Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Low C.O.G. XRC comp rig! XRC tech!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Low C.O.G. XRC comp rig! XRC tech!

When we designed the XRC we did so for one reason. That reason was to win comps. With the big push lately of the torsion rigs showing just how comp capable they are it is more important than ever that you get your XRC tuned correctly. Well we don’t like 3rd place, we don’t even care for 2nd place all that much. We’re old enough to know better but anything less than a win is less than a win. Below are a few pics of the last roller that we sent out. Our goal was to keep at least three inches under the skid and get the C.O.G. as low as possible. On top of that we have limited articulation to around 45 degrees. We recommend all XRC 60/40 setups run 4 inch shocks rear and 3-1/2" front. We recommend all 50/50 XRC setups run 3-1/2" shocks both front and rear and if you don’t know how to limit your shocks we have instructions on our website. Going even further we now recommend that you shy away from the heavy Stampede transmission in favor of the smaller and lighter, Associated Stealth, Losi-XX-T or XXX-T, or the ultra low C.G. RC4WD R2 transmission. Make everything as light as you can and move it all as low as you can without taking away from your clearance. We have Carbon Fiber upper link/servo mount plates to further reduce your rigs weight. And for the XRC we even have Carbon Fiber chassis plates to go even lighter. As far as our stock XRC now we have improved it quite a bit. We have reduced the weight by adding more chassis adjustment holes. These holes give you link adjustment to be able to roll your pinion angles if wanted. We have also reduced the weight even further by going from a 3/8” thick Delrin skid plate to a ¼” Delrin skid plate. For transmissions that have them we offer Carbon fiber transmission plates to still bring the weight down. We also have Carbon Fiber upper links and chassis supports to lighten it up even more. We also recommend smaller, lighter batteries divided into sections to really get that weight down and low.

The bottom line is keep up to date by watching our XRC tech at our website, and watching your opponent.

David
Xtreme Rc Hobbies
Attached Images

Last edited by insanerc; 01-25-2007 at 10:42 PM.
insanerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Awesome! It is good to see a vendor posting information on exactly how to setup their product!!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I won this chassis and I have to say, I'm very happy with how it works. I don't get much time to drive it as much as I'd like, but everytime I do it works very well. This will probably be my alternate rig to my torsion style chassis I run this season.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Y-Town Crawlers

wow, that looks pretty impressive.

any reason you didn't rotate the rear pinion up? You'd be getting near stick-like GC if you did that
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH
Awesome! It is good to see a vendor posting information on exactly how to setup their product!!
Thanks, we hope to add a lot more helpful info in our XRC tech section at our website now.

David
Xtreme Rc Hobbies
Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloak
I won this chassis and I have to say, I'm very happy with how it works. I don't get much time to drive it as much as I'd like, but everytime I do it works very well. This will probably be my alternate rig to my torsion style chassis I run this season.
Hello Cloak,

We're very glad that you enjoy the chassis. We are going to be working with a lot of different setups coming up. I think we're going to have some very good info for you and others.

David
Xtreme Rc Hobbies
Old 01-25-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Monte
wow, that looks pretty impressive.

any reason you didn't rotate the rear pinion up? You'd be getting near stick-like GC if you did that
Hello,

Actually we have plans to rotate both front and rear pinions up very soon. We are working out the details of steering and link geometry at this time. When ready the parts should bolt right up to most 4 link 2.2 rigs. This is an idea we have been working on for some time. I think we are very close now and have worked out some of the major problems that have been holding us back.

As pictured above the pinions can be easily rotated up if you see the adjustment they have at the chassis.

David

Last edited by insanerc; 01-25-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #8
RCC Addict

One of the easiest and best modifications you can make to the TLT-1 axles themselves id to shave them. Here is a pic of the bottom of a shaved front axle. This greatly reduces the axle's tendencies to get caught up on the terrain. Note the Carbon Fiber 4 in 1 BTA setup on this rig.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Looks good David, similar to how I ran my XRC.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Great thread David.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanerc
We are working out the details of steering and link geometry at this time. When ready the parts should bolt right up to most 4 link 2.2 rigs.
This is one of the things you're doing I really can't wait to see. I'm positive I will be putting one on my rig(s).
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:44 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Looks fantastic!
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

can you please post more pics of the carbon fiber 4 in 1 bta set up. i was interested in buying it but i would like to see it on a rig first because it sounds a little complex. thanks for all the good set-up info!
revin9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

seems people r gettung scared of the torsion revolution!!! but this is a great chassis and a nice set up!
nitromtcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:13 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromtcrawler
seems people r gettung scared of the torsion revolution!!! but this is a great chassis and a nice set up!
Thanks for the kind words about our chassis. I for one do not subscribe to the notion that either torsion or 4 link is best. I think one should build and drive what they like and what works for them. Rewind, 4 links with cantilevers high in the sky. Hell if your truck wasn't a foot off the ground it was not accepted. Fast forward, the 4 link has been slammed in most cases, cantilever is caveman lingo, and the torsion rig is making its big push to show itself more than competitive. I started to design a torsion rig just weeks ago but found my design to be too much like another vendors so I scraped it. I still may design a torsion rig if I think I have a credible idea that works and is original.

Torsion rigs do offer a lot for the money in most cases. Four links are more costly to the customer but you pay for what you want. To some the look of a more realistic chassis and suspension setup is well worth the cost. I'd say it was similar to spending a ton of money on wheels or a paint job that could both be had for much less.

My reason for making the push to upgrade our XRC 4 link platform is simple. I have been involved in RC for over 30 years and am competitive as all hell. And whether it's a torsion or 4 link I'm going to try and push it to the limit. The rest is up to the hobbyist and their hunger to win

David
Xtreme Rc Hobbies

Last edited by insanerc; 01-27-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:17 AM   #16
Nor-CalRCRC

I am definitely interested in your parts to rotate the axle and still maintain steering geometry etc. Can't wait to see it.

What are your thoughts on limiting the articulation to 45deg.?

I am new to crawlers and am curious about the differences between having 45deg. or having more than that.
montereycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:13 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by montereycrawler
I am definitely interested in your parts to rotate the axle and still maintain steering geometry etc. Can't wait to see it.

What are your thoughts on limiting the articulation to 45deg.?

I am new to crawlers and am curious about the differences between having 45deg. or having more than that.
The steering parts are very close to being finished. We have high hope of introducing them any day now.

As far as articulation, it is our position that any more than 45 degrees can hurt more than help, and that 90 degrees which we see so much is on the verge of being ridiculous. With 90 degrees of articulation your rig can be forced so out of balance that it actually flips due to weight bias as the one wheel rises so high. It can also cause you to get hung up on terrain that you would simply span with less articulation. By limiting your articulation you are forcing other things to come into play such as your rigs over all balance, your calculated c.o.g, etc. You are certain to find your rig more stable and easier to drive with practice.

Sincerely,
David
Xtreme Rc Hobbies
Old 01-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #18
Nor-CalRCRC

Thanks for the insight. Be looking forward to the new products.
montereycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #19
RCC Addict

lookin good dave

mines a lil lower but i had to since my new r2 trans had "xtreme" pinion angles
sleek6mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek6mt
lookin good dave

mines a lil lower but i had to since my new r2 trans had "xtreme" pinion angles
Hello, don't tell anyone that I said this but by shortening the distance that the shaft protrude from the R2 tranny you can greatly relieve pinion angles. If you're handy with a Dremel this is a pretty easy mod.

Now for the disclaimer: We assume no liability if you try modifying anything.

David