Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Johnson420's 2.2 Comp Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2006, 08:55 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

I like the way you combined the outdrives, but I have a suggestion that may make it a bit more durable, and easily maintained. If you welded up the ends of the slots on the outdrives, then used a bolt or crosspin through the slot into hole on the U-joint shaft it would allow you to removed the U-joint from the outdrive, and would give you a slider of sorts. The other way you could close the ends of the outdrives would be to weld a piece of tube over the outside of the end of the outdrive, so the bolt or crosspin setup would not fall out. Just a couple ideas.
All Out Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2006, 09:07 PM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Here's a drawing, hope this helps make sense of my terminology.
[/IMG]
All Out Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:03 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee7
I didn't use those Fiber shims you gave us a link to in post #23 but I did use shims from disc brakes for a bicycle. They are the same width (.5mm) as the ones you posted. I started out using 1 shim per pinion gear and actually stripped out the rear ring and pinion after a while. I ended up putting 3 shims in per pinion (1.5mm of shimmage) and it seems a little tight, 2 shims per axle would be best. I just wanted the extra insurance that I wouldn't trash another ring and pinion
The way I shimmed my Ring and Pinion

When I first built the axles I didn't know they needed to be shimmed.
So I ran them for about 2 hours with no shims.

After several members brought it to my attention that it would be a good idea to shim them up, I took there advise and open the axles up.
There was fine metal shavings inside already and you could see the wear on the gears.

Just by the wear I could see on the gears told me where the shim would go. I still tried multiple shims and different shim placement to see what would work best.
Using only ONE SHIM to push the ring gear in toward the pinion worked best for me.

Last edited by Johnson420; 10-15-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Johnson420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:22 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Out Racing
I like the way you combined the outdrives, but I have a suggestion that may make it a bit more durable, and easily maintained. If you welded up the ends of the slots on the outdrives, then used a bolt or crosspin through the slot into hole on the U-joint shaft it would allow you to removed the U-joint from the outdrive, and would give you a slider of sorts. The other way you could close the ends of the outdrives would be to weld a piece of tube over the outside of the end of the outdrive, so the bolt or crosspin setup would not fall out. Just a couple ideas.
I was gonna try the cross pin setup, but I didn't think it would be as strong as welding it...... and the hole in the U-Joint shaft goes in farther than slot in the outdrive would allow. I would have to drill a new cross pin hole in the shaft.

Also with the slipper on the Stealth I don't plan on having to take the tranny apart EVER. Well at least I hope I never have to take it apart because these welds aren't gonna break like the last ones did.
Johnson420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:23 PM   #45
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson420
Using only ONE SHIM to push the ring gear in toward the pinion worked best for me.

Same here.

Great lookin' rig.

Only bad thing about black...scratches show very easily.

Future floor wax won't remove scratches, but it'll hide'm for most pictures.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote