Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: "Fer Cheap" crawler build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Could you possibly get some pics of how you modified the output shaft... I am not sure I completely understand what you mean "using the bushing from a second transmission and a longer shaft with Ds cut in both ends."
Acs_guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #22

sorry, I missed... Ill try to get a better photo tomorrow..

Mr Badwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:09 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Keep em coming, I really like your innovative ideas...the tank trans and the MGT upper arm link!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #24

some of the pics dont work would you be able to check the im really intrested to see them
rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:35 PM   #25

Default Limits

Well, I found the limits of the steering. The truck does not turn sharp enough for my tastes, Im just about lock to lock on the axles and the truck still wont turn around in my living room without backing up. I even tried adjusting the steering for some toe out allowing the inside tire to turn even sharper before the outside tire reaches the binding point.

Would CVDs in the knuckles decrease my turning radius or are they similar to dogbones??
Old 01-07-2007, 04:29 PM   #26

Very different on the a-arms, looks to work well. Nice to see something out of the ordinary.
double-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #27

Ok, If you look closely at the first pic I posted you will see the output shaft only extends out of the box in one direction.

the one bushing has an endcap on it... so I "pressed" the gear and bushings off the shafts from 2 cases (could have drileld a hole in teh capped bushing also) and got a 5mm shaft about 3in long, I ground D cuts in the ends.

I first tried to solder a gear to teh shaft and the gear melted. This was entirely my fault, I was lazy and stupid. My second gear worked much better by watching my heat... The solder did not hold however... I tried drilling a hole, but I do not have a press.... currently I have the gear CA'ed on and its held better than I expected. I have a hole drilled in the gear and I dribbled Slow Zap into the hole and twisted the shaft the cuts,grooves and various imperfectiosn in teh sfhaft i created with pliers and otehr tools in my days of trying to find a way to connect the two filled with CA. about the third revolution of the shaft it suddenlt held hard. and I left it overnight to cure.

Notice pic was taken on new Wahsing machine...

old one went bye bye this morning.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Great budget build... and nice washer pic...lol... keep us posted!!!
venom*one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #29

Ok, I have a 21T 48p METRIC pinion now and the difference is quite obvious. The tranny uses metric gears. this means that your stock tlt pinion should work perfectly if you were using these gears.

The truck is very quiet now. Im still having trouble with steering. even lock to lock it does not turn at all hardly... How do people compete in rockcrawling comps with these axles?
I have the front knuckles set up with quite a bit of toe out allowing the inside tire to turn much sharper before the outside tire hits a bind/stop. I have decided that a bunch of positive camber would help steering but have no way to test it without drilling up my axles. I can buy some Cs and just add camber with plyers by pulling the bottom mount out further.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:53 AM   #30

looks good i think it needs bigger tires
Dsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #31

When the suspension is settled down it rides pretty low. Everyone wants taller tires, but no one makes a tire that is much taller without needing different wheels or being ALOT wider.