Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: should I get rid of my tlt for an axial scorpion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #1

Default should I get rid of my tlt for an axial scorpion?

Hi all,
first post...
I have a modified TLT see pic, runs pretty good, weighted tires cut foams etc, running a 55t integy lathe motor, 2s1p a123s, A123 Associated AI esc futaba am radio. Hitec MG steering servo
I get great articulation, and performance is pretty good. But it seems top heavy and wants to tip over. (battery is on steering servo) I was thinking about going with the wideners, but my rock course (back yard) has some pretty narrow passages and I like the width of it now.
So...my question is, do you think a scorpion a10 would be a MUCH better crawler? Same electronic. I stress the word much, because if it is only marginally better I dont want to spend the extra money. Is the CG much better on the axial? Please comment of tires and rims too, I'm currently running 2.2s on proline moabs. 6oz weight on fronts 4oz on back.
Thanks
uh I can't seem to post pictures.
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...su/crawler.jpg
rmasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Get a better chassis,either a SW2 or SW3 and buy a transmission for an AX10.You will have a better handling truck instantly.You will need to use Stampede driveshafts as well but for the money you will have a great truck
red jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I would look into getting a new chassis, like the Blackjack or GC-1. Get an Ax-10 scorpion transmission and use your electronics. That will get you lower COG and a very capable comp crawler. I have TLT axles and love'em. The tires you have are good and the weight you have seems to be a good start. Just my opinion. Probally a lot cheaper than buying a whole new kit too.
procraft98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #4

thanks! where do I look for thoes chassis? Which trans would be a better drop in? ( less fabrication) Axial or stampede?
Thanks!
rmasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmasu View Post
thanks! where do I look for thoes chassis? Which trans would be a better drop in? ( less fabrication) Axial or stampede?
Thanks!

KEEP the TLT, do what everybody says! And typically the skid plates come undrilled like the black J and i think the GC-1. Get an axial Tranny! The only fabbing you'll need to worry about is not for the tranny (as they all come ready to fit most common trans) but the motor you run. Ex. brushless, cobalt puller, diff than a can motor... Good luck! Be DIFFERENT!
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:41 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmasu View Post
Thanks!
Look at RCC vendors

rcpcrawlers.com has the Blackjack and SW2 in stock
http://www.rcpcrawlers.com/home.php?cat=6

Gatekeeper sells the GC-1 in the vendors section

The Axial transmission is much smaller and already locked (hence less fabrication). You will have to lock a pede trans. I just took my pede trans out of my SW3 and put in an Axial tranny, it helped with weight and COG, and i'm pleased with it so far. I also put an Axial in my GC-1 comp rig. Most users are switching to the Axial transmission, plus VF just came out with a dig unit for the Axial!!
procraft98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Check out the Reign j2-tt. I think it is the most cost effective chassis out there. I love mine. Axial tranny all the way.Check www.reignrc.com if the vendors are out of stock, Matt is a great guy to deal with.
fatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Yea your biggest problem is your chassis setup. Even a B.Y.O.C. chassis would be better than the stock one.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote