Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: SW2 Jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default SW2 Jeep

I have been looking around for a good rock crawler and I ordered the parts to make a SW2 crawler a couple days ago. I am going to model it after me and my dad's real jeep. Here is what I am using:
1. Proline Masher 2000 tires with HPI Black Spike wheels
2. SW2 Chassis
3. Integy 55 turn lathe motor
4. Hitec 645MG Servo
5. Mtroniks waterproof esc
6. Stampede Transmission
7. TLT Kit
8. Jeep body

There is also some other stuff. Also I cut the tire foams down. I am also unsure about how to lock the diffs. So far I'm thinking JB Weld but I don't want to mess up.

Here is a pic of what I have now besides the tlt. I am still waiting on the tranny and motor. It should come today.

Here is a picture of the SW2 chassis and links

Here is a picture of everything I have right now. And yes the floor is my workbench.

Here's what I'm going to get it to look like. I'm getting as close as I can.

This is my first build so go easy on me. And i'm only 15.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

You're exactly where I was two weeks ago. Locking the diffs is easy with JB weld, just make sure you have the last gear going in straight so your axles won't be in a bind. I made this mistake and didn't know until the jb weld was dry and tried to install the diff and axles in the axle case. You can still assemble the chassis, links, and axles while you're waiting on the motor and tranny.
calyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I just figured out how to install the spider gear and am thinking about going with that way. I have made all the links i think, shocks, and some other stuff. Any other things that I could make? I am bored and want to get this done as soon as I can.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

get your rig done!

if you need any help just shoot me a pm

looks like your going in the right direction too

what shocks are you planning on running?
iwantoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I'm running stock for now because I'm almost out of money. I'm going to get the stock t-maxx shocks. I don't have the jeep body yet so i have to go to the hobby store and I will see how much the shocks are. If anyone knows then could you tell me. I am making money pretty fast now. I made almost $50 this last week. Does the spider lock work good? I have heard that there are problems over time and I don't know where to get a replacement. I don't have jb weld and that is whats holding me up now. I want to get the axles done today so if i find a place to get replacements then ill go with the spider lock and finish the axles today probably. Any quick info would really help.

Last edited by Norcal crawler; 01-13-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I use the spider gear diff lock and it works great. All the methods for locking diffs have some kind of weakness after enough time. I have seen JB break and crumble, seen hot glue come undone, seen the small pins that hold the spider gears break. I think the spider gear methode is the best.... and it's free! Good luck with the Jeep, and post some pics when your finished.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks for the info. I am going to do that method now. When it does break does it mess anything else up or just the gear. Also where can I get another one? I should have the axles done by tonight. It helps a lot when you have music going to.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
MODERHATER™

I used that method for quite a while, nothing ever broke but it seemed to get a lot of slop after time.

You can get replacement parts at Tower Hobbies.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:57 PM   #9
I lost my vendor privileges

more pics please..
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:03 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Ok ill get some with the axles.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #11
RCC Addict

The axles aren't all the way done yet but enough done to get pics with. Tell me if you think that I should raise the clearance or lower it or whatever you think. And however far the wheelbase is it was just a guess. I'll get some more pics of the tranny and motor if they come tonight.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #12
MODERHATER™

I would narrow the rims by triming off the inside lip, the ride height looks good, the lower the COG the better! I say do a 12.5 WB so if u wanna compete it's ready and u know how to drive it! But i think a 12" fits the TJ body best if u want it to be semi scale.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:02 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I would like it more scale but still pretty good at crawling. I have 105mm turnbuckles so I think it will make it 12.5 inch. And i guess is said it wrong but I meant the clearance of the chassis to the ground. Is that about average? I got a question but I have to switch computers real quick to post pictures.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:23 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I am having trouble finding out where the silver links go on the axle. I know that there are holes but since i am using the bender customs links do i have to install them? I am confused as to where they go.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:53 PM   #15

They go on the outer two screws on each side of the axle. With the pointy end of the bracket going up. You have to trim a little plastic rib between the screws for the bracket to sit flush. I think you have to use longer screws then the gold ones.
Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:11 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Ok thanks ill try that.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:23 PM   #17
MODERHATER™

Something like this....
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I just got my pede tranny but didn't get the motor. I guess it is out of stock or he's sending it seperately. I'm not quite sure how to assemble the transmission. Does anyone know of any threads on how to build it? Ill post more pics later. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:50 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I am tried to put the tranny together but couldn't figure it out. I'll keep working on it tommorow. If anyone has any pics of assembling theirs or know of any threads then i'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:59 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal crawler
I am tried to put the tranny together but couldn't figure it out. I'll keep working on it tommorow. If anyone has any pics of assembling theirs or know of any threads then i'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Traxxas has a website, there are exploded views of everything there.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote