Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Blackfoot axles worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 06:31 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Blackfoot axles worth it?

I needed to widen my TLT axles but didn't want to drop the coin on wideners and sloppy had some blackfoot axles sitting around wiating for the same thing that hadn't been done yet so he gave them to me.

I'm not sure how you guys are using these but they are a real PITA. The cup is way longer than the stock TLT axle so I cut that down to match. Then the material thickness is way to thick so the dog bone end binds inside of it after only like 15 degrees or turning. I started grinding one down to get more steering and have it working pretty well but it still binds in two spots. I think its the pin of the dog bone end maxing out the slot in the cup. So I'm going to lengthen the slots just a bit more to se if it helps.

Does anyone have a tutorial on using these axles and what needs to be modded? Am I using the wrong ones? Pics would help tremendously. I tried searching but got a lot of threads unrelated in the return.

Thanks!
Nick
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

the only other blackfoot stub shafts are hex drive. if you think yours are a PITA, try the hex ones!

other than that i dont know but alot of people have been doing it so somthing must work. i got tobbe craft widners for mine, although i think too wide for comps if i bought another set i'd get them again.

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 04-03-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsteenster View Post
the only other blackfoot stub shafts are hex drive. if you think yours are a PITA, try the hex ones!

so I take it all this grinding is normal? I have no problem making them work. I just don't want to waste my time if i'm being dumb and overlooking something.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

well thinking about it, the cup is much deeper than a normal cup so yes for that, as far as inside the cup i dont know.

(ahem) uh, if you do a search you mind find it newb

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 04-03-2007 at 07:42 AM. Reason: added insult.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I did search and got threads that had nothing to do with it!

EDIT: after doing MORE searching I did find this thread but no pics. It does mention needing to shave down the cups but nothing really about hollowing them out or anything.

TLT / Blackfoot Stub Axles

Last edited by NickRummy; 04-03-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

are you sure theyr blackfoot axles? maybe they are super blackfoot instead of king blackfoot, im not sure if theyr the same or not and i think the super did away with the hex bones.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
RCC Addict

since the rig i put them in is my daughters basher i added the rear steer and didn;t shave the stubs

the only reason i got them was because i needed them for msd widners or else i would have gotten the gmade wideners and stock stubs but they weren't available at the time
chivas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:12 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I run super blackfoot stubs on both of my comp rigs and have not any problems... Yes you have to shorten the drive cup some. But thats it.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
I run super blackfoot stubs on both of my comp rigs and have not any problems... Yes you have to shorten the drive cup some. But thats it.
yup, they work mint
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
RCC Addict

so you have to shorten them but you don't have to hollow them out huh? sounds like I have some problems then.