Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: first crawler/mudder/bahser truk build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Exclamation first crawler/mudder/bahser truk build!

hey guys! well ive been studying the crawler scene for a long time now and i think im ready to start building. i want to build a mud truck.i want to use tlt axles, pede tranny, pede rims, masher 2000 tires, custom chassis, pro-line chevy blazer body( i will prob build a roll cage and add sum scale stuff). the only thing im undesided on is the motor size, esc, and how to make my chassis. for the chassis i want to go for more of a scale look than a crawler, cuz this is just gunna be my mudder/basher truk. the esc does not have to be water proof, bcuz i will put my reciever and esc in a waterproof box. and i want a motor that is good in mud and snow and offroad. and today i went to my lhs i bought a stampede roller! yeeha! it came wit tranny, servo, turnbuckles, a body, shocks, a lot of screws and a bunch of spares for my other pede and for a great price of 50$. so that means that the only things i need are axles, esc, motor, reciever and transmitter, and frame(the most expensive stuff ).plz help!!!! -Wes
johndeerekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

sweet, for a mudder you will want a fast motor with a little bit of meat for trails. i vote 35t and bend up your chassis yourself. its much more gratifying than buying one i think. you can do all kinds of stuff for a chassis which could probably perform well. for the low price of the lrp esc, and its already whaterproof why not right?
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
RCC Addict

yeah, if you want a really scale look, start with 1/2" square tubing, bend it to how you want the frame to look, drill any holes in it you want, and then cut it down the middle. and there you go, 2 matching frame rails....
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:02 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

well i got my mashers, so thats another thing taken care of well for the chassis i am going to make almost identical to the MFM Racing Scale Chassis. orrr should i buy some revo shafts and hook em up to the axles and make the frame according to that? any other ideas for the frame? i want the shocks standing straight up for the scale effect. plz help me! -Wes
Old 06-16-2007, 06:05 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

also i need to know what motor is the best for a mudder? i need to know this asap so i can get the motor. -Wes
Old 06-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

like posted above. go with a 35t motor
mxer611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:46 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Exclamation

okay so i should go with the 35t motor? will it be ables do handle the mud? -Wes
Old 06-16-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Yeah that willl probably be your best bet because it's got a nice balance of speed and torque and it should be good for the mud as long as you maintain it!
theshimonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

yep i will maintain it . okay so i gunna get the 35t motor. should i get lathe? or what motor type should i get?(eg:team orion, lathe....) -Wes
Old 06-16-2007, 11:03 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

okay well i think im gunna get a integy 35t lathe motor. good idea? -Wes
Old 06-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeerekid View Post
okay well i think im gunna get a integy 35t lathe motor. good idea? -Wes
YES.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

okay so i need a 35t lathe motor, lrp quantum reverse esc and the tlt axles. thx guys!!!!!!!!!!! -Wes
Old 06-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

okay guys im probably getting the axles soon so i need to know wut im gunna need. i was wondering what rod ends to get for the 4link set up. what shocks should i get that are cheap? anything else im gunna need? -Wes
Old 06-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

wes, the stickies at the top of this forum are a wealth of info for the first build!

they will cover what you can use.

really, just reading on some of the other builds gives you great ideas and is helping me as I slowly piece mine together.
gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:05 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

okay well i looked around a bit and found that on orcrc they used 6/32 threaded rod, 3/16 Aluminum or Brass tubing, and Traxxas ball ends. so now i got that covered i am wondering about the tires. i was wondering what tires i should use that are the best all terrain tires. they have to be good on grass,dirt,mud,water,rocks. which are better,2.2 all-t's-http://imexrc.com/detail.aspx?ID=727,2.2 swamp dawgs-http://imexrc.com/detail.aspx?ID=726, or the 2.2 h square tires-http://imexrc.com/detail.aspx?ID=731 ? i am goin towards the all-t's cuz there big, but i dont know if there really good all-terrain tires. plz help. -Wes
Old 06-20-2007, 07:13 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

the masher2000 are a great all around tire. plus you will have much better luck getting those than the all t's. they are very hard to find right now as everybody is out of stock
xjwalt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:40 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I run a 35t with a pede tranny, stock tlt spur, and 16t pinion. With this set up I don't get any stall in the rocks, but it still leaves me wanting a litttle more speed in the mud. A change of gearing might help, but if you find yourself doing more mud then rocks you can always try and find one of those stock silver can motors that a lot of ppl throw out.
Defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

okay so im gunna stick with the mashers(since i already have them) and then maybe later on i can get come all-t's. what should a gear my truck at? i need something that will make it good in the mud. what do you mean a silver can? the ones that are out of tamiya trucks and stuff like that? -Wes
Old 06-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

if you are pretty much just going to be in the mud then a 27t motor might be what you are looking for. like a stock emaxx motor. i got a 19t in my mudder and it doesnt have quite enough torque, i got a 55t but im bout to unwind it to a 30 i think and try that out.
also stock t/e-maxx shocks are cheap and easy to find. i got a set of 4 off ebay lik about 15 bucks shipped
tjarr001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:22 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

well i think im gunna stick with the 35t motor cuz i might go crawlin a little. and ya i think i will just buy some cheap shocks like the e or tmaxx. is a 35t motor good in the mud and on the rocks? ( i will prob only go crawling once in a while). -Wes