Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Tracer Kit And Tlt - 1 Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default Tracer Kit And Tlt - 1 Transmission

I am new to this and have decided to build a Tracer, using TLT - 1, TQ3 radio and 65 T motor along with Tekin 2. Here are the questions for the experts in this forum.

1 - First, what do you think of this combination? Any better suggestions?

2 - How is TLT's transmission? Does it fit right in the Tracer chassis? Any modifications needed? How powerful and reliable is it comparing to Stampede trany? How long the belt in there lasts?

3 - Is Tracer a good chassis?

4 - Does anyone have any complete package for sale?

I can't wait to hear from you all.

Thanks
loanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

the tracer is a replament chassis for the stock tlt. if it let's you use the stock tranny, then you should get a different tranny for it. the stock tlt tranny wil slip because it is belt driven
ddiaz10240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:15 PM   #3

you can use a belt tensioner from a belt driven car like a tamiya tao5 to make the belt tighter so it wont slip. you can also use a hpi belt http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXM740&P=ML that belt is thicker and wider than the stock belt. with those 2 mods u wont have a slipping problem. ive used this setup and it works great. i hope that helps. FYI you have to find a way to mount the belt tensioner. its not that hard. just takes a lil thinking. u can do it!! hope that helps...
myae86rolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:47 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Hello! The junfac tracer is an excellent frame to built crawler but the stock transmision is not the best way,I have made on my cnc milling the brace than I can fix the r2 transmision from rc4wd without any modifications.I will post some pictures in few days.
code3pse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:31 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

theres a rtr kit here, on this page.

http://www.thecrawlerstore.com/bundle_rtr.html
shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i would go with a chassis that doesnt deal with the tlt tranny
lrdraca90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

So the HPI belt takes care of the slipping which is a good news. But here is another question: Do I use TLT's tranny into Tracer? or Tracer has its own transmission? Thanks for helping me out guys.

Ali

Quote:
Originally Posted by myae86rolla
you can use a belt tensioner from a belt driven car like a tamiya tao5 to make the belt tighter so it wont slip. you can also use a hpi belt http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXM740&P=ML that belt is thicker and wider than the stock belt. with those 2 mods u wont have a slipping problem. ive used this setup and it works great. i hope that helps. FYI you have to find a way to mount the belt tensioner. its not that hard. just takes a lil thinking. u can do it!! hope that helps...
Old 02-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

Which chassis and tranny would you recommend? I don't want to spend a lot of caaysh.

Ali

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdraca90
i would go with a chassis that doesnt deal with the tlt tranny
Old 02-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

That is what I was hoping to hear that Tracer is a good frame. I was under the impression that I can only use TLT's tranny in there, but you are saying that you can do R2? Can you do stampede? which one is easier? and as far as the drive shafts, do you have to modify them? I can't wait to see those pictures. thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by code3pse
Hello! The junfac tracer is an excellent frame to built crawler but the stock transmision is not the best way,I have made on my cnc milling the brace than I can fix the r2 transmision from rc4wd without any modifications.I will post some pictures in few days.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by loanshark
So the HPI belt takes care of the slipping which is a good news. But here is another question: Do I use TLT's tranny into Tracer? or Tracer has its own transmission? Thanks for helping me out guys.

Ali

yes the tracer chassis uses the tlt tranny. the tracer doesnt have their own tranny. i havent had problems with the tlt tranny yet. just make sure that the belt is tight when adjusting the belt tensioner.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #11

Do you have a link to the belt tensioner?

Thanks
Ballistic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic223
Do you have a link to the belt tensioner?

Thanks

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD106&P=7
im not exactly sure what size bearings i have cause its in my tlt and i dont want to take it a part and look. this is the type of bearings you need. flanged bearings to keep the belt from slipping off. i got my belt tensioner from LHS. it was made by ofna.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:24 PM   #13

ill take a few pics for you.

Last edited by myae86rolla; 02-08-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #14

heres a few pics. hope that helps.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

For a serious comp crawler, the stock TLT tranny ain't gonna cut it.
If you just want to have fun, you can add a belt tensioner to it.
I made my own out of hardware I had laying around in my junk box:
low-buck TLT...
Even with this addition, I can still make the belt jump under severe conditions. It is definitely an improvement over stock though.
myae86rolla - This is the first I've heard of this HPI belt - it's the same tooth size and number, just wider and thicker? Sweet, thanks for the tip.
It just depends on what level of performance you are looking for. For a serious business comp rig, I'd avoid using the TLT tranny. If you are on a budget and/or just want a rig to have fun with, you can make do with the stock TLT tranny by adding a belt tensioner.
The stock TLT tranny has one drawback that would require more modification than it's worth to rectify: the motor is mounted a mile high in the frame compared to other trannys, and it hurts the C.O.G.

Last edited by Big Mike; 02-09-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

if you dont want to use the tlt trans i wouldnt go with a tracer, there are other frames that are cheaper that a pede trans will bolt right onto. you can with a tracer but there would be some mods/cutting to do. i have a tracer and really like it but if you want to use a pede trans i'd go with a K2 frame or somthing similer
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #17

I bought one for myself but im not into serous crawling so I think it will be just fine for me. But I agree Big Mike that it isnt really set up for comp crawling.

Evan
Stealth47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
For a serious comp crawler, the stock TLT tranny ain't gonna cut it.
If you just want to have fun, you can add a belt tensioner to it.
I made my own out of hardware I had laying around in my junk box:
low-buck TLT...
Even with this addition, I can still make the belt jump under severe conditions. It is definitely an improvement over stock though.
myae86rolla - This is the first I've heard of this HPI belt - it's the same tooth size and number, just wider and thicker? Sweet, thanks for the tip.
It just depends on what level of performance you are looking for. For a serious business comp rig, I'd avoid using the TLT tranny. If you are on a budget and/or just want a rig to have fun with, you can make do with the stock TLT tranny by adding a belt tensioner.
The stock TLT tranny has one drawback that would require more modification than it's worth to rectify: the motor is mounted a mile high in the frame compared to other trannys, and it hurts the C.O.G.

yea, i only do thise for fun with a few friends of mine. thanks for everyones input....
Old 02-13-2007, 06:02 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Hello! Here is the parts that I made on my cnc milling for fix the r2 rc4wd in the tracer chassis. They are ready to fix in tracer without any modification.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

The holes on the top are not made , my r2 v2 is not in my hands for this moment but I will post some pics when all the job it will be done in my tracer.