Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: my scale hulk-built rubicon comp crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2005, 02:04 PM   #21

FINALLY!!! AN UPDATE!!!

RCC DISCLAIMER: it aint a full-on comp rig, and its flashy, but its pretty neat.

you can see in some spots how the powdercoating rippled over grinding marks in the chassis, i tried to clean it up as much as i could before powdercoating, and the powder really made all the grinds noticable... but all the same it came out pretty neat and i'm tickled with it.

still gotta paint it, i have 2 bodies for it, one with plain lexan panels and a fenderless hood that hulk did, then the one in the pics that uses more of the hpi body. (note the dovetail in the back, i dig...) the more rubi body is gonna be flamin' orange, the other will most likely be faschange purple backed with blue.

it needs way softer springs, and i'm gonna try limiting straps to keep it a little lower. also while i like the narrow width it really needs to be wider, so i have some wider offset chrome pede wheels coming as well as another set of masher 2ks. still waiting for tower to get more blackfoot axles in for more width. also, going to try a cutting board skidplate for the bottom.

bill at rc alloys adapted the planetary gear reduction to work with the pede tranny and kyosho 480 can. its got around a 110:1 ratio and its quite zippy as well as being geared down enough for precise control. ( i use the 480's in my clod toilet tuber, they rock with gear reductions) note the 6 3300nimh cells mounted as low and to the front as possible, super rooster, el-cheapo tower high torque servos that will work pretty well once i ditch the icky stock tlt servo savers.

if my tower stuff comes in before the weekend, i'll get it wrapped up and post some finito pics next week.

all in all, pretty cool rig, props to hulk for the work and also bill for the reduction box machining.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2005, 02:29 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Looks real good. I think some of those kyosho wheels with the 13 holes would look good on there. Also, if you bend your steering links running the truck, you can use the tmaxx links (I believe 106's) for the long steering link. I bent mine a good 30* on my second run.

Oh and some of the softest springs I have found are losi whites. I've converted quite a few TLT people to running the losi whites, and they love them. But that rig might weigh too much for them, so yellows would be the next step up.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
Looks real good. I think some of those kyosho wheels with the 13 holes would look good on there. Also, if you bend your steering links running the truck, you can use the tmaxx links (I believe 106's) for the long steering link. I bent mine a good 30* on my second run.

Oh and some of the softest springs I have found are losi whites. I've converted quite a few TLT people to running the losi whites, and they love them. But that rig might weigh too much for them, so yellows would be the next step up.
i'm not aware of the kyosho wheels, got a link?

i got the duratrax white springs comin, hopefully those are the same as the losi's. i would have got soft losis but the majority of the last bunch of stuff i ordered was from tower, and they dont pimp the losi stuff. i'm aware my steering setup still blows, thanks a bunch for the tip to use maxx links. i'm going to see if i can run all the linkage behind the axle, but gonna have to trim some material the link mounts since the knuckles will hit, dunno yet if that will weaken them too much or not.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:47 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

WHOA! You need to donate that to me . The truck really turned out awesome, wicked scale. Glad we could be of assistance in getting the planetary set up for ya. You gonna paint the body panels? Really is kewl how the body follows the frame, nicely done.
RCALLOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #25

thanks bill. i appreciate you helpin out. anybody out there who's looking to shave wieght should give the kyosho 480's a try. they work pretty damn well with gear reduction and i would assume are pretty efficient compared to a larger can.

and its gonna get painted, i have 2 different hoods/body panels. one i'm painting uber bright orange and the other blue/purple. with paint and some stickers it should be pretty peechy keen.

i was talking to hulk awhile back about building another tuber for my pti rig (if i ever get it...), but the more i think about it i might try making one myself out of brakeline and a mapp setup. i think it would be really cool to base the chassis design around an oldschool rc10 buggy body.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:10 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty
thanks bill. i appreciate you helpin out. anybody out there who's looking to shave wieght should give the kyosho 480's a try. they work pretty damn well with gear reduction and i would assume are pretty efficient compared to a larger can.

and its gonna get painted, i have 2 different hoods/body panels. one i'm painting uber bright orange and the other blue/purple. with paint and some stickers it should be pretty peechy keen.

i was talking to hulk awhile back about building another tuber for my pti rig (if i ever get it...), but the more i think about it i might try making one myself out of brakeline and a mapp setup. i think it would be really cool to base the chassis design around an oldschool rc10 buggy body.
you should also take a look at some old school tamiya buggy bodies if you like the rc10 one also! just a thought.
gemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:02 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Thumbs up

Swwwwweeeet
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:40 PM   #28
06 Super National Champ

Very nice looking truck.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:46 PM   #29
RCC Addict

that jeep looks sic can't wait to see it done.
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:03 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

All I am getting is red X's
Anyone else? I wanna see it!
josh
HULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:10 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

I would have hated to drill all those holes. But at least they were 3/4" holes. Big holes suck. Thats funny. Hulk does nice work.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:42 PM   #32
2006 2.2 National Champ

Wow, that is sick!! I love the narrowed rear end.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:14 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I can't find the wheels. I think they got discontinued... So instead, check out these awesome duratrax wheels. I've seen them in person, and was going to get them, but I wanted more offset than they offered.

(that's tape in the tire grooves to prevent the chroming in there so your tires glue true)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRP22&P=7
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:25 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

wow!!!!!!! that is the coolest rc i have ever seen in my entire life!! it would look especially real if it had brusier axles.
those driveline angles look really steep though. do they still work good at that angle?

Last edited by yoda316; 04-14-2005 at 05:05 AM.
yoda316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:36 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up

That crawler is crazy whack, it just looks so real..
MoabCrawler13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 08:49 AM   #36

josh, sucks you cant see it man. can u see pics over at ct? if not lemme know and i'll just give ya access to my montypics account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda316
those driveline angles look really steep though. do they still work good at that angle?
yea, it works fine at those angles, i thought they were too steep as well when i initially put them on. but i do intend on limiting straps, with the suspension jacked that high, the link geometry and shock angles combined with torque roll fights flex quite a bit, a little lower with some tweaking and it should get real smooth. and like i said, it needs way softer springs.

pwt, those wheels are cool. i wish i had known about 'em before i ordered another set of pede wheels a few days ago.. :?
Old 04-14-2005, 02:00 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Looks real nice, I like that kind of tuber.

Are those rear Pede wheels narrowed?? Looks like it to me.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJK62&P=7

Last edited by DUDE; 04-14-2005 at 02:06 PM.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:44 PM   #38

yep, narrowed pede rears.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:43 PM   #39
Web Wheeling

I like how that powdercoat turned out, really a cool color. And a great looking frame on top of it :-P
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:26 PM   #40

took some pics the last night b4 bed and a couple this morning. i havent had alot of time for anythng but work and sleep lately. (at work right now...)

the pics blow. and i'm not quite done, but its cool so i wanted to show and tell.

black wheels narrow width pedes, chomes wider pedes. no wideners yet. wb is 13"

the 'sponsor' stickers on the side panels are prolly gonna come off. i dont like how i layed them out at all. if i could get the over-quality rcalloys decals off and re-use them i would, but dangit they are the mucho better rub-on style and aint coming off w/o a fight.

i have another hood and more sectional body panels that i plan on painting metallic purple or blue. but after the horrible experience of painting the simple orange paintjob i'm gonna take a breather.

now that i got it pretty much done i'd like to maybe get a few of the cells lower on the inside of the boatsides and i have a slippery little mini cutting board i'm going to make a chassis skid out of. i've literally only ran it in my bedroom tho over tires and boxes and my toilet tubers... but it seems like it'll perform pretty good on real stuff where there isnt so much traction. i got both yellow and white losi springs and some duratrax alum servo arms comin from stormer, the softer springs will help tons. figure i'll put that stuff on and run it till i break an axle or bend the steering, then beef up those areas.

i'll get better pics soon.