Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Salvage Anything?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 08:12 PM   #1

Default Salvage Anything?

How much does a guy really keep from the TLT kit when building a crawler, I guess my question is would it be wiser to just buy all the components seperate, like the electronics, servos, motor? Or buy the TLT kit like everyone else? Any help, much appreciated.
UBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The axles and some hardware are about the only parts from the kit usable.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I just got my SW2 done an i used the axles, lower links, lots of hardware, and some of the plastic stuff like the battery holder. Just get the whole tlt kit, you can sell the wheels, tires, body, and stock chassis on ebay and get some money back anyways.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

First off you need to do some searching around here in the TLT thread. As for your question. You have to buy the TLT kit for the axels. Also it would be cheaper than buying everything one by one. I would not use the stock chassis though. Find one on here. In the vendor section. I would segest the J2-TT chassis. Love mine. Or get 30 post and you can view the Classified area or buy a Star and you can go ahead and do that. As far as Radio, Reciver, Servos, and Batterys. All that will have to be purchsed seperate. The TLT kit comes with alot of parts that you can use on the chassis that you buy or even the stock one if you wanna go that route starting off. Hope this helps ya. But just look around in the TLT thread and go from there. Look all the rigs and what not. Trust me you will find something you like.
John Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #5

Thanks, lots of help, were I'm from there is no interest in this thing they call crawling. I'm gonna be building my own chassis out of alum, cause I got looking at some of the chassis on the market and most of them are quite simple. So with that route my concerns were the cost difference between buying the kit or peice by peice. Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #6

What is the "average" wheel base for some of the 2.2 comp rigs? What is one of the more popular shocks to use?, some say T-Maxx shocks (4in.) or is it better to get some longer ones?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:45 PM   #7

Everytime that I post one thing I remember yet another question, everywere I read there does not seem to be much info on the degree the shocks should be at for a 60/40 set up, or any set up for that matter. From what I seen shocks that are more upright create a tippier and more top heavy ride, so what I was thinking was to have them laying down a little more???? I don't know??? Any help is good help, thanks.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:03 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I don't know the cost difference but im sure it would just be easier to get the tlt kit. Remember you can sell some of the unused stuff too. A good wheelbase is 12.5 inches, that is most common. I'm not sure about the shock mounting thing. I am guessing the more of an angle the softer it is.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:05 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Low C.O.G. XRC comp rig! XRC tech!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBER
would it be wiser to just buy all the components seperate, like the electronics, servos, motor? Or buy the TLT kit like everyone else? Any help, much appreciated.
You do know that the electronics, servos and motor are NOT part of the TLT kit right?

You will have to buy them seperately anyways.

Really, you are just buying the axles and some hardware for about $75 to $80.00 (or more, depending on where you buy the kit). The one thread has a breakdown and it would cost a lot more to build just the axles by buying pieces seperately.

Also, instead of building your own chassis, see how some guys modified the stocker...especially if you are going to use the stock tranny to start out with.
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:42 AM   #11
RYY
Rock Stacker

There are vendors out there(Tammies, and the crawler store for sure) that have RTR and roller crawler kits with different chassis or no chassis(make your own) options that are fairly reasonable. Having just finsihed my first truck I found alot of use for spacers, shims, screws ect from the TLT kit so I would say it is money well spent.
Just my thoughts,
RYY
RYY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:06 AM   #12

"Fer Cheap" crawler build

I used the stock chassis plates, body mounts, antenna mount, axles and various hardware from the original tlt. I also believe the cantilevers can be used for mounts to attach the upper center link, but I have not tried it because my crawler is now functional.
Mr Badwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #13

It just seems like there ought to be a cheaper way to get axles.
96ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:11 PM   #14
afn

See a lot of leftovers on ebay
afn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:49 PM   #15

Ya I thought that is was kind of a waste to buy the whole kit for just the axles but oh well I guess I will just have to get the whole kit. Thanks