Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Steering issues?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Steering issues?

My TLT has a ST125 servo, it turns 180 degrees right? when pluged in it goes about 45 each way, 90 degrees total from left to right. Well I cut my stub axles for my TLT to turn sharper, that works but my servo/linkage setup wont allow. I got the linkage on the Right Front knuckle up to servo (I put it so its got a linkage thats longer, isnt it better?)
..................__________......................
.................|...........O....|............... ....
...__...........|__________|........__........
..|_|.....................................|_|..... ...
.................................................. .....

front right knuckle...................Front Left knuckle
^^^^^^^^^^^from driving seat^^^^^^^^^^
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2007, 12:48 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

no it dosn't turn 180* it only dose 90*, and why are you doing that funky chicken scratches when you have a star and know how to post pics?
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:52 AM   #3
MWRCA'er

If you are not getting enough steering throw you simply need a longer servo horn.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:54 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Depends on your transmitter. What are you using?

The servo will only throw as far as the transmitter tells it to. Usually 90 degrees.

I did the standard knuckle and axle modifications, and discovered that the servo would not push the knuckles as far as they could go, I still had more room to turn farther.

So I also modified the case of my TQ3 to obtain the rest of the range of steering. It's pretty easy, just about anyone could pull this off.

Pull the cover off of the center of the wheel and remove the screw. Pull the wheel off it's axle, and you'll see stops built into the case and back of the wheel to limit how far it is allowed to turn. I removed about 1/8" to 3/16" of material from the stops in the case, so the wheel can turn a bit farther.

Now my steering has full lock-to-lock range. The knuckles will turn all the way into the axle, and my 2.2 Moabs just barely touch my shocks at full lock (and they're mounted pretty far inboard, on the links) and I have'nt modified my stub axles at all.

Last edited by Big Mike; 04-27-2007 at 07:01 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
no it dosn't turn 180* it only dose 90*, and why are you doing that funky chicken scratches when you have a star and know how to post pics?
By hand it goes 180, and when its on, it goes 90. So there must be some way to get it to go 180!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
If you are not getting enough steering throw you simply need a longer servo horn.
My steering arm touches my main link, and its bolted straight to the knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Depends on your transmitter. What are you using?

The servo will only throw as far as the transmitter tells it to. Usually 90 degrees.

I did the standard knuckle and axle modifications, and discovered that the servo would not push the knuckles as far as they could go, I still had more room to turn farther.

So I also modified the case of my TQ3 to obtain the rest of the range of steering. It's pretty easy, just about anyone could pull this off.

Pull the cover off of the center of the wheel and remove the screw. Pull the wheel off it's axle, and you'll see stops built into the case and back of the wheel to limit how far it is allowed to turn. I removed about 1/8" to 3/16" of material from the stops in the case, so the wheel can turn a bit farther.

Now my steering has full lock-to-lock range. The knuckles will turn all the way into the axle, and my 2.2 Moabs just barely touch my shocks at full lock (and they're mounted pretty far inboard, on the links) and I have'nt modified my stub axles at all.
Thanks
Old 04-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTCrawlin View Post
By hand it goes 180, and when its on, it goes 90. So there must be some way to get it to go 180!

All servos do this...normal servos only rotate 60-90* under power though.

One way to gain a bit of steering is to mount your links as far in (closest to the axle) on the knuckles. If you are running the stock plastic knuckles, this isn't an option unless you want to drill new holes further in on the knuckle arm.

-Destroyer
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Doesnt that mess with the laws of leverage (servo throw)
Old 04-27-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Yep, more travel at the expense of leverage.
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote