Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: G Made wheel widner question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default G Made wheel widner question

I am using these widners that came as a kit from crawler store. Here is the main question: When I tighten the bolts, the wheel doesn't turn freely, so, I loosen it, and then, the wheel falls off. I have built my axles with full bearings if that will help you to guide me.
loanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Put some locktite on the nuts
TWISTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Keep it real

Do you have the little crosspin installed in the stubshaft, if not you would be tightening the wideners against the upright.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

I do have the little pins installed, and I tried the blue locktite. I installed the transmission and the motor and now it is so hard to turn anyhow which I think it is not normal. I didn't tighten the wheel bolts all the way, but enough to hold them in place.

I will hook up the electronics and I will be done, but again, I have to find out if the wheels will hold on just like the way they are now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis
Do you have the little crosspin installed in the stubshaft, if not you would be tightening the wideners against the upright.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I believe that when you tighten the wheel the hex gets pulled against the bearing too tight.

I tighten mine up and then back off just untill I feel the freeplay.

I used the Associated stubs along with one of the stock brass bushings to take up some of the extra space.

I think if I thin the bushings out some more, I can tighten the wheel down some more or I may take out the bushing altogether and see if it helps.
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

Try another washer on the outside. I think I had that problem and I think thats what fixed it.

It's been a while since I used wideners.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
RYY
Rock Stacker

Being a fellow newbie that recently built a kit from the crawler store with widners, a pedes trans and bearing axles. I would disconnect your motor and check tighness, disconnect te trans and recheck and so on until you have worked you way to the wheels. Did you lock your axles internally? If you hold your axle in one hand can you move the wheel in and out a little bit. Possibly the machined groove in the widner may have been machined to deep and they are being tightened into the axle.
RYY
RYY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Nor-CalRCRC

It sounds like you are preloading the bearings which will not only cause them to not turn freely but will also destroy them.

The wideners you have should have a small protruding ridge that extends from the side that has the slot for the pins. This ridge tightens against the inner race of the bearing unless your spacer is tightening against the pin before making full contact with the race.

Check to make sure that the only part of the widener that is touching the bearing is that small ridge and that it is only touching the inner race of the bearing.

If the widener is touching the seal portion of the bearing or the outer race it will not turn freely.

If you still have a problem you may need to run a spacer between the bearings. One that only contacts the inner races.

I have the same wideners and crank my barrel nuts down very tight. They still move with almost no resistance when cranked down.

Hope this helps.
montereycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #9
RCC Addict

just out of top of my head same setup but sounds like you might be missing the outer bearing

and the ridge instead of hitting the bearing it is tightening against the axle remember the knukles use two bearing one from the inside and one from the outside
chivas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:50 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

I do have all the bearings in the place, and used the blue locktite, and a bit less tightening. Now the monster climbs like a mad man.

Thanks all for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas72
just out of top of my head same setup but sounds like you might be missing the outer bearing

and the ridge instead of hitting the bearing it is tightening against the axle remember the knukles use two bearing one from the inside and one from the outside