Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project Land Cruiser (update 2005-03-19)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2005, 09:37 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Outcast, absolutely great work!!!!! I really dig your 3-link design. Perhaps you could make a post with pics and some more info on making something similar? I'd like to do that to my TLBruiser. Thanx for sharing and again; great work!
fullmodtxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2005, 10:35 PM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmodtxt
Outcast, absolutely great work!!!!! I really dig your 3-link design. Perhaps you could make a post with pics and some more info on making something similar? I'd like to do that to my TLBruiser. Thanx for sharing and again; great work!
I started with the 3 points that I wanted to attach with the bars. I then made a template on the computer so that I would have something to work off of. Cut brakeline tube to length and then using a round file I fish mouthed the tubes to get the tubes closer to each other. After that I took a dremel with a sanding drum and ground off all the parts I needed to solder to. You need to get the galvenizing off. I add flux paste to the areas to be soldered as well. Then I just soldered with a propane torch and silver solder. Once you have what you want then its just a matter of tapping the ends with a 6/32 tap. screw some screws into the tapped holes (use locktight). Dremel the screw ends off and screw on some traxxas ball ends. Adjust the ball ends to fit and your done.

Prolly sounds worse then it is, but it is really easy to make up links this way...
outcastrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 04:20 PM   #43

very cool I like that shock setup.
micromanftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:12 PM   #44
RCC Addict

hey outcastrc. i have a Q. too ask, how well does the 3-link work, and does how much suspesion travel does it have, please help.
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:51 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpede
hey outcastrc. i have a Q. too ask, how well does the 3-link work, and does how much suspesion travel does it have, please help.
It has the same as any 4 link I have ever tried. Possibly more, theres less links to bind... The main thing that it does is absolutely locks the axle in so there is no sideways movement.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:39 AM   #46
RCC Addict

thank you for your help.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Outcast - Looks fricken awsome! I think you should put in a full roll cage. One thing I would do is weld all the floor pieces together. It would be all one piece and stronger too.
jeep_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:39 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

as said many times, its freaking sweet. keep up the great work.
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:21 AM   #49
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_boy02
Outcast - Looks fricken awsome! I think you should put in a full roll cage. One thing I would do is weld all the floor pieces together. It would be all one piece and stronger too.
It will be getting a full cage as soon as work stops getting in the way!

To weld the floor I would have to TIG weld it and any form of welding is far beyond my capabilities...
Old 04-10-2005, 12:17 AM   #50
Pebble Pounder

Well here is its first full cage. I am not sure if I like it or not. But I can always make another one

Old 04-10-2005, 12:57 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

it still strikes me the with the amount of detail you hand work for your rigs!
looks good to me. but i haven't seen many 1:1's with their tps off.
ronbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 03:25 PM   #52
RCC Addict

that looks awsome and great work to and are going to paint the cage to mach the body.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:48 AM   #53
Pebble Pounder

I decided to modify this cage and see where it would get before I started a whole new one. It def. looks better now that the door area is smaller. The cross adds something to the cage as well. While making and soldering the cage isn't difficult at all, trying to make it look good sure is! Thank goodness when I am done its going to be painted...

Old 04-12-2005, 12:25 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Excellent work! Once this is done, you should send pics to RC Driver showoffs and win yourself a subscription .
camel_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 09:40 PM   #55
Pebble Pounder

Next small update:

I found a driver! Its none other then lovable Sam, the Hobbit! He was the only semi normal looking charactor that was the right size. If you notice I had to amputate! For a super posable figure you would think he could sit in a car right? WRONG!!! Its the one pose he can't do! So he's been given the proper drugs and then the legs came off. Once some surgery is done on his hips he will be patched back together. Then he should be able to sit in the proper position. I haven't told him yet but his feet are too big! I found a certain doctor who said he can shrink them for the proper fee. (Under the table of course) I don't think Sam will ever forgive me but they need to go and some boots added.

While I was at it I lowered the Cruiser with some larger touring car springs. While its not as impressive as before. The steering link issue is gone. I actually have to get the s-link out of there for a straight one. Which is now parallel to the axle link. The tires don't rub under articulation, tho now the springs fall out everytime I touch it. I am going to at least capture one end. I might use a trick a buddy does on his full size trucks and leave the other end un-captured. And have a cone on the sping mount to allow the spring to slide back into proper position. A couple tests are in order anyways to see which way is best. Anouther positive is the driveshafts no longer to so badly angled. So they should last much longer. The rims are coming off in favor of OFNA rims. They have more offset and actually look like a rim an offroad truck should have. They should be here this week.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCAN0&P=7

With the help of Rikpal I have done some gearing math and right now as it sits its 55.92 in 1st, and 34.73 in 2nd. I am not sure if this will be an acceptable ratio with the 19 turn motor or not. I think I am going to order a couple GD-600's just in case anyways. I may back order a lathe motor as well. I can always use the parts in my next project anyways...

Last edited by outcastrc; 04-18-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:43 PM   #56
RCC Addict

the pics don't work
Old 04-18-2005, 09:48 PM   #57
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpede
the pics don't work
They work fine on both of my computers when I double checked. Try refreshing?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:19 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

still don't work and refreshing dosen't work.
ronbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:25 AM   #59
Pebble Pounder

And a bunch of dremelling later. (Sams going to kill me once the drugs wears off. He lost a lot down you know where) Looks like I need a new cage afterall. I moved the seats up quite a bit to make it look better. Now that I know what I am after I can make proper seat mounts.

Old 04-24-2005, 01:05 AM   #60
Pebble Pounder

I got an email that there were problems bringing my domain name back up. Its been fixed and as soon as it propagates, everything should be fine...

Heres a couple pictures of Sam after his foot surgery: (I know, I know, you can't see them yet!! )

Sam's done enough posing, and is itching to get back to the shop for more fabricating.