Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Twisted Designs Falcon Chassis Build Up (complete)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2007, 12:27 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Arrow Twisted Designs Falcon Chassis Build Up (complete)

I have recently bought a Twisted Designs Falcon 2.2 Comp Chassis and this is my build

The Package it came in is very clean looking and every part has its own baggy

First off lets start with the list of parts used in the build

Chassis&Axle Components

-Twisted Designs Falcon 2.2 Comp Chassis
-RCP Crawlers TLT CVD axle by Moore's Ideal Products (test set)
-RCP Crawlers TLT Aluminum Knuckles
-RC4WD Super Narrow 2.2 Beadlock Wheel Set Blue
-R2 V2 trans
-TLT axles (du)
-Moabs
-Hot Bodies Threaded Aluminum Shocks
-G made wheel wideners (for the rear)
-Jato Drive Shafts
-Stampede Steel Drive Yokes

Electronics

-Novak Crawler System
-Airtronics M11
-Spektrum Pro DSM
-Hitec HS-5955TG
-Custom EMOLI battery pack click here to build your own

MIC.
cone washers
metric screws & nuts

Now let the build begin!

First off i decided to get my beadlocks mounted up because that was something i could do while watching tv. (i cut the foams out in a circular form to fit the tires like a glove but forgot to take pictures before i mounted them)
When mounting the tires you want to freeze them so that they set in the rims bead nice and snug making for an easy mount.

you want to push the bead of the tire into the rim then put the ring on with 4 equally spaced bolts so you can easily and quicly mount the tire.

now lets get the diffs locked simply assemble them with jb weld in the case and your done.

Time to assemble the axles, in the photo below you can see the CVDs vs the stock drive line

and here you can see the half of the assembled axle case all mounted up and how the CVDs look when they are properly installed.

Time to mount the motor up to the trans, it was easy enough but the top screw on the trans plate hits the Novak motor, so i had to take it out, install the motor then reinsert the screw it rubbed against the case of the motor a little bit when i put it in but it will be alright.

Now lets get an in depth look at the chassis
Like i said at the begging the packaging was very clean with everything individually bagged giving a good first impression on me right off the gecko.

as you can see in the picture above this kit includes all of the links that are needed even the steering links To make thaings even sweeter these are delrin links! Along with the links the trans plate is also delrin, so your whole underbelly is gliding on butter whenever you slide on a rock.

The servo plates are very cool, i love how they are flat it really gives the crawler a cleaner look. When your looking at the axles it makes everything look a lot smother.

Now leets talk about the chassis, where to start this is one of the sickest looking out there, it is cleanly machined and drilled and looks just killer, on top of that this is very light weight and strong at a whopping 3mm so you don't have to worry about strength being an issue

Now to the only disadvantage in this build, when i was assembling the chassis i forgot to take pictures of it before i started mounting stuff up. (mainly because it all happened so quickly)

Their is a tight fit with the new R2 trans as it was built around the original, but i was informed that the next batch of chassis will be machined to better accommodate the newer trans. If you do not fell like waiting there is very little dremelling that is needed where only talking 1-2mm or so. But anyone running any other trans will not have any problems whatsoever. You don't have to cut any drive shafts out if you run the jatos, i do believe the stampede shafts are a little bigger but will probably fit really nice and snug without any cutting.

Everything else went together flawlessly and very quickly because i was saved much time by not having to make links up. This alone made me very happy because before you knew it i had the crawler together.

And finally for all of you people that just skimmed this thread looking only at pictures an will probably never read this because you are still looking only at the pictures here they are, the final product.

this truck has sick and twisted side hill, vertical, and downhill ability's! In some of these pictures your probably thinking the truck was falling backwards but it wasn't! It was sick this truck holds to to rocks like nothing else.

Heres the slideshowhttp://img267.imageshack.us/slidesho...424510pt9.smil

i highly recommend this chassis to anyone that wants a clean, easy to build and very very competitive truck, i can only imagine what this truck will be capable of when i get it really dialed in.

If you have any questions please fell free to post them or pm me or shoot an e-mail over to twisted designs. Thanks for looking at this build and dont forget to rate it.
thanks,
Krawler Freak
AKA Shane

Thanks Twisted Designs for making such a sick chassis And RCP Crawlers for having a very organized store and shipping out all of my parts in a very fast and orderly fashion.

Last edited by jason; 03-09-2007 at 03:18 AM.
Krawler Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2007, 02:55 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Wink more

Have you got any more pics or a video?
littleskull99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:10 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The crawler looks great!
How does the EMOLI pack compare to regular lipos or nimhs? What kind of runtimes are you getting?
TWISTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:15 AM   #4
I lost my vendor privileges

thats a nice lookin kit.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:22 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Nice build!

I really like those servo/upper link mounts.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleskull99
Have you got any more pics or a video?
I will try to get some more pics and maybe some video if i can get hold of a video camera today

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWISTER
The crawler looks great!
How does the EMOLI pack compare to regular lipos or nimhs? What kind of runtimes are you getting?
The EMOLI packs put out the same voltage as lipos and i didnt notice a difference from lipos to the EMOLI, but the EMOLI pack is 3000 Mah giving me well over 3 hours of runtime probly more if i had time to run it longer, and they are greatly cheaper than a lipo. I did notice a huge increase in power and runtime compared to a standered ni-mh pack compared to the other two.

If anyone wants a EMOLI pack pm me, so we can talk.

Thanks for the compliments
Old 03-09-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Sweet chassis. Nice truck too, maybe I will try out that chassis
Brandon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:46 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

LOOKS SICK shane,for such a quick build you did an awsom job.The vert crawling and side hilling is scary,you created a monster with that novac R2 combo,watch out the power is insain.Thanks great job give ya a "9" cant wait to see her in action!!! THIS ONE
twisted 420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

nice buid-up. looks great and i like the chassis too.
99chevyZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:09 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Looks great Shane.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Excellent write up Shane!

This is one of the best values out there for great comp chassis at a very reasonable price.

I didn't see it mentioned so I just wanted to add that the skid plate is drilled for the R2, the pede, and the Stealth all in one, so swiching drivetrains is as easy as removing 4 screws. Just unbolt and the tranny motor any whtever is mounted to it pops right out.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Sweet deal, hope it does well!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #13
I joined the Band!

Hello Brian,

Mine is built and ready now. I took pictures of it last night and finished the paint job as well. Not too excited about the paint job as I was rushing and going through bottles after bottles of beer and tequila shots. So I end up using some stickers on it to cover up my mess and now it is up to you guys to judge the look of it.

Will you or anyone else is willing to help me post my pictures here? I am planning to become a supportive memeber here, but like those pictures posted soon. So please let me know if you are be able to post my pictures here if I email them to you?

Thanks

Last edited by loanshark; 03-09-2007 at 01:21 PM.
loanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

loanshark use this place its easy and straight forward
Old 03-09-2007, 06:25 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

nice build, and really nice write up. The falcon looks like a good chassis. Those are sweet batteries.
Rc EnthuSiasTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Ill be competing at the SoCal RC finals tommarow and ill make sure to post lots o pics of it in comp action!
Old 03-12-2007, 04:20 PM   #17
I joined the Band!

Hope you have taken alot of pictures and you will be posting them soon. How did you do on your competition?
loanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Out of the 40 competitors at our event yesterday The Falcon chassis rigs took 3 of the top 10 spots. That's more top 10 spots than any other 2.2 chassis on the market. Good job guys
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver
Out of the 40 competitors at our event yesterday The Falcon chassis rigs took 3 of the top 10 spots. That's more top 10 spots than any other 2.2 chassis on the market. Good job guys

Wow, I didn't notice that yesterday. I knew Shane had the falcon but didn't notice who else was running it. Socal has A LOT of really good drivers, so taking 3 of the top 10 spots says a lot about the chassis.
calyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:39 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

The other FALCONS on the rocks were { ALEK A ,LANDON A,TWISTED420} WHO's NEXT!!!!!
twisted 420 is offline   Reply With Quote