Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New Build (step by step) By A Newbie To Crawling!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation New Build-Up -98% DONE!-(step by step) By A Newbie To Crawling!

We'll...I have been putting off the start-up of this thread for a long time, but really its not that bad and I hope I make this a long lasting thread for everyone to follow and enjoy! So help me out and let's do this!!
I have been into hobby grade RC for 2 or 3 years now, and own a Savage 25. The first time I ever saw a crawler, I knew I wanted to build one at some point. FINALLY it's here! that is that I am building a crawler at last!

I'm definatly not new to RC forums, that for sure... therefor I know HOW TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!! and not even kidding; I estimate I have 2 mabey 3 hours or more of searchig this site! This place is sweet. I definatly have to give it up for you guys, everything I know about rc crawling is from right HERE!

Let's get to the point. Here is how I'm going to start it off:

Base: TLT-1 Rockbuster Kit

Tranny: STOCK! for now
Chassis: put new holes for shock mounts in chassis,Traxxas ball ends to build homemade turnbuckles, reposition stock suspention, traxxas drive shafts(dogbone),
Wheels:2.2 axial rockster beadlocks and imex g-hawg tires

Others: will update

I have lots of pages saved on my favorites, and will be using them non-stop for build help also! As of right now, all the parts will be coming from my excellent LHS. Nothing is totally official or anything, but thats what i'll start with. What I want to do is build something decent, and then once I have something going, modify it from there. That way I have a half decent base to start from, make sence?

Let me know what your thinking, I take nothing personal. ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED. You guys rock!

Last edited by Abednego; 08-29-2007 at 11:02 PM. Reason: updated
Abednego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
I lost my vendor privileges

i really think

hurry up and glad to see you are going to be an addict also with the rest of us.

and also you should help support your RCC vendors. it is cheaper.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

no doubt, There WILL be pics, the reason there isnt yet is because I havn't bought anything yet to take pic of. Also correct me if I am wrong, but alot of build up threads on here just show the truck finished. I didn't say all of the threads are, but this one anyways is NOT like that, I will be posting pics and updates along the way, this definatly is NOT a week long thread and then its done! Also if my LHS can't get certain parts in for some reason, I will be getting those parts of here, also if I can show them where I can get it cheaper, they'll match it, unless its to the point where they lose money, obviously. Why not support my lhs too, OR both!

Last edited by Abednego; 06-06-2007 at 11:50 AM. Reason: added: "also if..."
Old 06-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

finally going to make this thread worth it now! here is the start of the pics:

wish me luck!
Old 06-16-2007, 07:04 AM   #5

good luck
kwellst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Hmmmm....

Sort of a slow start...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

hey give the brother a break and by brother i mean fellow rc enthusiast!!, so do some work and post a ton of pics!
Turblankas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

haha thanks, i did say it would be slow and i have no rush because i dont have a esc and a stronger servo yet lol. heres more:

not mine, but what i did with mine^

filled with hot glue

if u have any questions on whatever pics just ask, i didnt feel the need to explain them all lol

Last edited by Abednego; 06-17-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:23 PM   #9

about time.lol j/k good start. dont need glue with the 3rd gear locking method.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

lol......oh well, the glue will let it move around less/make it more bullet proof if theres such thing lol its all good
Old 06-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #11
RCC Addict

The axle is going to shift side to side with the 4 link like that you need to take and use 1 of the upper link mounts and mount it in the center of the servo mount and run both of the links off of that up to the chassis but at the chassis you need to have the links going rite up against the chassis to make a triangle.The lowers you need to put the suspension stays where they go down lower on the axle
Gatekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:14 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

acually there is less then a cm of swaying, it's really stiff, and when the shocks are mounted it will be even better. we'll see how it works out anyways. on the second pic under the body mount, there is a black dot right behind the one hole. i will be drilling a hole there and on the other side to mount the shocks there on the chassis and the other end on the double mount on the axle. it would be easier to mount using the hole already there, but that little difference means weither my driveshaft comes out or not when the axle is suspended up close to the chassis.

how i connect the front axle is a whole different story, still have to figure it out.

Last edited by Abednego; 06-18-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I agree with Gatekeeper... That link setup is gonna sway on ya... 1cm now may not sound like much, but that 1cm will multiply on the rocks... 1cm in this scale is about 10cm on a full sized.. And 10cm sway on a fullsized is more than enuff to cause serious issues with going in a straight line for one...

My upper link mount on my Clod rolls back and forth as it's the old style RC Guy upper mount... It only sways about 2cm... But... That's more than enuff to hurt me in some places, and did at a comp last w/e...

Triangulating the upper links will keep the axles located in the center and could also help the torque twist to an extent..

IMHO, if yer gonna run like that, you should run a panhard bar, too, to keep the axles in line and from swinging back n forth underneath... You want to have 0 side to side movement... ANY movement will cause balance issues, turning when you want to go straight or vice versa, and many other things you don't want to happen in a crawler...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

i hope i dont sound stuborn here. you guys know what ur talking about i know that, but the back axle i am going to leave like that and try it. im deff. not doing competitions lol but that doesnt mean much either. the front links will be different, with both top links going to the same center bracket on the axle behind the servo. i will see how it goes and adjust it after i try it out. thanks for the input; keep it coming!!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Nice start, my buddy did the same thing as you with your links, when he was building his Clod. After he got it all together and took it for a test crawl, he noticed what the other 2 guys on here are talking about.

Same day he moved them just like how they said above and problem fixed

Good Luck
slowcrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

thats about it until i get my esc, strong servo, and such. i can already picture myself moving the links. oh well, i want to atleast try them out eh. thanks guys. how much taller are 2.2 wheels then the stock ones?

Last edited by Abednego; 07-03-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

hey buddy nice crawler so far "if you dream you will build it" lol serious
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:02 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Moab 2.2s are about 5" tall...just measured my TLT tires and they are about 3.75" tall.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

thanks nate. i will have my electronics very soon, its taking forever!
Old 07-15-2007, 04:15 PM   #20

still watching. looking good.i 3rd the top links.