Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: SW3 Prototype..........New Pics of Production Version

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #181
Quarry Creeper

So upgrading to the New JRH Crawlmaster brushless motor that he has on pre-order won't be a good idea then. From what he says some breakage might occur...
So installing it in the prototype chassis will probably tweak it a little
Kev808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #182
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
Sparky had one of the first prototype SW3's, it's really too thin on the bottom of the motor side plate. Once I get a chance to machine a bunch of the 3's, I'll make a few extra one piece motor side plates for the prototypes that are out there.
Sweett!
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #183
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev808 View Post
So upgrading to the New JRH Crawlmaster brushless motor that he has on pre-order won't be a good idea then. From what he says some breakage might occur...
So installing it in the prototype chassis will probably tweak it a little
I haven't seen a chassis get twaeked yet from motor torque. The couple that I've seen bend were the result of a big fall.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:50 PM   #184
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I haven't seen a chassis get twaeked yet from motor torque. The couple that I've seen bend were the result of a big fall.
Kool . Cause it'll be getting a new motor/esc combo from JRH, So we'll see how it goes
Old 05-13-2007, 09:59 PM   #185
Rock Crawler

I would imagine that you would have something else snap before the chassis started to twist up, something in ht etranny or axles or driveline would most likely fail first. unless everything is made of steel!!!
Rc EnthuSiasTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #186
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc EnthuSiasTs View Post
I would imagine that you would have something else snap before the chassis started to twist up, something in ht etranny or axles or driveline would most likely fail first. unless everything is made of steel!!!
True...
Old 05-13-2007, 10:13 PM   #187
Keep it real

Quote:
Once I get a chance to machine a bunch of the 3's, I'll make a few extra one piece motor side plates for the prototypes that are out there.
Now that is service. You don't get that everywhere.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #188
Pebble Pounder

I have a protype one.So when you get them dome shoot me a pm?thanks
kodiakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:44 AM   #189
Quarry Creeper

Hey Brad,
can you please tell which is the distance between the lower links mount point on the chassis ?
The reason I ask is that I tryed to design my own tvp chassis but ended up with a 14" weelbase, due to a very long belly.
My front lowers are about 110mm eye to eye and don't think they are longer than 'standard crawler' ones. Due to the triangulation angle I cannot shorten them without changing the mounting point.

Perhaps I scrolled this thread a bit too fast, but I saw a photo of the sw3 chassis with a R2 tranny on it.
The tranny was fixed only with 2 screws on a side. Is it sufficient to take it in place ?
Besides mounting the r2 that way the output shaft has a great offset about the chassis center and it is not aligned with the bevel pinion in the axle. Trying to put the R2 shaft almost in the center causes some weight bias on one side: is it worse than having the shaft disaligned with the pinion ? Of course the sliders and yokes give some freedom but isn't it better to reserve it for articulation ?

Thanks
Filippo

Last edited by setecastronomy; 05-24-2007 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Some precisations added here to avoid hijacking the thread
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:13 AM   #190
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by setecastronomy View Post
Hey Brad,
can you please tell which is the distance between the lower links mount point on the chassis ?
The reason I ask is that I tryed to design my own tvp chassis but ended up with a 14" weelbase, due to a very long belly.

Thanks
Filippo

Try shorter links.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #191
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by setecastronomy View Post
Hey Brad,
My front lowers are about 110mm eye to eye and don't think they are longer than 'standard crawler' ones. Due to the triangulation angle I cannot shorten them without changing the mounting point.

Perhaps I scrolled this thread a bit too fast, but I saw a photo of the sw3 chassis with a R2 tranny on it.
The tranny was fixed only with 2 screws on a side. Is it sufficient to take it in place ?
Besides mounting the r2 that way the output shaft has a great offset about the chassis center and it is not aligned with the bevel pinion in the axle. Trying to put the R2 shaft almost in the center causes some weight bias on one side: is it worse than having the shaft disaligned with the pinion ? Of course the sliders and yokes give some freedom but isn't it better to reserve it for articulation ?

Thanks
Filippo
The lower link mounting points are 3 1/2" apart.

The R2 tranny is solidly mounted by the 2 screws shown in the pics.

Both the Stampede tranny and the R2 tranny have offset outputs for the driveshafts. Neither tranny is offset enough to bother driveshaft angles. I wouldn't worry about centering the outputs of the tranny in the chassis. As long as your ride height isn't set too high, the driveshafts shouldn't bind while the suspension cycles.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #192
Quarry Creeper

Any updates on when the side plates for the prototype chassis will be available?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #193
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev808 View Post
Any updates on when the side plates for the prototype chassis will be available?
The chassis material should be ready for pick-up now. I've got a bunch of skid plates machined already, as well as some link mounts. As soon as the chassis plate blanks show up, I'll sand them and send them out to anodize. Then start machining them.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #194
Quarry Creeper

That truck is awesome. Where did you got those bottom links. I want to get the same ones. I hear that material is great for sliding over rocks. I was wondering about the upper links plates if you can make them black too like the same color as the black chassis. I would relay like both the chassis and the upper links plates.
d-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #195
I wanna be Dave

Brad (Bender) makes his own Delrin links but you can buy them in different lengths from Finishline RC (not sure if Finishline still sells online but I think they can hook you up) Tell them Robb sent ya!
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote