Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Torsion with a twist.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Torsion with a twist.

This is the TLT I've been working on. I wanted to try something that no one has ever really touched upon (to my knowledge). I'm not really sure where I got the idea for the sway bars. The bars are just some 3/32 piano wire that I bent to the right shape. It provides just enough give, while still maintaining torsion like feel. The ground clearance is somewhere around 2.5-3", I never really measured it. The WB is a comp legal 12.5" and articulation is about 3", but it will probably soften up over time. The rig is pretty light at around 4lb's fully loaded, but I still need more BB's in the wheels. Right now, it's too light. I also need to raise the ground clearance just a bit as well. In the near future, a Mamba/revolver will be thrown, and dig will be added, as well as a real skid plate (either delrin or cutting-board). Body posts will be added somewhere; I just don’t know where yet. I was also thinking of some custom 2/3a packs to go on the top of the axle. 2 3-cell packs, one on each side of the servo, but its works pretty good now. I got to do a little driving with it yesterday, and it worked pretty well. I know the NERCC guys are jealous of what it can do. So, what do you think? You can go here for the entire buildup and more info. Version 2.0 is in the works. Hopefully it will make the chassis easier to adjust. Any questions, just ask. It's still in the rough stage, so be nice. Over the winter, everything will be cleaned up.

mrwonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #2

I dig it!
Bobby Cumbersum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:55 PM   #3
RCC Addict

That's a neat idea!
BlueMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:58 PM   #4
Release your anger..

that's a pretty neat idea.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:58 PM   #5
RcBros Hobbies

I'm not one for this type of crawler but it looks sweet! Throw a body on it and get some action shots/vids!!
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:13 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

do your axles move left to right ? with the lack of upper triangulation i think they would unless the torsion bar is preventing it.

very interesting concept.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

The axles move a tiny, insignificant amount. I was surprised as well. With the bar there, it acts just like a normal 4-link setup.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

This thing was nutty yesterday.... My 2.2 is undefeated in New England competitions(NERCC and CTRCRC) and it was going places that kicked me in the pants.... I couldn't believe how well it worked.... Truly innovative... Its hard to believe that it worked that well first try...
S-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:52 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

So that's about awesome.

Good work
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

this truck worked great.. btw is there a name for this chassis/setup???
sydneysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I think someone beat ya to it, i can't remember who but they had a black body on it. They should chime in soon.

Very nice though.
trickedoutTLT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

How do they keep the axles from shfting side to side?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Thanks S-dog.

Sydneysdad, I call this one the Sled, but I think you already knew that.

TrickedoutNylint, I think the one your thinking of is terribleone's torsion. Same principle, different execution. this one? TLT Crawler Picture Archive

Run2Jeepn, I have no idea how they locate the axles, but they do, and that's all I care about.

Weenisboy, the reason I didn't want the body posts sticking out the side is because IMO they'll get hung up. I have some ideas about how to mount some stock TLT posts, but I'm not allowed. With V2 coming, I dont want to mount anything permantly. I'll update this as I continue working on it.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

Last edited by mrwonderful; 12-10-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

on 1/8 th on road cars they have unique body mount system. the body is attached not to the chassis but to the suspension so when the car rolls the body rolls with it giving it proper clearance for the tires. this would be a great concept to bring over to rock crawling.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #15
RCC Addict

any have vids from your comp?

im curious
sleek6mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted
on 1/8 th on road cars they have unique body mount system. the body is attached not to the chassis but to the suspension so when the car rolls the body rolls with it giving it proper clearance for the tires. this would be a great concept to bring over to rock crawling.
Do you have pictures or more info? It sounds interesting.

The only pic I have of it in action, is the one attached. No one seemed to think shooting more. Sorry. Hopefully, I'll get to take it out again before the snow hits, and get some real pictures and video for everyone.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #17
Moderator Rule Breaker

I'am really really digging this. where the music wire is bent to going into the link mount is there bushing or no, Doesn't look like there.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:21 PM   #18
RCC Addict

ive been having body mounting probs with my stick te best way would be mounting directly off the tranny...i ran it with mounts on the axles but that limited flex and looked very retarded
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:16 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113
I'am really really digging this. where the music wire is bent to going into the link mount is there bushing or no, Doesn't look like there.
There arent any bushings... the way he had the wire into the axles originally didnt work...the torsion bars kept falling out... so he whipped out som pliears and bent em up.... PERFECT!!
S-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:03 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

First off, I really like the innovation. Thats a nice looking chassis. I have a suggestion for body mounts. Why not extend the sides of the chassis up above the piano wire about an inch and run your body posts up from that. Just a suggestion.
J Rock is offline   Reply With Quote