Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Mudhen 2.2 (tuber)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #1

Default Mudhen 2.2 (tuber)

A few years ago, before this site was created, I built an extensively modified TXT crawler named Mudhen. Some of you may have seen it on the Aussie 4X4 forum back then. There's been very little crawling activity here in New Hampshire, and my primary interest is model sailboats, so she's been mostly a shelf queen. I liked the TXT because I could get a tuber-like look with the aluminum bits and not have to learn brazing...which seemed a bit daunting.

Recently, a local hobby shop held a swap meet and show where I met a couple of crawlers and saw my first 2.2. A recent business trip to Beaverton, OR left me with a free afternoon before flying home, so I spent some enjoyable hours at one of my favorite places.....Tammie's Hobbies.

(Honey, the good news is I spent the afternoon at the hobby shop instead of the bar. The bad news is, the bar tab would have been cheaper!)

With some help and encouragement from the friendly staff, I got enough stuff to get me started on a 2.2 crawler. This time I was determined to braze up a tuber.

I used 1/8" solid wire for the main tubes because I wanted a less beefy look to the frame than 3/16" brake line.

There's still work to be done, but it's shaping up well enough to show it to you. I miscalculated a bit on the front shock mounts and will have to move them further inboard. I'll also add some additional shock mount locations.

I don't know how to get authorized to attach pics, but there's 4 of them in this bucket:

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...henk27/Trucks/

All suggestions are welcome.
Mudhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

If you have a specific URL for each pic all you do is put
[img]in front of the URL and [/img] at the end.
Redneck Crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default like this...

noob@this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default and this...

That's a fine start, now get it finished and post some action shots :-P

NooB
noob@this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

those are some sweet servo/4-link plates!
srfrkyle1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #6

Thanks for the help, Noob. It'll be a while before she's done....gotta work for a living....but now I know how to post the action pics when the time comes.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #7

Glad you like 'em srfrkyle, but it's just hardware stuff and a little work. A couple pieces of 1/16" aluminum angle and a spacer in between and you can have the same!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Great Start. Where are you going to mount the Servo at?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #9

Thanks run2jeepn, the servo will be mounted vertically on the driver side of the front axle. I'll fab the mount from that aluminum angle stock. The back of the servo will just clear the front of the frame and the shock.

BTW...I like your site.

Last edited by Mudhen; 06-03-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #10
I lost my vendor privileges

need a napkin to wipe off your nose?^^^^^^^^^^ lol

nice build.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:21 AM   #11

I guess so, clodstall ........but I'm an old guy from a time when being polite or complimentary wasn't considered brown-nosing.

BTW....thanks for the compliment
Old 06-04-2007, 06:43 AM   #12
I lost my vendor privileges

im an older guy also. just messing with ya. couldnt resist.he does have some great products.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen View Post
A few years ago, before this site was created, I built an extensively modified TXT crawler named Mudhen. Some of you may have seen it on the Aussie 4X4 forum back then. There's been very little crawling activity here in New Hampshire, and my primary interest is model sailboats, so she's been mostly a shelf queen. I liked the TXT because I could get a tuber-like look with the aluminum bits and not have to learn brazing...which seemed a bit daunting.

Recently, a local hobby shop held a swap meet and show where I met a couple of crawlers and saw my first 2.2. A recent business trip to Beaverton, OR left me with a free afternoon before flying home, so I spent some enjoyable hours at one of my favorite places.....Tammie's Hobbies.

(Honey, the good news is I spent the afternoon at the hobby shop instead of the bar. The bad news is, the bar tab would have been cheaper!)

With some help and encouragement from the friendly staff, I got enough stuff to get me started on a 2.2 crawler. This time I was determined to braze up a tuber.

I used 1/8" solid wire for the main tubes because I wanted a less beefy look to the frame than 3/16" brake line.

There's still work to be done, but it's shaping up well enough to show it to you. I miscalculated a bit on the front shock mounts and will have to move them further inboard. I'll also add some additional shock mount locations.

I don't know how to get authorized to attach pics, but there's 4 of them in this bucket:

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...henk27/Trucks/

All suggestions are welcome.
that' was more than a few years ago! Good to see you back.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #14

I guess it was kinda the early days, Dirk....it's great to see how crawling has become almost mainstream. Great products available now that we could only dream about back then. I'm having fun with this 2.2 thing and the tuber frame. Now if I can just figure out how to narrow those mashers......
Old 06-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #15

Made some progress, so here's an update.

The links are done and where I want them now, and I corrected the shock mount locations, made the drive shafts, and most of the steering linkage. Fabbed a servo mount....I have a 645 for steering, but this one was handy for mockup.

I'm pretty happy with how it's looking now, but if any of you see any problems it would be helpful to hear about them now....I hate having to re-braze stuff after I've painted the frame!

p.s. Thanks Redneck, for showing me how to post the pics.

Last edited by Mudhen; 06-17-2007 at 01:21 PM.