Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: SW2 Jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2007, 06:27 PM   #81
RCC Addict

I got the tranny done and am still trying to figure out how to put the driveshafts onto the yokes without breaking them. Here's what i have done to the bottom of the axles.

Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #82
RCC Addict

I got all the drive yokes on the axles and the tranny is complete. Does anyone know how to put the drive shafts onto the drive yokes so the yokes don't break? Thanks.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:48 PM   #83
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

you can warm them up under a lamp for a few minutes or some thing and traxxas send with their kits a tool that does a good job at that. but if you dont have one you can just warm them (both sides) pretty good and muscle it.
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:14 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Do you think that if i don't warm them it'll still work?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:47 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

it will work if you don't warm them, but it may be easier to warm. I dip them into hot water for 20-30 seconds to make them a little softer. Just microwave some water in a glass for 2 minutes, then use. It's easy and works for me. Good luck.

When you get that thing running, you should come down to Folsom lake to crawl with the Sac Area crawlers. heck get togethers for info.

This was the last time we met:
Sac, CA Get Together, JAN 2007
1tom2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:27 PM   #86
RCC Addict

Yeah there was one last week right? Someone at hobbytown usa told me about it and my dad almost took me. He was too busy planning out his business trip for this weekend though. I saw the video of the area and it looks great. Ill try next time. Ill try to get those on tomorrow too. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #87
RCC Addict

OK, i need some help. I can not get the driveshafts into the drive yokes. The holes are not big enough so i tried drilling one out a little bit more and still can't get them in. It seems that there is no way to get them to work. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. And what does a hand wound motor do better than a normal one?

Last edited by Norcal crawler; 01-28-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #88
RCC Addict

I just looked at traxxas exploded views and the yokes won't work with jato driveshafts.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

So, are you trying to get Jato shafts over the stock tlt yokes going onto the axle?
Old 01-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #90
RCC Addict

No im trying to get the jato driveshafts onto the traxxas plastic yokes. I think im just going to get traxxas maxx half shafts and maxx drive yokes. Are the maxx ones long enough though? I'll just try and return the unopened jato driveshafts.
Actually im trying to decide either to get the maxx shafts and maxx plastic yokes or pede shafts and steel drive yokes. The maxx ones are cheaper since im not getting the steel yokes and they are tougher but i could get more of the truck done if i got the pede stuff. What would you guys go with? Thanks.

Last edited by Norcal crawler; 01-28-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

I dont' know anything about the jato's. I used pede drivelines for mine, but the Maxx ones are real popular because they are so tough.

A lot more people can help you with the maxx type or the pede ones. Bender did this thread on that subject: Shaggin' Wagon................The Begining of Stage 2

Now you know why this site was created and is so helpful to all of us. Good luck.

Last edited by 1tom2go; 01-28-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:12 PM   #92
RCC Addict

Yeah thanks for all the help. I'm going to go with the pede shafts since i already have some parts. I am still deciding if i should get the steel yokes or just see how long the plastic ones hold up. I'm probably going to have to get the plastic ones since i dont want to spend a lot more money on this. I try to order them tonight so they come before the week is over.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:24 PM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal crawler
Yeah thanks for all the help. I'm going to go with the pede shafts since i already have some parts. I am still deciding if i should get the steel yokes or just see how long the plastic ones hold up. I'm probably going to have to get the plastic ones since i dont want to spend a lot more money on this. I try to order them tonight so they come before the week is over.
Plastic yokes will be fine. Make sure you use the slipper disc/clutch on the spur gear. I have mine tightened up pretty hard, but it will slip when bound up (instead of break).
Old 01-28-2007, 08:49 PM   #94
RCC Addict

Ok i asked my dad and he said i can order them tonight. I am sorry about having you wait for the parts to come again but since im a first timer and only 15 what did you expect? Actually i expected to have it done by now but oh well. Ill have it together within like 2 days after i get all the parts. And what do you mean by the disc? Is is the little metal ring? Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:42 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
And what do you mean by the disc? Is is the little metal ring? Thanks for all the help.
Yeah, the metal rings, thats all.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:03 AM   #96
RCC Addict

Ok ive got it tightened down pretty good. It isn't too tight though. I ordered the pede driveshafts and 1 more package of yokes last night. The last time i ordered something from the crawler store i got it in 3 days so hopefully it will come on wednesday. And my parents will pick up my motor from the post office today.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:35 PM   #97
RCC Addict

Im so mad right now. Ok so i get my brand new motor, everything looks great. So i go to put the pinion on everything is working good. Then i start to put the pinion nut thing into the pinion to hold it onto the motor and i twist it maybe 3 times before it strippes. I looked at it for a while and tried another allen wrench and nothing. Completely stripped out. It is a robinson racing one too. I thought those were good quality to. I don't know what im going to do. At first i thought it was supposed to stick out a little bit so i try putting the motor in the tranny and sure enough the nut is supposed to be in more than that. It feels like everything always happens to me. Not just in rc either. I always get the worst of everything no matter what im doing. Ill try to make it work more but im not going to wait another week for me to get another one. I am right now willing to do anything to get this done by the weekend. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get it in or to fix a stripped head then any help is great. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:13 PM   #98
RCC Addict

I found out that it isn't stripped but it was in all the way. I took apart my tranny and found out that there are supposed to be some little teflan washers in it to space the metal pin out more. I never got those so ill have to order them unless 1tomtogo do you think they would have these washers at the hobby shop in Roseville? Looks like im going to be done in about 2 years if i don't get these soon so come back then. Really, im getting tired of ordering things and finding out problems. But this is my first kit so it'll take longer. I thought i had everything and then i need something else. Im going to be glad when i have a job and can actually make money. Anyway hopefully i can order them tomorrow and have them come before the weekend. If i get them by the weekend then i can get the tranny completely done with the motor in it. Then i can get all the rest of it done if i don't need anything else.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #99
RCC Addict

I realized that the motor doesn't come with the wires to hook it up to the esc. What are they and does anyone know where i can get them? Thanks a lot.
Are they the deans wet noodle 12 guage motor wires?

Last edited by Norcal crawler; 01-30-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I found out that it isn't stripped but it was in all the way. I took apart my tranny and found out that there are supposed to be some little teflan washers in it to space the metal pin out more. I never got those so ill have to order them unless 1tomtogo do you think they would have these washers at the hobby shop in Roseville?
I stripped a Robinson 12 tooth pinion a couple weeks ago...tightened it up and the end of the pinion expanded out ...threads were still there, but the end of the pinion around the grub screw blew out!

That hobby shop should have any Pede tranny parts you need...call em before you go.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote