Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Jato driveline info needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #1

Default Jato driveline info needed.

I'm building my first crawler, a TLT with an SW2 chassis and Pede tranny. I'm using Jato drive shafts but can't figure out how to make them fit as they are too short. Funny, my wife has the same complaint. I've searched the forum for information, and or pictures, of an SW2 with Jato shafts but haven't had any luck. If anybody has a close up pic of their truck with Jato shafts, information on how to make them work, or a link to another thread with this information, I'd really appreciate it. I'll post pics when finished.
Team Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

you need to use 2 shafts rip them apart and use 2 female ends and one male end...
seanhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:42 AM   #3

Thank you for your feedback, a picture is worth a thousand words and I've got it now. How long are the female shafts on your truck? I see you used a set screw to secure one end of the male shaft, but I wonder if CA glue would be strong enough to hold the male shaft in place? Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Strega
Thank you for your feedback, a picture is worth a thousand words and I've got it now. How long are the female shafts on your truck? I see you used a set screw to secure one end of the male shaft, but I wonder if CA glue would be strong enough to hold the male shaft in place? Thanks again.

I would suggest you use JB Weld and a set screw to hold the combined shaft together.

I fill the female shaft with JB Weld (not completely, just enough to get all the voids filled with JB weld and to keep them from coming loose in the future), then insert the male shaft. Then drill a hole through the combined shaft and place a 4/40 or 3mm screw through it with the one end just flush on the other side of the shaft. Then dremel off any extra screw sticking out of the shaft. This makes for a solid shaft with no ends sticking out to get caught on the rocks.
Wookiebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #5

Thanks for the tip Wookie, I'll use the JB Weld and a 3mm set screw as I don't want anything to get hung up while crawling. What length should I cut the female shafts down to?
Old 02-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the tip Wookie, I'll use the JB Weld and a 3mm set screw as I don't want anything to get hung up while crawling. What length should I cut the female shafts down to?
Leave one female shaft full length (the one you are going to put the male shaft in). You will actually need two male shafts to do it right. Cut one down about half way and insert it first. Then cut the other one full length and insert it the rest of the way into the female shaft. That will give you about 1.25" of male shaft beyond the end point of the female shaft. Then take a close guestimate of how far in the longest shaft and find the mid point, that's where you drill the hole and insert the screw. Make sure the screw is long enough to go through the shaft but leave enough to dremel the remaining amount off flush.

You can also add a bit of JB weld to the screw to make sure it never backs out.

Then when you mount the drive shafts to the truck, remove just enough of the other end female shaft that under full compression there is about 1mm - 2mm of open space left to compress (basically just a little wiggle room).

That will create a solid shaft that should be very sturdy and competition worthy.

If you want a little extra strength, go to the hobby store and fit the female axle housings with brass tubing that will slid over the female shafts. You can get some that is a very tight fit. It will keep the shafts from flexing at all and creat a near bullet proof shaft. It also makes them a bit slicker when going over rocks and stuff.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:13 PM   #7
Keep it real

No need for the bolt, I just use thin CA to hold the male to female, I have broken axles and the driveshaft is still fine.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:26 PM   #8

I can't thank you guys enough. I fly helicoptors and planes but this crawling thing has me a bit stumped. I've found that most of the people that are into this segment of this hobby are great guys. When I purchased my SW2 chassis, I had a lot of stupid newb questions that I had for Bender. He was quick to reply and was extremely helpful. I haven't purchased my motor yet but I will be going brushless. I shot some more dumb questions to Holmes Hobbies and I got the same polite, helpful, and prompt help. Needless to say, I will be making my purchase from Holmes Hobbies. I'll probably have a few more newb questions as I progress and just wanted to say, "Thank you."
Old 02-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #9

Quote:
I can't thank you guys enough. I fly helicoptors and planes but this crawling thing has me a bit stumped. I've found that most of the people that are into this segment of this hobby are great guys. When I purchased my SW2 chassis, I had a lot of stupid newb questions that I had for Bender. He was quick to reply and was extremely helpful. I haven't purchased my motor yet but I will be going brushless. I shot some more dumb questions to Holmes Hobbies and I got the same polite, helpful, and prompt help. Needless to say, I will be making my purchase from Holmes Hobbies. I'll probably have a few more newb questions as I progress and just wanted to say, "Thank you."

Don't feel too bad, I'm just getting into the Heli thing and it's got me stumped. It's a lot harder than it looks, that's for sure. However, that's the great thing about web forums. If you have a question, just ask and you will get great answers from all over the world. Gotta love it.