Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: J2-TT Comp Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default J2-TT Comp Rig

Here is my second build. A J2-TT comp rig. I already have a SW2 but my dad allowed me to turn my stock tlt into a crawler, and i chose the J2-TT. I don't have a lot done because i just got the parts an hour ago. I do have the axles done though. This should be a quick build assuming i dont run out of parts. Here are the specs

J2-TT chassis
Stampede tranny
tlt axles
Moab tires
Rustler wheels
Traxxas TQ3 radio equipment
Hitec 645MG servo
Integy 55 lathe motor
Duratrax Sprint ESC
HPI Chevy Silverado body

And thanks a ton to Halfcab for the ESC.

Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
RCC Addict

he just wants to steal your other crawler from you...what ya your plans for a body?
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I dont know what paint job i am going to do next but i want to kick it up a bit from my others. I am still looking around for designs but i want it to be kinda bright and stand out a little. Like a silver and red flames or something.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Rocks? View Post
he just wants to steal your other crawler from you...what ya your plans for a body?
I do believe he stated HPI Silverado body

can't wait to see it done

you need to steal some shocks off one of your other trucks or get some t/e-maxx shocks somewhere, sorry I don't have any of those laying around

Last edited by halfcab; 06-14-2007 at 01:49 PM.
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcab View Post
I do believe he stated HPI Silverado body

can't wait to see it done
ohhh DUHHH sorry bout that
Old 06-14-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcab View Post
you need to steal some shocks off one of your other trucks or get some t/e-maxx shocks somewhere, sorry I don't have any of those laying around
I already did. I took them off my tmaxx. I will probably need some new springs though. the red ones are stiff.

And im already out of parts. I need those little bushings in the tranny. Or bearings but bushings are cheaper and i dont have much money.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal crawler View Post
I already did. I took them off my tmaxx. I will probably need some new springs though. the red ones are stiff.

And im already out of parts. I need those little bushings in the tranny. Or bearings but bushings are cheaper and i dont have much money.
springs are only $2.50-3.50 a pair
Old 06-14-2007, 03:09 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Looks like a good start. Man your turning out the turcks lately. How u get all that money for being my age (15)? Any way looks saweet.
west virginia krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I bought the bruiser and i have to pay for that. I get a lot of money for my birthday though. My grandpa takes how ever old i am turning and puts a 0 on the end and gives me that much money. But i paid for the tlt a while ago and since my dad thinks it is a good hobby and that im not doing drugs or anything bad that he said he would pay for the stuff to turn it into a crawler. It's going to be partly his though. When we go to comps and gtg's he will either be driving this or my jeep. Oh and i'm starting to work for my dad at his business. And i could have either gotten this or a wk, but i chose this since partly i already have the tlt, and that with about the same amount of money i can get a more capable tlt crawler, or a wk. Also i locked the planetary diff in the tranny with jb weld.

Last edited by Norcal crawler; 06-14-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Cool, glad to see more j2s being built... Do yourself a favor and bend your lower links before you even build the truck. Having the high clearance links on mine has significantly improved its ability. Also i run 50wt oil in the fronts with associated green springs on them. And 50 in the right and 80 in the left rear with associated blue springs on them.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I was going to make my own high clearance links this time. Thanks for the tips on the shock weight to. Can you measure the length of your links for me? I dont' know how long they should be. I will find out when i get the chassis together though. But it would save me some time. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Hey, your build is looking similar to what mine should. Did your chassis come with links or do you have to make them, or is it the difference between buying the expensive chassis kit to the cheaper one on RCP? Thanks.
NoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I dont knwo if you mean the link mounts or links. I am going to make my own bent links but you can buy some traxxas ones. Here is a build up that says what links he recommends.

http://reignrc.com/downloads/J2-TTBuildDocument.pdf

I dont know exactly what you mean on the second part about the price difference. But the more expensive one comes with link mounts and i just bought that one.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:55 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
I dont knwo if you mean the link mounts or links. I am going to make my own bent links but you can buy some traxxas ones. Here is a build up that says what links he recommends.

http://reignrc.com/downloads/J2-TTBuildDocument.pdf
the length is in the build sheet you posted, bend the link-put the ball end on the short side then cut the long end so it is the right length eye to eye, bent or straight they need the same eye to eye distance, don't measure the link material length only eye to eye, I hope that makes sense
Old 06-14-2007, 08:58 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Yes it does. I didn't look through that whole thing good enough to find it though. Thanks for pointing it out.

Edit: Got my motor in today also. I need some bearings/bushings for the tranny and the input shaft for the tranny too before i can go any more. I dont know when i will have it because the hobby shop is out of the shaft and it is an hour away from me so i can't go any time i want.

Last edited by Norcal crawler; 06-14-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

i just used the traxxas links i just bent them. i took all 4 of them and bolted the ends all together and bent them all at once. put them in a vice if youre gonna do it. i tried just bending them over the corner of the brick walls in my house and it took me about 25min to get it right.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:33 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yes it does. I didn't look through that whole thing good enough to find it though. Thanks for pointing it out.

Edit: Got my motor in today also. I need some bearings/bushings for the tranny and the input shaft for the tranny too before i can go any more. I dont know when i will have it because the hobby shop is out of the shaft and it is an hour away from me so i can't go any time i want.
tower ships.....you could probably have them on saturday if you order tonight

Last edited by halfcab; 06-14-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:49 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Ok, i'll check out them real quick. and dieselfuel, if you just used the traxxas ones on the build document, wouldnt it make the wb shorter than 12.5"? Or did you use different traxxas ones?

I ordered the stuff i needed from Tower. It said that it will be here Tuesday earliest. But that is probably sooner than the lhs would have them in.

Last edited by Norcal crawler; 06-14-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I got my body and wheels from towerhobbies today. i dont know if i should narrow the wheels or not. I dont have wideners and the width would be really narrow. the moabs are even more narrow than the mashers on my jeep and i cant go on certain obstacles because the width. with the moabs, it would be really narrow. And i need suggestions on a paint scheme. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Edit: the wheels arent glued to the tires yet so thats why i am wondering if i should narrow them.

Last edited by Norcal crawler; 06-15-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #20
RCC Addict

narrow them you will not regret it...i tun my pede wheels at about 1"- 1 1/2"