Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Paul's TLT Build - The Trouble maker~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Paul's TLT Build - The Trouble maker~

Well, i've been around this forum for a couple weeks and I've loved just about EVERYTHING I've seen from the tubers to the custom chop shop jobs. But the builds that catch my eye the most are the scale/TLT supers and such, so thats where I decided to start. So heres what i've made.. I started off with just modding the TLT chassis which I thought came out good but I could do better..

I wasn't satisified so I took it another step further..

Then I decided that WASN'T gonna work. Where the heck would I put a pede tranny? But the travel on this guy was Awesome.. Maybe it'll work later for a clod but not this not now.. So I put some thought into it and I came up with this... I call her... The Trouble Maker M1 (TM1) I thought it was only fitting, those whom have been paying attention know why.. hehe.. But I love this thing. Maybe it needs more work, maybe it's good. I won't know til I try it, but I made it and I love it!

I'm really disappointed in the amount of travel, but it's mostly because the shocks I have now, they won't allow the axle to go further than this, they hit metal to metal on the bolt where it mounts to the chassis, but my new shocks should fix that problem. (when I get them)

The electronics aren't mounted, they're just sitting in there right now, thats my mission for today, get that stuff sitting pretty. As for the battery, I think I want to go custom, 8 cells, 4 on each side mounted as seen.

I'm still waiting on my wheel wideners from the crawling store, and the shocks. Oh and my heavy duty turn links as well, so more to come.

Oh and I ended up with a wheel base of 13 and an half, so needless to say the standard driveshaft from the rustler won't do me anymore.. Any sugguestions? Or should I just mod the rustler stuff and elongate it? I kinda don't like the idea of using plastic, i'm more of a metallic kinda guy. And I know I've seen some metal shafties, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
PaulEZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

if your going for a 2.2 rig your gonna need to bring it down to 12.5 and the width can go up to 12.5.

the second version looks like it would be killer for a clod!
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Chassis came out nice.

Good work
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clod booster
if your going for a 2.2 rig your gonna need to bring it down to 12.5 and the width can go up to 12.5.

It is what it is, i'm not trying to fit any one mold(label).
Old 10-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J
Chassis came out nice.

Good work
Thanks Double J, that means a lot coming from you.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulezk
It is what it is, i'm not trying to fit any one mold(label).
so you stated earlier that "the builds that catch my eye the most are the scale/TLT supers and such, so thats where I decided to start" and then ended up with neither a super, scale or 2.2 build?

And just so you know... there are not a lot of tlt supers...
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #7
Web Wheeling

Quote:

He never said it was a comp rig, so shut it

Its a great looking truck, much better then a lot of the hack jobs out there.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ya, once this rig is fully running and I'm satisified with it, and after I get my star, I'm going to start working on that guy as a clod rig and see where I can take it.. But for now hes gotta go on the shalf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy
so you stated earlier that "the builds that catch my eye the most are the scale/TLT supers and such, so thats where I decided to start" and then ended up with neither a super, scale or 2.2 build?

And just so you know... there are not a lot of tlt supers...

Yeah maybe i'll just make my own custom catagory.

Last edited by PaulEZK; 10-04-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:27 PM   #9
Powered by Awesome

Quote:
only if your going to compete... otherwise, tear it up!

love the chassis, kinda looks like a junfac design.
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:23 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Trial and error pays off, looks great.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:00 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Little update, I just made the transmission mount while I was in the shop.. No pictures but one will follow probably tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:05 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Another update.. I got my wideners, turn links, and shocks and I'm loving it, i've seen better travel but it's sooo much better than what I had with my previous shocks.. Everything is mounted minus the custom batteries i've yet to purchase. Same goes with my 55 turn motor. And that stuff is pending my next paycheck.

No pictures yet as I just moved and still don't have internet at my new place.. Hopefully that will be taken care of next week.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I got a picture update..

What I've done..
Well I changed the shocks, and the weight of the oil. I changed the positioning of the 4 links they're now paralell and they are more in line with the X idea so my travel is now where I wanted it orgininally. So the truck runs now, I've played with it a few times and done some mild crawling and it WORKS!!

Things I've left to do are as follows,
Glue the tires, I really wanna do 2.2 so I can have less of the rim hitting the ground when arc'ed, but that may be out of my reach for now and I may save that as a future mod. (Missing the necessary tools)
Lock the front and rear axles( any sugguestion as to the best way of doing this?
SEMI lock the pede tranny(I got an idea of what to do here from a vet)
I want to lower the tranny so i have less of an extreme angle on the driveshaft, but still working on that idea.
I want to replace my driveshafts with something else, haven't decided what yet.
Oh and I'm aware my battery placement is well jacked, I intend to fix that so it's somewheres low and center, i'm thinking of doing up a custom battery placement.
I need to add skid plates to my axles and the undercarige. (Waiting for some Delrin)

Any sugguestions comments?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I love that body on your rig so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:21 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam Bam
I love that body on your rig so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's the standard rustler body(the new one).. I got a silverado awaiting some paint, i have a paint scheme but no one to paint yet.. I'm hoping to find someone local.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:25 PM   #16
2006 2.2 National Champ

Nice work. One thing I'd suggest is leaning the top of the shocks in towards the chassis more. You could also space the lower shock mounts out more too.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
Nice work. One thing I'd suggest is leaning the top of the shocks in towards the chassis more. You could also space the lower shock mounts out more too.
I was trying to make the vertical view of the shock straight, whats the advantage of leaning it towards the chassis?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:10 PM   #18
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulezk
I was trying to make the vertical view of the shock straight, whats the advantage of leaning it towards the chassis?
It looks like the shock is binding a little in the pics. You want the stroke of the shock to flow with the axles, as much as possible. Leaning upper mounts in or moving lower mounts out will eliminate the bind.

Move that batttery down on top of the front servo too.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:13 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
It looks like the shock is binding a little in the pics. You want the stroke of the shock to flow with the axles, as much as possible. Leaning upper mounts in or moving lower mounts out will eliminate the bind.

Move that batttery down on top of the front servo too.
alright that works.. thanks bender i apprieciate it. :-)
Old 10-09-2006, 08:48 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Ya I noticed the same thing Bender did. Bring the top part of the shock in and the bottoms out just a little. That will help with the flex also, but in the new updated shots your flex looks fine. Thats chassis looks good.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote