Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My first crawler, SW2 and junfac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My first crawler, SW2 and junfac

Hi there,

I usually post things in the german "rc-monster-trucks.de"-Forum, where I am really at home, but my newest RC projekt was inspired mostly by reading everthing I could here on one of my favourite sites in the net. Thanks first.

Now I want to introduce what it all ended with: My first crawler !

I orderes a SW2 from the states, wich arrived very quick and build a very common TLT crawler with it, just to get started with the whole thing. Nothing special for most of you....
But I like to show it anyway.

Here a pic of my chassis during the building process:

I am using the junfac axlemounts and lower links, that works fine with a 12,5" whellbase if you shorten them ca 10mm. For the upper links, I used the original lowers from the TLT chassis with triangulation at the servoplates.

I am still using the original TLT shocks, but I will swap those later for some better ones, but a new body is more important now and still in the post. Maybe christmas for the shocks

Meanwhile I had my first testdrive in the wet german forest, and please forgive me for the ugly, old stampede body that I had to use and cut for it. Will be replaced for something more scale...

The result: I was totaly impressed (I never drove a crawler before) and I am now really in love with crawling. Sadly, its very early dark outside in autum, when i come home from work. I cant wait till next weekend, to drive the TLT again around the frankenstein-castle rocks at my hometown (I live at the foot of an very neat castle, named "frankenstein", where Mary Shelley got her inspiration for writing her famous novel, really true !). I will post pictures of that later.

Thanks again for the great influences and to Brad, your chassis is great !!!

Pete

... and forgive me my "broken english"
greasypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

It's really great to see someone go at building with pride and enthusiasm. You've done a nice job so far and I can already see your truck being something formidable down the road.

Oh, and the body... I've seen ahellofalot worse!
zBigBadWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

What he said^^, it actually looks very nice
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:12 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

lookin cool
snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:50 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Talking

That looks good
Shane
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:08 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Your English ain't bad at all, dude. Welcome.
You are off to a good start, nice looking build.
I've also seen WAAAY worse bodies, or guys running a chassis w/ no body at all, which IMO just does'nt "look" right (unless it's a tuber) or, even worse, a 1:18th body on a 1:10th chassis.
I can't bring myself to even undertake a short test run w/o slapping the body on.
Are the stock TLT shocks too soft for your setup? I found that when I used them in a configuration like you have vs. the stock TLT cantilever setup, they were just way too soft. Just sitting the chassis on the ground, it would sag through over half it's travel. Moving the mounting points to decrease the leverage on the shocks ended up jacking the ride height way beyond what I considered acceptable. And there are no replacement springs of different rates available, unless you can source the same diameter and length spring in a heavier rate from some other source besides rc retailers. You'll want to go with some T-maxx shocks or something similar.

Last edited by Big Mike; 11-17-2006 at 07:20 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:55 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypete
I cant wait till next weekend, to drive the TLT again around the frankenstein-castle rocks at my hometown (I live at the foot of an very neat castle, named "frankenstein", where Mary Shelley got her inspiration for writing her famous novel, really true !). I will post pictures of that later.
Welcome to the addition better known as RC Crawling! Dude, and don't think there is any way you can escape naming your rig "Frankenstein" now!
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thanks.

I was starting to work on the new body today. I was cutting some lexan from the fenders, to get the courier body to fit. The only point where the tires rub now, are the edges of the front bumper. Itīs going to look scale, isnīt it ?

Hmm, I am not sure what colour to choose....

Old 11-17-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
Are the stock TLT shocks too soft for your setup? I found that when I used them in a configuration like you have vs. the stock TLT cantilever setup, they were just way too soft.
Yes, indeed. On rocks like on the fourth picture it is no problem, but i tried a realy rocky trail, with big stones, where the suspension was to soft. I will go for maxx ones, I am sure.

BTW: I was trying to get a fastlane aluminium tranny to fit in the chassis (I had this left over from another project), wich did not work well, because i dont want to drill holes through the skidplate. Maybe i can modify the alu case to fit later, I think it would look nice inside this chassis. I am not sure wich one is lighter.

Pete

Last edited by greasypete; 11-17-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:28 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Smile

Great start! I am also building up a TLT. I thought they were they coolest looking rigs when I came across this site. I havn't agotten as far as you yet as mine is still a rolling chassis but I have my Clod based rig to satisfy my crawling needs for now. :-P
Don't apologize for your "broken" english as most of us would love to have command of a second language as well as you do.
rkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:46 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

greasypete - who makes the couier body?? is that a ford couier body??
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:51 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

The Ford courier Body is from Proline. I think, not actual in production anymore, but with luck you can find one.

I still need to put some more stickers onto it.

Any suggestion what I should do with the edge of the front bumper, where the tires still rub when full into compression ? I dont really want to cut more of it away...:-(

Pete
Old 11-19-2006, 06:49 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Done !

ready to hit some rocks at the frankenstein
Old 11-19-2006, 08:29 AM   #14
Official Cook of the ECC

Very nice!
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:47 AM   #15
RCC Addict

That looks really nice.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Any suggestion what I should do with the edge of the front bumper, where the tires still rub when full into compression ? I dont really want to cut more of it away...:-(
The truck looks real sweet!

I had an idea a long time ago when I was building one of my clods and had the same problem. I had come up with a semi-floating body mount that would move the body up as the axle approached max articulation. It involves having the body posts cut and held in position by springs and a small post at the lower shock mount that would push the body up.

I never quite worked out the details although I did start a prototype.
zBigBadWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Done !

ready to hit some rocks at the frankenstein
Looks awesome, Pete...I can't wait to get my project going
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:37 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

looks really good, great job on the build, and great body choice!
Rc EnthuSiasTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:52 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Finaly I got the fastlane aluminium tranny to fit into the Bender. It was quite simple, no extra holes needed. I just went with two 3mm machine screws through the existing mounting holes and used a flangenut to bolt it onto the SW2 plate. It has a very tight fit and do not have any play like the stock pede case.

I used a motor shim to get the pinion in the right position to fit. Looks clean now and the motor is easy to work at.

What I noticed is, that the alumium tranny is a bit more heavier on the right side of the chassis, wich gives a better counterweight for the motor. The sad thing is, that the overall weight was a little increased. Not much, but it was.

Now I really hope to get this rig on the rocks next weekend!! But with the body on, you did not see very much of the new transmission case ...

Cheers Pete
Old 11-20-2006, 06:24 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

I love your body....very nice
Taztoyo is offline   Reply With Quote