bug that could

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2006, 03:53 AM   #21
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Default Tires Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon635
it did awsome. was actually suprised. the only thing it didnt handle as well as i would of liked was side hilling, if that is a word.
Another thing killing your sidehilling MIGHT be the tires. I switched to Mashers from Moabs and there was a noticeable difference in lateral traction.

I think it might have to do with the fact that the Mashers have a wider tread area so there's less pressure whereas the Moabs are narrower and apply more pressure to a smaller area. Or... it could all be in my head. I'll have to do more tire swapping to know for sure.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2006, 04:47 AM   #22
RCC Addict

That is the most awesome crawl spot I have ever seen. Nice.

Cheers 8-)
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:10 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

nice rig, awesome crawling place too, you just made me want to get back and finish my XRC, thanks man for the inspiration.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:34 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B
Another thing killing your sidehilling MIGHT be the tires. I switched to Mashers from Moabs and there was a noticeable difference in lateral traction.

I think it might have to do with the fact that the Mashers have a wider tread area so there's less pressure whereas the Moabs are narrower and apply more pressure to a smaller area. Or... it could all be in my head. I'll have to do more tire swapping to know for sure.
well i noticed not just in 2.2 but also on my super that mashers dont like to sidehill very well. i mean dont get me wrong, they are great tires but i think that moabs do sidehill a little better then mashers.

i also noticed at our last comp that with the high clearance links, i had no trouble clearing some areas of the courses but others had trouble. i am still playing with a setup for the left rear shock to try to eliminate some of the torque twist between the springs/oil weight

thanks guys for the compliments

Last edited by yukon635; 10-07-2006 at 05:36 PM.
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:46 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

One thing I did was drill more holes in my tire to let the air flow in and out much faster. I like how my Mashers perform a LOT better now because of it.

I also cut grooves on the outside of the foams, in addition to the star pattern.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:05 PM   #26
RCC Addict

i have four breather holes in the wheels and run almost no foams but because i added sidewall tread to them, the sidewall seems to be a little stiffer. i dont know we shall see. i liked the star pattern but didnt like all the hop that came with it.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:35 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i have four breather holes in the wheels and run almost no foams but because i added sidewall tread to them, the sidewall seems to be a little stiffer. i dont know we shall see. i liked the star pattern but didnt like all the hop that came with it.
I've seen some mashers that were siped sideways that helped quite a bit on side hills.

Last edited by LIKES2CRAWL; 10-08-2006 at 11:40 PM.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #28

Love the truck can't wait to get my XRC going. Where is that crawl spot?
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:15 PM   #29
RCC Addict

its here in auburn at Chewacla state park. its a good place to crawl down by the waterfall but you have to walk down hill for a good 75 yds. thru a small walking trail. thats not bad, but going back up will kill you. i have to charge all my batts before i leave and take them with me to make the trip back up worth it
Old 10-08-2006, 11:38 PM   #30
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
well i noticed not just in 2.2 but also on my super that mashers dont like to sidehill very well. i mean dont get me wrong, they are great tires but i think that moabs do sidehill a little better then mashers.

i also noticed at our last comp that with the high clearance links, i had no trouble clearing some areas of the courses but others had trouble. i am still playing with a setup for the left rear shock to try to eliminate some of the torque twist between the springs/oil weight

thanks guys for the compliments
So I'm not crazy! I have XRC hi-clearance links too and I noticed a big difference between hi-clearance rig and my straight-linked rig. I thought they wouldn't help any because the pinion would grab the rocks, but, because the radius of the tire is greater than the length of the pinion, the pinion will clear most waterfall type obstacles without hanging up.

With straight links, the links will drag before tire makes contact with the edge so you gotta have some extra oomph to slide the links along.

This info may be obvious to most, but it actually didn't make sense to me until I ran my straight-linked rig the other day. :?
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:43 PM   #31
RCC Addict

yeah, in those last series of pics, showing it crawl thru that crack, there is now way that i would have made it up that with ease like i did with the high clearance links. well i might of made it up but with a little umph and maybe some sliding until the tires grabbed, by then i might have hit a gate marker at a comp.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:23 PM   #32
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B

I have never gotten moabs to sidehill better than mashers. The biggest thing to watch out for is the sidewall rolling under on the tire, with the mashers and the correct foam setup I can keep that from happening. While with moabs it takes a lot more work. I dont know how many times I have switched back and forth, but the mashers are what im currently running and happy with. Just my 2 cents there
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:50 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

just curious what brand of paint you used & what color it happens to be. every time I see your bug i stare at it for 5 minutes. PM me because i'm curious as to the steps you took to get that amazing look. thanks!
srfrkyle1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:34 AM   #34
RCC Addict

it is tamiya copper paint. all i can say about painting bodies is the more you do, the better you get. make sure you clean the inside of it off really good and get all the little dust/lint particles out of it. I like to measure and make the holes for my body posts before i paint just cause you can see them. jmo. and when you do the window masks or using liquid mask for a design, make sure everything is pressed down good and that they make a tight seal. then spray away
Old 10-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing
I have never gotten moabs to sidehill better than mashers. The biggest thing to watch out for is the sidewall rolling under on the tire, with the mashers and the correct foam setup I can keep that from happening. While with moabs it takes a lot more work. I dont know how many times I have switched back and forth, but the mashers are what im currently running and happy with. Just my 2 cents there
i still like my mashers over the moabs but the deal with sidehilling isnt really the tires but the fact that my rearend wants to come over the top. i am planning on adding a little bit of weight to the rear but not much to see if that helps