Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project Land Cruiser (update 2005-03-19)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2005, 04:09 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcastrc
The only way is to mount it on the side like a standard emaxx tranny, and then you'd loose the ability to have a driver or passenger.
what are you going to put barbie and ken in there? :?
function over form..... always
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2005, 04:25 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
what are you going to put barbie and ken in there? :?
function over form..... always

didn't you read?

he is putting vinnie from occ in their!
ronbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:08 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbeck
didn't you read?

he is putting vinnie from occ in their!
oh,
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:17 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

That cable is for the emaxx tranny. I mount the servo in the gas tank area. I haven't mounted it yet because the body is coming off 20 times a day. So until I bolt the body down I won't mount that servo.

Ken and Barbie are way to big to be 1/10 scale. How do I know this. Cause I trip over the darn things every day because of my daughter...

OCC figures are at least a decent figure, and they are 1/10 scale so they should fit in with our projects better then most...
outcastrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:29 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Hee hee, TOO COOL! The fabbed up pieces like the seat, floors, firewall etc.......very nice and scale. Neat project indeed!
RCALLOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:08 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Another quick update. I made and installed the Dash after work.

Old 03-25-2005, 10:12 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Another quick update:

I whipped up a dash decal. More to come this weekend.

Old 03-25-2005, 10:17 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Another quick update:

I whipped up a dash decal. More to come this weekend.

outcast you are one sick man!

and i am just totally surprised and inspired by your level of detail, scale and the fact it should run pretty well i just a bonus!
Old 03-25-2005, 10:28 AM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Thanks! I have put a lot of time into making this design work. It was always to be a replacement to my bruiser. Which I will regret to my dying day for selling. But at the same time I am glad is gone because it was a money pit (tho a gorgeous one) I would never drive! This at least I can enjoy.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:48 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Sweet ride.

Any plans for seat covers?

Had a idea for the steering, a idler arm on the outside of the frame? I think this would give a more horizontal and longer drag link that may improve steering.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:21 AM   #31
Adilynsdad too!

Where are you going to put the cooler of nice cold adult beverages? Sweet ride, go ahead and make an aluminum body too.
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 04:55 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Nah, this was enough aluminum work to last me a lifetime.

Right now I don't plan on any form of seat covers. I will consider your idea's for the steering if my latest revision falls thru.

Which brings me to another update. To stop the front axle from moving at all I made a 3 link for it today. I am glad to say that the axle has ZERO play now. I am throwing in my electronics to give the truck a test drive to see how much it helped the steering play. While I was at it I borrowed Rikpal's coil spring pads and adapted them to fit my specs. Heres also a picture of what I did to move the rear steering components forward. There all body off shots for now, but theres a reason!

Last edited by outcastrc; 03-25-2005 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:09 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Well I just took it for a burn and WOW!!! Its driving better then ever before. It still raises and lowers the suspension when you try to turn on carpet from a stand still but it throws the tires over at the same time. So its 1000x better then before. I would be willing to live with where its at now, but I think a bit of shimming can get rid of some more. The axles have zero play in them. The coils refuse to pop out even tho theres no retainers. I thought it might be ok since the coils are captured by the caps on both ends and there is a bit of spring tension even at full articulation. A full pack and they didn't budge. It would take something grabbing the spring to remove them. I'll leave it the way it is and see how it fares long term. Separating the coils from the shocks was one of the best things I did! Its the softest, smoothest ride I have seen out of any of my rc's... A million times better then this truck was running the normal style.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:21 PM   #34
Lifetime Gold Baby!

just an idea...I have aluminum seats in my scratchbuilt 1/8 r/c camaro and I made the seat cushions out of black mousepad....but flip it upside down and glue the top of the pad into the seat leaving the rubber exposed...looks very realistic and you can cut it with a decent pair of scissors. and I made harnesses out of red fabric ribbon...just a thought for you
kingcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:21 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Got any more details on those coil mounts? Those are EXACTLY what I'm looking for for my scale project.
Jneves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:17 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jneves
Got any more details on those coil mounts? Those are EXACTLY what I'm looking for for my scale project.
They are really old Tamiya shock parts. The bottom spring retainers. Couldn't tell you what they were origionally from. I do know that the Clod Buster ones are too big, but can be filed down to size if you throw them into a dremel or drill. I had to do that with 2 of mine. I only had six that fit. 20 or so that were too big!

Just cut off the ball end, then drill a hole down the center to accept the screw of your choice. Theres even room to drill a hole beside the center hole if you need to offset some like I had to.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:15 AM   #37
Rock Stacker

Quote:
They are really old Tamiya shock parts. The bottom spring retainers. Couldn't tell you what they were origionally from. I do know that the Clod Buster ones are too big, but can be filed down to size if you throw them into a dremel or drill. I had to do that with 2 of mine. I only had six that fit. 20 or so that were too big!

Just cut off the ball end, then drill a hole down the center to accept the screw of your choice. Theres even room to drill a hole beside the center hole if you need to offset some like I had to.

Cool I was planning on doing something similiar with parts off of some Associated shocks I have laying around. Good to see you get good flex without the coil wanting to pop out.

Also like the A-arms for the 3 link nice work
Jneves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:39 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

This is just a test rollbar. I figured I would see how far I could go with tubing and the tools I had available to me. Couple more practise bars and I should be at what I want.

Old 04-02-2005, 06:52 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

wOw outcast, that is looking great!

how does she run???

thanks for sharing.

-peter-

Old 04-02-2005, 08:27 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbeck
wOw outcast, that is looking great!

how does she run???

thanks for sharing.

-peter-

It drives like a dream actually! The coil suspension and and heavier weight really make it feel better when driving. More realistic. It crawls way better then I could have hoped as well. Since it was supposed to be a scale crawler, my expectations weren't that high.