Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Links question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
BLE

Default Links question

Hey all.....I'm a noob.

I used to race on-road electric so coming to this slow driving is a bit of a change. Anywho, got a question as I am building my rig.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the links (tracer type) where the upper links are triangulated toward the center vs. the triangulated links toward the axles (like most on here)??

And with the second type (toward axle), do the upper links have to be shorter? Meaning, can they be just as long as lower links. The servo moved for the front of course.
BLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
BLE

26 views and no answer??

Where are all the gurus at?

Or you guys just mounting the links that way because john, bob, mary, susan and everybody does it that way? hehehehe

Seeking knowlege.:-(
Old 03-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

In my opinion, the best way to center an axle is to have your links setup opposing one another (i.e. the uppers wider at the chassis and narrow at the axle and the lowers wider at the axle and narrower at the chassis). This will keep the axle from moving side to side unlike a link setup where all links are parallel.

This is how I setup the suspension on my crawlers...

Now, with that said, these are toys and an axle that walks a bit to one side wont make much of a difference.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I am not entirely sure of what you are asking as I don't fully understand how to triangulate the links 'toward' anything. I kinda just look at stuff and know how it should be, can't really explain it, it just makes sense in my head.

Anyway, regarding link length. I would think (I have a Clod based crawler and am brushing up for a shafty project) the top links need to be whatever length that allows the input to the axel to stay aligned with the output of the tranny. The more aligned the output and input are, the less power loss to binding in the drive.

As I said, I am not sure that is the right way, but it makes sense to me so that is how I am going to do it when I build mine.

rash
rash_powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

my links work just well, the uppers are narrow at the axle and wide at the body, my lowers are almost straight from the chassis to the axle, if the axle is almost level where the servo mounts it will work the best but its all preference.
MrBigStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I think hes trying to ask what the difference is if you set up the upper links like on a stock tlt where they are wider at the axle and narrow towards the chassis compared to how most people do it the opposite way.

The only thing I could think of is maybe clearance problems..
Defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender
I think hes trying to ask what the difference is if you set up the upper links like on a stock tlt where they are wider at the axle and narrow towards the chassis compared to how most people do it the opposite way.

The only thing I could think of is maybe clearance problems..
That's my guess to what he's asking.

To answer that question, when changing out transmissions to alternate transmissions that use Traxxas drive shafts, having the upper links triangulate in the center can cause clearance issues for the drive shafts. So moving them to the outside of the chassis and the inside of the axle just makes sense.

The triangulation keeps the axle from sliding from side to side.
Wookiebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I just asked this question this is what I got:

link question

It didn't exactly answer my question but it was close. Hope it helps
racer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
BLE

Yup...that is what I was asking.

Thanks for all the replies.