Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RCC Scale crawler face off!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2005, 11:17 PM   #21
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
You win some and lose some
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark
Hey I'm all for The Duke being tested right along with the TLT's-it will give people a better perspective of how diffrently a small scale shafty proforms when compaired to a small scale clod

And who said everyone was running TLT axles?
Hmmmm, :looks at Bruiser axles and Losi tranny sitting on shelf:

Actually the El Diablo is a production chassis, I just don't sell it on the board....however that would negate me from being a test driver and I KNOW you guys dont want Dirk driving your rigs.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2005, 11:21 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
Never said the duke couldn't play, but just to be fair and unbiased you couldn't drive it.

But you, Jason, also stated that a production based chassis would need to be used for testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
Here are my feelings on this.

Chassis: Your production chassis with no mods.
This would mean that the Duke couldn't play in the "game".... right? Unless it's running a chassis that is currently produced as an aftermarket item.

I'm not saying that the Duke couldn't be used as a way to rate the chassis involved in the testing... I'm just saying that I think the test should be conducted using a chassis that is currently offered as an aftermarket item to the public which is aimed at the smaller/scale crowd of crawlers.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:26 PM   #23
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4
Actually the El Diablo is a production chassis, I just don't sell it on the board.
See Griz's post from above
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:29 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm just saying that I think the test should be conducted using a chassis that is currently offered as an aftermarket item to the public which is aimed at the smaller/scale crowd of crawlers.
I agree.

But I think it'd be fine to see how the Duke does against them. I think it would be good to knock grizz of his high horse

Damn't, don't you hate it when you overlook simple things? When I was at the raffle crawl session, my ESC dumped on me and stopped working. Well so did my Tekin Rebel a year and a half ago. Well, turns out both had the same problem, the stupid on off switch had a broken wire. I think my rebel works again.... Oi.... Maybe it has a better reverse than the LRP and I won't have to borrow a rooster. But damn, I coulda saved $65.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:37 PM   #25
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
I'm just saying that I think the test should be conducted using a chassis that is currently offered as an aftermarket item to the public which is aimed at the smaller/scale crowd of crawlers.
The El Diablo chassis was designed for the Unlimited rigs so technically speaking Toyo has a point. If even one of the vendors doesn't want a dark horse in the mix I'm cool with that, anway, I think I would like to help out by being a driver (assuming you want me to help )

There's plenty of time for a Clod v.s TLT shootout later.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 02-22-2005 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:02 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Anyone but dirk!

I think it should be setup with initial impressions of the truck looks, quality of build/components, then a good 35minutes of introductory driving and "how does the truck feel out of the box?" like is it easy to drive, initial weekpoints, that kind of thing, progressing into how does it perform after you've gotten the feel for the truck, rotating drivers to give a different basis of judgement.

After all that, a competition for points through a course, maybe 3 stages, and then when that is done, switch the drivers and go through again, maybe even switch it up again and then add up the points to see who wins.

EDIT: Oh I forgot about the follow the leader! Definately a good comparison because any line one truck takes, the next should be able to take it, worse or better.

Last edited by Plays_with_Toys; 02-23-2005 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:20 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

this is very cool idea.

the only specs/requirements are(in my mind):

less the 13" wb
same tires
similar batteries

and everything else setup to builder specs. have the guys run them "box stock" then a small comp with set up tweeks from the pros. since most people here run the rigs to their liking and adaptability would be a key selling point.
ronbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #28
06 Super National Champ

Nobody has mentioned gear reductions on the Pede trannies.

Who's using them...anyone?
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:27 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Default tlt

I dont think Chassis Really matters.As long as there is TLT axles and Pede Trans the Rest shouldnt matter ,Oh ya and under 13"WB and 2.2 or under Tires. I run Jero Tires
on my Scale TLT Crawler and I can go anywhere .
Bigbadwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:12 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I think this shoot-out is an awesome idea. I can't wait to see who comes out on top. I'm hoping its the BULU chassis, cause I just sent payment to gets me one. I'll be keepin my fingers crossed.

Clark, SUPERMANWV
SupermanWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbadwhitey
I dont think Chassis Really matters.As long as there is TLT axles and Pede Trans the Rest shouldnt matter ,Oh ya and under 13"WB and 2.2 or under Tires. I run Jero Tires
on my Scale TLT Crawler and I can go anywhere .
I think the point of the shoot out is to show the differences between production trucks. I'd really like to get a hold of PRP for this shoot out as well.

JIA, I don't really like the idea of gear reductions because that would make it an unlimited truck according to the RCC rules, but if lathe motors are the norm, and someone really wants to go that slow, then I guess go for it. I think the TLT's do better with some wheel spin.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:10 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
Nobody has mentioned gear reductions on the Pede trannies.

Who's using them...anyone?

In a light weight rig like a Bulu2(5.5lbs) there is absolutly no need for outside reductions... the 'Pede tranny and 55-turn motor give enough grunt.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:29 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
JIA, I don't really like the idea of gear reductions because that would make it an unlimited truck according to the RCC rules
They are Unlimmited class trucks as it is-no offense but no one's rig is really scale even if your looking at porportions
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:20 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Default tlt

AHHH Shoot out to see what Chassis is the Best ,I got it .Sounds Good.After that Use the same Chassis with Clod axles and One with TLT Axles and the Rest the same and See whats Better.Id put my Money on the TLT ,Ive run both and My TLT is Better for Me.
Bigbadwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:19 PM   #35

Hey guys! This is my first post here

Last night at our clubs' race night I was told by a fellow racer about the face-off competition posted here. It sounds like a very cool idea! However, it looks like all of the TLT based crawlers on this site are a "hybrid" style crawler. The truck I designed is meant to be a more scale truck. It does a very good job at rock crawling, but I believe a hybrid crawler will have a slight edge in many cases.

Since I began designing TLT based chassis' last May, I have had plans to do several chassis kits. My first kit is the more scale trail truck. The next kit I make will probably be the hybrid style crawler. I have many design ideas for it but I have not had time to begin any of the CAD work yet. I also have plans for a true race truck and a few others that I can not talk about yet

Please always feel free to contact me if you have any questions or anything.

Thanks!!!
Ben
Team PRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:03 PM   #36
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team PRP
The truck I designed is meant to be a more scale truck. It does a very good job at rock crawling, but I believe a hybrid crawler will have a slight edge in many cases.
The testing will involve much more than "who climbs the biggest rock", if it is well balanced, well built, and werks well for what it is, then it should fare well in areas other than the competition course. Just a thought.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:25 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

hey team prp whereabouts in Minnesota are you?

sorry to hijack the thread
fuzzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:11 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

I too would like to see a PRP TLT in the test-I've heard good things from Mike about the chassie and the axle bracing

The more companys represented the better in my opinion-I don't really care who wins but a nice complete guide for the people looking for these kinds of chassies would be great

BTW-any date yet Jason?
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:18 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbks5
Toyo - What gearing are you running with the 55t in your Bulu?

In my personal rig, I run a 84 spur & a 16 tooth pinion. It gives plenty of low end plus some added top end for nice bump action.....It's still slow overall ;)
Old 02-26-2005, 09:35 AM   #40
R.I.P. Chip

I am planning on April 16-17 and would need complete running rigs in my possession before that time.

I wanna get a bunch of good pictures of the rigs in house before we take them out on the rocks, then the testing will be that weekend and will be very extensive.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote