Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Help with Bulu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2005, 09:33 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Also.....

SPUR GEAR FACES TO THE REAR!
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2005, 01:14 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
Also.....

SPUR GEAR FACES TO THE REAR!

Toyofast,

I'm still waiting to see how you mount your battery.

Clark
SupermanWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:52 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92YotaOnRims
dude...if you look at it...you can't TELL somebody how to put their links...it's THEIR CHOICE...not trying to be a rep...but there are many different options as i had to encounter many when i built my truck...so you can't have one specific basis for link placement...yes you probably could have an instruction sheet...but your going to have to find EVERY SINGLE link placement option...and their endless...because your imagination is endless!
Just one that works would be good. I am not bashing the chassis or anything jsut yet. I am still searching for a good placement. But I have tried EVERY way with the stock mounting holes and none of them seem right. When you twist the rear end, it binds up too much. Also, when you move the axel up and down the axel twist and it is NOT supposed to do that. I have found what I believe is the BIG problem with it. The upper links are mounted too low. But the way that the chassis is cut on the rear you cant fix it.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:09 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Rock, your best bet from where I'm setting would be to get some aluminum "L" channel and cut it down to fit over your servo as Toyo is sudgesting. From what I understand all of the link mount holes on the chassie are drilled for that set-up and it really does give you better suspinsion geometry in the long run. I've always run my trucks with that set-up just because it's easyer to control the role center then with the PWT type link mounts.

That's what I'm thinking anyway

Last edited by Highmark; 03-22-2005 at 08:12 PM.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:16 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark
Rock, your best bet from where I'm setting would be to get some aluminum "L" channel and cut it down to fit over your servo as Toyo is sudgesting. From what I understand all of the link mount holes on the chassie are drilled for that set-up and it really does give you better suspinsion geometry in the long run.

That's what I'm thinking anyway

Thats what I cant figure out....Mine is better than his. J/K Toyo
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2005, 08:33 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Also when you twist the axel, it doesnt stay centered....it should stay in the center of the chassis.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

First off....

Everyone has different ways to mounting links, on the axles. From my knowledge there is no current aftermarket way to mount links on the axles. It seems as if Tamiya set it up to be pretty stuck with the stock mounting brackets and locations, sure you could make them work but not with the Bulu1 or Bulu2.

Second...

Building a crawler, especially a TLT axle based one takes time. Building a crawler is all trial and error. If you want a turn-key crawler, PM me with your money limit and I'm sure we could work out a plan. You need to be patient when building, serch and search more. It's hard to always post up the newest setups we install, it changes weekly due to trying to step it up a notch.

Here are some current pictures of how my links are setup. Use the idea to build your own, or PM me for more info on having brackets built. This setup keeps everything straight and moving smoothly. Proper shock placement is key too... if you don't have them setup right you'll experience some binding. My setup is very smooth and keeps everything inline as it should be.

Now, are you people having issues with building the truck or driving
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2005, 08:39 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Now, are you people having issues with building the truck or driving
Driving

BTW...You truck looks like sh*t.

When you move your axels up and down do your axels twist or do they stay level?Like whe you compress the shocks.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:53 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler
Driving

BTW...You truck looks like sh*t.
That's because I use it

Quote:
When you move your axels up and down do your axels twist or do they stay level?Like whe you compress the shocks.

Are you asking if the axles "sway" from side to side when flexing, like out of center alignment? Or are you asking if the axle "rolls" when flexing? When I say "roll", I mean the top rolls forward....

When my truck flexes everything stays as it should in a 4-link setup. Axle stays centered and everything moves freely without any binding. Proper vertical seperation of the links is critical to setting up the truck to work properly. The way mine is now, everything is on par with proper setup.

If I helped, great... if I made is worse, too bad
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2005, 11:04 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid56
Dude, are you retarted or just dumb? YUGO would have not sold 100,000 cars if they didnt have a great product
i said it was bad, and it is. i am sory if you dont know what geometry is. i also said it works for what it is. but when you flex it, just like the other guy pointed out, the axles goes out of center a lot, way too much for a tlt.
Shane
Dude...settle down. Look at Toyo's truck. Will yours do that? Mine wont right now. And I have figured out why, its the mounting position of the top links. I took the botttom links off.....still did it. Took the shocks off.....still did it. When you take the top links loose, it doesn't. They have just got to be mounted just right.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:03 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

If you really want to setup you links then do as these pictures show... this is all I have so don't ask for more. These are secret pictures taken of the #1 Bulu2 truck ever built by S-n-T Fab. It works super well.

Buy some InetRC TLT servo mounts and do as in the pictures:
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2005, 11:59 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Default BULU 2....Done Yet!

My BULU 2 is going together as we speak and I just want to make sure that after all these posts it has been figured out and perfected And you will never guess who is putting mine together
a_vdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:38 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

When you guys are testing the flex on the rigs, are you testing it with or without your shocks mounted?

Try doing it without your shocks mounted first. If it moves freely then your problem my be how you have your shocks mounted.

Quote:
Dont get me wrong Toyo, I know this kit will work But I even went last night and bought some of the Alum. Angle.....same as yours, mounted it the same as yours and for some damn reason it binds up and wont flex far unless I leave one of the screws out of the upper link mount thats on top of the servo so that it can turn a little. I know this sounds wierd but I have set up mine just like I have seen some of the others and for the sake of God I cannot figure it out.LOL I understand that there are many ways to set it up but I think that there should be a BASIC setup.

The BASIC way to set it up was stock

Now, what I can't understand is how some of you can say that you have it mounted exactly like I do.... Have any of you actaully seen my setup in person? Has anyone taken measurements of my setup to see if it's the same? No. I went through about 6 different link mounting setups before getting to where I'm at now. I bet in another week it'll change again. It's just how the game is played. Change has to happen to stay with the lead pack.

Check out how Dave has setup his new truck:
"KNEEL BEFORE LORD VADER"!!! He has taken his setup past mine and his Bulu2 rig was freshly built too! I spy a 3-link setup like the other top dawgs in the 2.2 ORCRC class. I'm still running the old 4-link setup. :?

I can only give so much information...
Old 03-24-2005, 08:43 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

91mm on the top and 102mm on the bottom....I think there the stock traxxas turnbuckles. It has good artic. but it has to twist the top front link mounts to do it?

Last edited by Rockcrawler; 01-04-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:01 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

you might want to switch your servo horn the other way around, so that your steering angles are not as bad. it will help with steering somewhat.
Shane
paranoid56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:17 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

If I do that I will have to change the linkage setup....I run 4ws.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:19 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I spy a 3-link setup like the other top dawgs in the 2.2 ORCRC class. I'm still running the old 4-link setup. :?

I can only give so much information...

P.S. I already have the 3 link setup.....Toyofast if you want pics let me know and I will PM you with them.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:28 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
91mm on the top and 102mm on the bottom....I think there the stock traxxas turnbuckles. It has good artic. but it has to twist the top front link mounts to do it?

Your upper links are not even the same, as far as how they line up with the axle.... Your trianglation needs work, perhaps that is some of the problem.

Do this, put a 3mm-4mm wide spacer inside that "A" bracket, then tighten down the links. Or cinch down the "A"bracket until it closes together and the links get really close. Try different things.... that's all I/we do.

And you do need to fix that steering setup....

Here are a few more images of my link setups that I have played with. Each setup worked but after doing one modification I'd take it for a spin outside on some rocks.. then change something again, then go back outside and see if I have made it better.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2005, 09:51 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

F*** it...I like my 3 link better and I know how to set it up.LOL I was just trying to figure out the 4 link.LOL I get awsome flex with 3 link anyway.
Also, when I compress the shocks.....my axels stay level.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:57 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Your upper links are not even the same, as far as how they line up with the axle.... Your trianglation needs work, perhaps that is some of the problem.
They were the same...I checked. It looks like that because I only had 1 screw in the front mount.