Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 100 Proof FJ-40 Tuber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2006, 07:27 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 100 Proof FJ-40 Tuber

I finally got started on my FJ-40 tuber yesterday and all I have to say is I have a new found respect for the guys that make these. Once you get started though, you get in a rythem and don't want to stop.
I based this off one of my favorite FJ-40 buggys, Tom W. (Gunmetalcruz on pirate4x4) 100 Proof Buggy built at Trent Fabrication.

Specs
TLT Axles (locked w/ wedged spider gear and some JB weld)
Team Losi Transmission w/ machine locker and driveshaft flange
2.2 Tires - Mashers
1beatjeep's R/D Customs Aluminum Beadlocks
Super Rooster ESC
TQ3 Controler & Reciever
55T Lathe w/ 12tooth pinion
MG995 Servos
Front Dig
Traxxas Big Bore Coilovers
Wheelbase will bearound 13" - 13.5"

I have a neat idea for disconnecting the the rear driveshaft to have front dig but the yokes are back ordered so that will have to wait a few weeks.

These first few pics are of the real 100 Proof Buggy

Last edited by TxCruzr; 12-31-2006 at 04:13 PM.
TxCruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2006, 07:45 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

These pics show the progress I made yesterday. Hopefully I can finish it up today, though I will need to take a break and watch A&M beat the hell outa TU
After getting the hang of the whole brazing and bending, I ended up cutting of the front and back and redoing it. Came out 10x's better. I am using 3/16" brakeline for the main chassis and 1/8" solid rod for the bumpers and for using it when I spliced the new ends on. The 1/8" rod fits perfectly into the brakeline, and I also used it in the bottom rockers since I plan on beating this thing hard. I can not believe how well the front bumper came out. The pictures don't do it justice.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:08 AM   #3
~THE SCALE SHOP~

NICE! i see a few squareness/symetrical probs but not too bad.
gonna look cool for sure!
are those shock & link mounts stout enough?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Looks like a GREAT start, I'll be keeping an eye on this build. That is a kick a$$ 1:1 rig! looks AND works good, perfect to emulate with an RC.
Geargrinder65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

looking awesome
snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
Oppan Gangnam Style

looks good so far. i think the headlight hoops are too pointy but not sure due to the angle of the 1:1 pic. keep up the good work!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #7
Im Brandon

Looks great man! Another FJ body huh
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Wow, you cut up a proline fj . J/k that's a very cool start. Still haven't tried bending tube yet, looks fun. Good start, and great choice of vehicle.
@tw!ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

It is looking good. Do you have any good spots to crawl around College Station? My bro lives there(near the water tower) and my wife and I will be visiting for a few days around new years. I will have my tlt and sticky nylint and would love to do some crawling.

BTW, it is UT, not TU. TU is Texas Utilities and I will be watchin the game too.
gotmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:23 PM   #10

looks like a good start
jesserc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:22 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I've been meaning to update the post but this project has been like an American Chopper episode for me. I couldn't start till thursday and I had till noon on saturday to get it finished before heading back to college. And then what was supposed to be a 5 hour trip turned into a 9 hour trip with much excitement and boredom
I finished the chassis early today and have it painted along with the front clip and side panels...which look great

As for some of the pieces not being squared....I messed up at the begining. That is why I ended up cutting off the front and back and redoing those. As it sits now, the only problem that I can see is the bottom of the chassis which I think will be fine, just may need a small spacer for the links. I will probably cut the bottom half off and redo it over the christmas break if I go back home. Once I got a hang of the bending and brazing, Everything started lining up and became easyer.
I was wondering the same thing about the link/shock mounts but after I finished it, I messed around with them and they seem stout. I don't think they will be a problem but only one way to find out.

Nluvwithxlr8ing - I wish it was another FJ-40 body, but sadly the one that you painted for me was in an unfortunate roll while on my clod and started tearing by the body mounts. It was a bad design on my part :-(. Luckily I had you paint me that awesome UA Taco body.

gotmuddy - No....it's TU and that was one hell of a game. There was a park that had a nice spot but the last time I went there, they tore up the back section to widen a water run off ditch. Now I'm looking for a new place. There is one nice place that looks like fun but it just so happens to be a police stations sign/flower bed

I didn't have time to upload the pictures before I left but my dad should be doing that and emailing them to me, so I'll try to get them up tomorrow. I think it came out very well with the being my first one. Even if it doesn't crawl worth a dang, it will still be a fun rig.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:39 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

What game are you refering to then? The longhorn vs Aggie game? Cause the longhorns are UT(University of TX).

http://www.utexas.edu/

BTW, I was born in Bryan(St. Joseph's) and raised in Navasota.
gotmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Everyone around here calls UT, TU since we do not view this as the University of Texas, but merely a Texas university. Just some good ole tradition
I made the links last night and the wheelbase turned out to be just a hair under 13". I'm not to sure about the flex, but I think the links are binding and it will just take some playing with to get everything right. Check back later this evening and I'll have some pics up.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:55 PM   #14
Im Brandon

How easily did the paint come out? I havent had a chance to strip one yet.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:42 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

It wasn't to bad. I just wiped some brake fluid on it and let it sit for probably 5 minutes and started scrubbing with an old rough cloth. The black came off real easy but the white was a little harder. The hardest part was getting it out of the little crevices, and I just used some que-tips. Probably took 15 minutes to do from the windshield forward.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:25 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Finally got some pictures

Old 11-26-2006, 10:28 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Delrin skid mounted :-P
Second pic shows how I made the upper transmission mount. It also will have two screws coming up beneath it mounting it to the skidplate.
Third pic....the chassis is sitting sideways, it's not really crooked like that

Old 11-26-2006, 10:39 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

And finally, the paint, which will soon be scratch off on the rocks
You may notice where I completely wasn't paying attention and made the back electronics braket block where the driveshaft is supposed to go through I'll be cutting the bottom part off needless to say.

and now......

This pictures don't do tha paint justice. It is a metalic red backed by a metalic gunmetal grey which is also the front bezel. If you look close at the side panels, the grey design is window tent so you can kind of see through it

I have the panels actually mounted now and they look great. Also finished up the links and it flexes alot better now. Already swapped the front springs out and just ordered some replacement springs for the rear. I still need to order the electrons to get this buttoned up. Hopefully the driveshaft yokes will be back in stock this week.
As it sits now, it has a 13" wheelbase and 3.5" belly height. This is with no weight in it, so I imagine the ride height will drop some once the battery, esc, reciever, and trans/motor are mounted.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:08 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Man that looks sweet
traylor4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:31 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCruzr
It is a metalic red backed by a metalic gunmetal grey which is also the front bezel. If you look close at the side panels, the grey design is window tent so you can kind of see through it
I bought some this weekend to do exactly the same thing. Looks great!
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote