Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Salma's TLT XRC Jeep Rubicon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Salma's TLT XRC Jeep Rubicon

Well my daughter and myself started her first, my second build

We got hooked up with the following

TLT kit - Ultimate hobbies
XRC Custom Chasis and steering links - Xtreme Hobbies
HPI Rims + moabs + CA Glue - LHS
Side Body Posts - LHS
Rubicon Body - LHS
Stampede Tranny - Tammies Hobbies
Integy 55t - RCP
Tower Pro 995 + y harness - Jp Customs
Aluminum Knuckles - Jp Customs
ball bearings - Jp Customs
Wideners - MSD + Tower Hobbies
Pede shafts - Tower hobbies
Metal Yokes - RPP
Moped V16R - CPE
TQ2 with reciver an crystals - Brandom M
Battery Pack - Cheap Batteries
Shocks - RG Motorsports

Last edited by chivas72; 03-28-2007 at 11:32 AM.
chivas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Pics

We started of purty good but then we got lazy on the pics and were just taking pics of the finished steps, we would work on it at home and i would take the pics next day at work

lockers and diff assembly

Old 03-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Default more pics

Pede Tranny

after i shaved the axles she put on the shock/link mounts

we skipped a few steps of pics but started testing different shock and link configurations as posted on the Post XRC buildign Q's

this i hate and was wondering if the y reversing harness that holmes hobbies sells would elimintate that big post

more set up pics

Old 03-28-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Default paint job

i did this myself Salma was in school she piked the colors

masking, first coat, unmasking, more coats, more unmasking and final coat and trimming

next time i will trim first

Old 03-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Default body on Pics

here it is with the body on. we thnk we need to move the body back a little what do you guys recomend to cover up the hole that we made ? ? ?

Old 03-28-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Default body off pics

here is the final shock link config we liked. we shortned the front shocks travel so eye to eye it measures 3.75" and rears 3.5" if you can see the rg motorsports shocks have ball ends at both sides so it was easy and clean to mount them upside down and use no fuel tubing for a cleaner build

the mounts for the ESC and RX are stock tlt servo plates

we are just waiting for the steering links from Xtreme Hobbies to have it finalized

Thanks to all who helped with their insight - Mr.Pink, ClodCrawlin, Frank Rizzo, Tanis, Sleek6mt, wrightcs77, Barnaby and last but least specia thanks to David for his excellent craftsmanship and help.

David it would be cool to see if you could draw those lines that you do and chek out our link positioning.

Thanks again and here are the pics

Old 03-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Nice picture buildup. Man I don't envy you. I am glad I have 2 boys. If I had a little girl that pretty, I'd be following everywhere with a shotgun to keep the boys away. Good luck in her teenage years!

No idea about the body post hole. I just leave it. I figure it will get scratched anyway, no use worrying about it.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloak View Post
Nice picture buildup. Man I don't envy you. I am glad I have 2 boys. If I had a little girl that pretty, I'd be following everywhere with a shotgun to keep the boys away. Good luck in her teenage years!

No idea about the body post hole. I just leave it. I figure it will get scratched anyway, no use worrying about it.
thanks for your kind comments, no crap can;t wait myabe the fun will start ....lol! ! !

i guess so on the holes

thanks again
Old 03-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #9
Ultimate RC Decals

very cool build!

i see this alot of rubicon and cj8 body pics. your tail lights are on upside down.
BOWTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I`ve filled in old body holes before, it`s easy. If you have some lexan left, just cut little plugs the same size as your holes and put some electric tape on the inside (blue/red) to match the paint color. Then stick your plug to the tape, put a little ca glue around your plug and body. The color tape should show through.
drumbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Or you could always just cover the hole with a sticker or something.
gr33nlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:21 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr33nlemon View Post
Or you could always just cover the hole with a sticker or something.
thanks this is what i did

but that plug ideas with color eletrical tape sound s good too

thanks guys
Old 03-29-2007, 09:32 AM   #13
Debunking old stereotypes

Looks like a cool build. I think it's awesome when people get their kids involved in a hobby like this. We have a father, son, and grandson 3 generations in MNRCRC, and a couple father sons that crawl with us.
I think when you start the kids young on a hobby like this, it becomes a lifetime hobby. Selma has a cool dad! I hope she enjoys her new crawler
Pretty cool she gets to help with the build.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Here's your A.S. layout. Your A.S. is pretty high here, you may want to try and level out your upper links without changing anything else to lower the point of convergence and lower your A.S. a bit.

David

PS. I couldn't agree more with what freetimecrawler said. Too many children are neglected these days and everyone wonders why they get in trouble. It's super nice to see a dad spending time with their child
Attached Images

insanerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:53 PM   #15
RCC Addict

thanks for the coments guys i got into 1:1 crawling precisely cuz it sits four so the whole family could find a hobby that is fun and takes you to incredible places. Salma is my co-pilot the wife and my youngest daughter are not much of adrenaline junkies.

so it was only natural for Salma to start inquiring about the rc crawlers until it was her b-day and asked to build a kit for herlself

most definitley troubled kids are just asking for attention good bad or any and that's when problems start.

to return to topic: to get that as down all i would need is to lower the chasis more ? ? ?

any and all suggestions and instructions are appreciated as all these technical terms are new to me

thanks
David
Old 03-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Default Salma on the Rocks

Old 03-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

very nice write up as always Chivas! The build looks good, can't wait to see some action shots.

I love the paint job as well.

I hope to get my sons into this as well... but they are only 3 and 1... once my 3 year old is fully toilet trained, I told him we will start his "Monster Truck"... he gets excited everytime.
gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #18
RCC Addict

what i have learned is that never is it too early to get involved or geting your kids involved

back in the 1:1 club we have had a memebers with thier kids as young as 6 moths in cars seats doing trail runs ( no extreme stuff at least too extreme lol)
Old 03-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas72 View Post
thanks for the coments guys i got into 1:1 crawling precisely cuz it sits four so the whole family could find a hobby that is fun and takes you to incredible places. Salma is my co-pilot the wife and my youngest daughter are not much of adrenaline junkies.

so it was only natural for Salma to start inquiring about the rc crawlers until it was her b-day and asked to build a kit for herlself

most definitley troubled kids are just asking for attention good bad or any and that's when problems start.

to return to topic: to get that as down all i would need is to lower the chasis more ? ? ?

any and all suggestions and instructions are appreciated as all these technical terms are new to me

thanks
David

Hey,

I have no idea how much ground clearance you have but if you like the height you don't have to change it. on your upper links you can either move the chassis ends down or the axle ends up. Most people will find a much more capable rig when they aren't running too much A.S. You really need to drive and tune to find what works best for you, your rig, your style of driving, as well as the terrain that you crawl. It's best not to use A.S. to control torque twist. You do however need enough A.S. where you don't get too much squat on climbs or you'll flip back.

David
insanerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #20
RCC Addict

i noticed that my convergence point is more towards the middl eof the chasis that the ones you drew up on the cf chasis. on the cf chasis you drw the line to converge on the upper link screw. am i missing something ? ? ?