Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My BMVii Comp Rig "Exile"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT40
nice rig Jb, i usually don't like torsions but this one chassis is making me consider jumping on the torsion bandwagon.. have you tested it on the rocks yet?
You can feel better about the BMVii then because it really isn't a torsion chassis. The rods are free to spin in their bores, so they are only being bent, no direct twisting of the rods.

Jeff (NOT BlueMeanie, my FJ is RED!)

Last edited by RedMeanie; 01-09-2007 at 06:33 PM.
RedMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2007, 10:06 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
It just dawned on me that the name of your crawler was, "Exile"!

I called mine the Shadow Project or Shadow for short.

What's up w/ the dark foreboding names???
Casue they sound cool
jamesbernatchez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:50 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Hey, TMYJEEPER, how's this for flex on a torsion rig?

Now, my chassis isn't an "Official BMVII"...I made my own based on Bluemeanie's design before Toyo was gracious enough to offer it to the public. But, in essence it is the same basic setup. You can completely control the amount of flex that you get based upon where your tranny plate is located. Want less flex? Move the tranny towards the rear axle. Want more flex? Move it towards the front. Simple, effective, and crazy performance.
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:05 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

you can also alter is characteristics by changing the diameter of the rods and by changing how far the are spaced apart on the mounting plates (width)

Devlin

Last edited by hotwheels000; 01-10-2007 at 04:06 PM.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:59 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000
you can also alter is characteristics by changing the diameter og the rods and by changing how for the are spaced apart on the mounting plates (width)

Devlin

Yet then someone will need to drill new holes through the plates.... I could only see problems with that. The holes are rather precise. Not much material to mess up on when drilling. Although if people mess up, I can sell them more!
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman72
Hey, TMYJEEPER, how's this for flex on a torsion rig?

Hey, BUGMAN, I see a rear tire comin off the ground in the first pic. good for a torsion though....i guess. can you drive it into flex like that or did you have to set it like that?
tmyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
Yet then someone will need to drill new holes through the plates.... I could only see problems with that. The holes are rather precise. Not much material to mess up on when drilling. Although if people mess up, I can sell them more!

That would be good for you
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmyjeeper
Hey, BUGMAN, I see a rear tire comin off the ground in the first pic. good for a torsion though....i guess. can you drive it into flex like that or did you have to set it like that?
It flexes more than my Pimp Cane which I have used to win or tie for the win (w/ bugman72 at that) at the last 2 comps.

So it is VERY competition worthy regardless of whether or not the tire is off the ground.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

looks good james, how many trucks does this make now lol
HITMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

It's cool looking I would be worried about the longevity of the rods. If it flips and tumbles down a hill it looks like they would bend.

Cool twist (1st)pic too bad the rear tire is not on the carpet it is floating in the air.
rockbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
It just dawned on me that the name of your crawler was, "Exile"!

I called mine the Shadow Project or Shadow for short.

What's up w/ the dark foreboding names???
hehehe mine will be named after part of the chemical composition of diesel fuel... cetane.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:08 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmhero
looks good james, how many trucks does this make now lol
Well I sold my Bluemonster tuber...so this makes 3. BMVii, SW2, and my 17 1/2" pimp cane clod im building.

Stallion- vid wont be up until Sunday night at the earliest. Pics should be up then too. I am waiting on stuff for my clod to arrive hopefully tommorrow. Spektrum DX6, servos, motors, motor mounts, beadlocks...the works
Old 01-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Not sure what you guys are seeing, but I can assure you that all three of the other tires were on the ground. I made sure of that before I even snapped the picture, just in case any of you torsion "naysayers" out there decided to get your feathers in a ruffle. I think you guys are confusing the lack of a shadow due to flash with the tire not being on the ground.

Regardless, the BMV chassis has more flex than anyone could get with a standard torsion chassis, I guarantee it. And as for the rods bending due to a fall...try and bend a section of 1/8" piano wire into a "U" shape and tell me if you think that it will get messed up during a fall.
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #54
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:

Regardless, the BMV chassis has more flex than anyone could get with a standard torsion chassis, I guarantee it.
My newest torsion rig actually gets about the same flex as your's there... none the less, the BMVii looks to be an amazing chassis. I can't wait to see one in person and compare it with mine.

oh, and jamesbernatchez, the rig looks great

we need some action pics!
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:30 PM   #55
2006 2.2 National Champ

James if you want some help properly dialing in your SW2, let me know.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Not sure what you guys are seeing, but I can assure you that all three of the other tires were on the ground. I made sure of that before I even snapped the picture, just in case any of you torsion "naysayers" out there decided to get your feathers in a ruffle. I think you guys are confusing the lack of a shadow due to flash with the tire not being on the ground.

Regardless, the BMV chassis has more flex than anyone could get with a standard torsion chassis, I guarantee it. And as for the rods bending due to a fall...try and bend a section of 1/8" piano wire into a "U" shape and tell me if you think that it will get messed up during a fall.

ruffled feathers..... You can't expect to post up "hey, TMYJEEPER..." without getting a response somewhat like the one you got. The tire def looks like it is off of the ground, there is a slight shadow under it suggesting that there is no contact between tire and carpet....the angle of the wall in the backround also looks a little off it the tire is actually on the ground IMO.

ANYWAY.....back to james' build thread.
tmyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:46 PM   #57
Rock Stacker

BMV2 is the best chassis on the marked. hands down .
rock zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:11 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
James if you want some help properly dialing in your SW2, let me know.
Its pretty dialed for where we run. Just need to get softer springs. Heres a question: Where are you mounting the esc and receiver to get the lowest center of gravity. Mine are pretty much at the top of the chassis in the front. I can tell from testing it out that the only problems I really have is hardcore vertical stuff....but then again its stuff that even supers have problems wih so maybe its fine
Old 01-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #59
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbernatchez
Its pretty dialed for where we run. Just need to get softer springs. Heres a question: Where are you mounting the esc and receiver to get the lowest center of gravity. Mine are pretty much at the top of the chassis in the front. I can tell from testing it out that the only problems I really have is hardcore vertical stuff....but then again its stuff that even supers have problems wih so maybe its fine
When I ran a lathe motor, I mounted the esc on the rear servo/link mount. I just used velcro for the reciever and mounted it low on the engraved plate, or on the tranny. I now run brushless with the Mamba, alot lighter set-up. Move the electronics down, and slam/hack that Courier body. Flipping the shocks upside down will lower your CG too. I like my upper links to be parallel to the ground, at full droop of the suspension. Any more questions, just PM me, not trying to hi-jack your thread.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:07 AM   #60
Rock Crawler

Ill hopefully get some time to try that this weekend. Thanks Bender