Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My custom electronics mount for SW2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My custom electronics mount for SW2

Basically all I have left to do to complete my SW2 crawler is mount the electronics. I wanted to wire it nice and clean.

I guess I want it to be somewhat of a scaler even though the chassis is more comp. based. I wanted to hide the electronics and wires.

I was wondering if anyone thought that this was just too much. I was going to go simple and easy on it, but one thing led to another and you know how it goes...

Here is the mount unpainted. When it's painted black, it should hide everything nicely:

The electronics will be mounted in these positions:

The mount goes into the chassis like this. I made a "guard" in the front to keep the spur gear shaft from hitting anything. The rear part that is sticking out will get drilled so I can thread the antenna wire through. It will be covered by the body:

An idea of where everything gets stuffed. The wires will go tight up against the chassis plate when I'm done...I won't leave them dangling by the spur gear!

And from the rear. This will get painted black and when you look through the body it should be pretty clean looking. Also, the ON/OFF switch is easy to get to but is almost flush...don't think anything can hit it and turn it off:
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
RCC Addict

while you are going over board on this why not completly encase it so it will be water proof ? ? ? looks like you are more thatn half way there anyway

nice job
chivas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Nice,

I got some lexan, and if I bend it, what can "glue" the "box" together? and be waterproof?
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClodCrawlin
Nice,

I got some lexan, and if I bend it, what can "glue" the "box" together? and be waterproof?
you got me there, have no idea what that means
Old 02-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas72
while you are going over board on this why not completly encase it so it will be water proof ? ? ? looks like you are more thatn half way there anyway

nice job
Thanks, but that's too much work!

I figure if I load up the electronics with dielectric grease along with this "splash guard" it should be ok...I'm not planning on deep water running!

The way the electronics tray is made, I can remove the electronics as one unit...maybe I could wrap it in something if I decide to hit lots of water.

I'm thinking about doing something for a battery mount that will swivel with the front end's articulation.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Okay take a piece of lexan, use a dremel to cut four squares out, making a health cross shape, heat it up, and bend it into a box.
Then make a flat piece that fits over the "box" and use little brass hatches!
Old 02-20-2007, 06:17 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClodCrawlin
Nice,

I see guys mention Shoe Goo alot. Probably any good silicon or a liguid nails type stuff should work.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Sweet,
I was thinking that too, could you do me a favor and put a tape measure next to the chassis and take a pic form the top?

Thanks man I want to see how big to make the box, I dont get the rig til 25th!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #9

Here is a simple and easy way to mount your electronics on a SW2 chassis. It uses the stock servo plates and the left over servo mounting posts for the rear. But it's clean and easy to do and keeps your electronics low in the chassis.

Side view with the antenna mount...

Front view

Bottom view

Wookiebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:59 AM   #10
RCC Addict

thanks for these last pics used the same method for the rx but the super rooster is just too large to fit the same spot so i used what looks like some sort of battery cover left over from the tlt to mount it separtely and it completly covers the bottom to give some sort of splash guard

i will post up pics as soon as i can