Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Newbie TLT Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #1

Default Newbie TLT Build

Hello ... I've been messing around with Nylints for a year or so, but after the stock electronics on my 1/18th stick took a dump I decided to get a decent setup. Ebay is my friend and a couple of days ago a brand new but badly put together Tracer framed TLT landed on my doorstep. After charging a battery, I found a whole bunch of stuff wrong, so swapped out the ESC and servo, swapped out all the shocks for Integy's I had laying around and took the trans apart and locked it.

Now I have other problems which I hope someone can help me with ... the motor (45T Integy) stalls really easily and then releases the blue smoke. I'm assuming this is a bad thing, but is there anything I can check before I lay out my hard earned for a new one? And if I need a new one, what is the motor of choice?

What sort of gearing should I be using on this thing? Currently it's 83/20.

Thanks in advance for your help ...
whit5ham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

You will want to lower the gearing ALOT,this is why ur stallin....(check out some other post bout that),and ur motor is way to fast for rock crawling, u might want to go to a 55t
MAX climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX climber
You will want to lower the gearing ALOT,this is why ur stallin....(check out some other post bout that),and ur motor is way to fast for rock crawling, u might want to go to a 55t
A 45T is fine for crawling. Lots of people use them.

whit5ham_wannabe, I do however agree with MAX climber about the gearing. You'll want to come down probably 4-5 teeth on the pinion. That should help a lot with the stalling.
calyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yea I personally like the 45t because it alows u the posibility of gaining speed before u hit a rock to give u that extra boost
Turblankas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yeah i agree, about the gearing...and 45t should be just right.... i have a 65t and it is too slow IMO.
Rc EnthuSiasTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

you probly need to rebuild the motor and try a 12 tooth pinion and a 72 spur..it works greqat for my setup
gasshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
A 20t pinion is pretty damn tall. 83/20 should not be any problem at all. (48 pitch I assume?)
Hell, I'm runnin' 70/9 in 32 pitch. No stalling and monster torque from an Integy 65t.
A 45t lathe motor should be ok. Depends on personal preference, how much wheelspeed you want, etc. A 65t would be a better choice for a dedicated crawler, but a 45t would work fine w/ the right esc. I'm runnin' a 65t now, I'd like to try a 45t for a little more wheelspeed.
Quote:
you probly need to rebuild the motor
BINGO!!!! Gasshead wins the prize. Brushed motors have to be meticulously maintained to perform at optimum levels.
I'd take the motor to the lhs and get the comm trued, get some new brushes and heavy springs, clean it all up real good and give it another shot. Or a new Integy lather won't break the bank if the old one is too far gone to tune up.

Last edited by Big Mike; 03-19-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
RCC Addict

My experience is.....I use a 55t with 84 spur and 12 or 13t pinion....or you can keep the spur the same 84t, and go with 45t and 14 to pinion or 12.. or 65t motor and 15 tooth pinion...I would say keep it in that range and then figure out changes dependant on terrain...Hope that helps.
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #9

Thanks for that advice ... I ordered up a 55t and a selection of gears, so I will play around and see what works. I was expecting it all to be more expensive, after a few years playing with a 1:1 I'm not used to being able to order a motor and a bunch of gears for $50

And while I'm waiting, it's time to get out the JB Weld and the glue gun and lock those axles ...
Old 03-22-2007, 07:25 PM   #10

Okay, so my new motor and gearing arrived yesterday and with the 55t and 12/83 and locked axles, it finally crawls better (much better) than my Nylint. Yay.

But .... the belt is now slipping. I was looking at ways of getting a tensioner in there, but the question is - is it worth bothering? Or should I just lay out some more money on a V2 and be done with it? Pretty soon, all that'll be left is the axles ...!

Thanks again ...
Old 03-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

truthfully i would not bother with th4e belt. I would get a gear tranny. The belt even if it tight may still break, or even keep slipping:-(
Rc EnthuSiasTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #12
RCC Addict

The belts simply dont work over time and will break...

Hope that helps...

Go alum gears...
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whit5ham_wannabe View Post
Okay, so my new motor and gearing arrived yesterday and with the 55t and 12/83 and locked axles, it finally crawls better (much better) than my Nylint. Yay.

But .... the belt is now slipping. I was looking at ways of getting a tensioner in there, but the question is - is it worth bothering? Or should I just lay out some more money on a V2 and be done with it? Pretty soon, all that'll be left is the axles ...!

Thanks again ...
sorry to bring old stuff back up, but i was doing a search and this was the closest to my q that i saw

you say here 12/83 on a stock tlt tranny what pitch or even better what part numbers

i know i shouldnt be lookin into this but my nephew got a tracer eventlually he will end up with one of my pede's but for now i really need to get his gearing down on that stock tranny

any help please ! ! ! !
chivas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:28 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The belt even if it tight may still break, or even keep slipping
Depends on how you modify your transmission.

Check this out:
what's bad about the TLT tranny?

At the bottom of this thread are drawings of how I modified my TLT transmission, the HPI RS4 belt part #, and how I make dogbones to fit the stock TLT drive cups.

My belt very rarely skips, and if it does it's just a tooth or three then it's back in action.
The other day I did this, by throttling the rig against a rock trying to get the left front over it. I pulled my steering linkage apart instead. The belt did'nt skip once...

Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas72 View Post
sorry to bring old stuff back up, but i was doing a search and this was the closest to my q that i saw

you say here 12/83 on a stock tlt tranny what pitch or even better what part numbers

i know i shouldnt be lookin into this but my nephew got a tracer eventlually he will end up with one of my pede's but for now i really need to get his gearing down on that stock tranny

any help please ! ! ! !
no mods just gearing upgrade question
Old 05-01-2007, 01:06 PM   #16
RCC Addict

what spur gears are replacment for the stock ? ? ?

and what pitch are they ? ? ? or just change the pinion ?? ?