Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project: TINY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #21
Im Brandon

That looks sick, I love how you used the HPI Bug motor

Cant wait to have battle of the norcal tubers. If only we could get the rest of team Shake & Bake to join

Would it be crazy to think that this might be done in time for folsom?
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Talking

This thing looks great
Any updates?
Shane
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:17 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Brandon - That would be totally sweet to have an all tube battle on the rocks. Maybe I can get my old Cobra chassis running better than it did at the retro comp and have 2 running vehicles. Now wouldn't THAT be a first for me. Yeah, like that is going to happen

I am really trying to get it done for Folsom. That would be a great place to devirginize it.

Shane - I don't have any real updates. I have a couple of mock up photos. These two are crappy photos again, but in these I am sizing up what it will look like with Moab tires instead of the the Geos that I plan on making for it.

Name:  tiny007.jpg
Views: 2619
Size:  67.3 KB

Also, you can see my prototype axle that I will be using. What moon buggy would be complete without an offset housing axle. I have one more piece to machine up and another bracket to make and I should be able to bolt it up to the chassis. You can see the panhard bar as well. The width is still a little wide for my liking, so I will be playing with it a little bit. The other disappointment is how HUGE the TLT housing is. I still haven't machined up my own housing, so the TLT one will have to do.

Real TINY rear axle.
Name:  tiny008.jpg
Views: 2615
Size:  80.6 KB

My attempt at an offset axle to match Low profile and rock friendly.
Name:  tiny006.jpg
Views: 2625
Size:  83.0 KB

-Sam
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:42 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

SAM thats crazy man you are making me want to build a tuber!!!

but i need to wait on that haha i have to much at one time as it is
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:11 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Talking

That is wicked
Cant wait to see it done
Shane
Old 06-30-2007, 07:48 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Nice work!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:51 AM   #27
TEAM MODERATOR

Thats SICK!! You definitely gotta stick with the moabs,looks allot better with the proportions. Might be a touch wide but glue and a sharp Xacto will fix that. I'm interested to see how your driveshafts are gonna be routed. I've had the idea about building a set of Twin axles with the diff nearly inside the wheel on my super for quite some time now. Almost tried it on my Hustler build but the driveshafts would of been really tricky.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:21 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
I'm interested to see how your driveshafts are gonna be routed. I've had the idea about building a set of Twin axles with the diff nearly inside the wheel on my super for quite some time now. Almost tried it on my Hustler build but the driveshafts would of been really tricky.

you could use a WK tranny on its side with the stock motor mount.that makes the output shaft to the far right of the frame.here ill post a pic.

see how the tranny is mounted sideways with the stock motor plate this woul give you god d-shaft angles and still keep the low cog we all desire. hope this could help.

and i love your build!
nitromtcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:02 AM   #29

Your Tiny looks great.

I wouldn't have the guts or talent to tackle the axle mods that you are doing, but I'd like to build the tube frame (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.) The pics you've posted will give me a good start. Could you give me a source for other useful pics of the original?

Thx.
Mudhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #30
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkySam View Post

My attempt at an offset axle to match Low profile and rock friendly.
Attachment 37435

-Sam
Perfect
Old 07-02-2007, 05:29 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromtcrawler View Post
you could use a WK tranny on its side with the stock motor mount.that makes the output shaft to the far right of the frame.here ill post a pic.

see how the tranny is mounted sideways with the stock motor plate this woul give you god d-shaft angles and still keep the low cog we all desire. hope this could help.

and i love your build!
Thanks for using pics of my tuber.
Wild trial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:09 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Wild trial - Great looking rig.

Nluvwithxlr8ing - Thanks dude. Hopefully it works . I also might need your painting skills on the motor.

Mudhen - Other than the photos Jason gave me (the one above with the dimensions), the rest I found on the web. Use these key words:
Jon Bundrant
Jason Scherer
Tiny
Nelson & Nelson Racing
Larry Full Pull McRae
Those are the main words I used and got what I needed. FYI, Larry was the spotter for Jon back in the day. He also drove it a few times which might also yield you a few good returns. He also did an awesome 40 foot rock wall broady ride sideways across the top only to come down on the top of the cage which held . He hurt his arm pretty good, but kept going. Larry was fun to watch drive

Nitromtcrawler - Thanks for the optional idea. Never actually saw one of those before. I have the LOSI XXX which should get me what I need with both front and rear dig. (also making a dig system too which I didn't mention earlier).

Raptorman57 - Driveshaft routing "shouldn't" be a problem, but we shall see. The offset to the side is still too far for me so it will be tucked in a little. Even with it angled out as far as it is, I shouldn't have a problem with the shaft.

Thanks again to everyone for the compliments. I am not known for clean work, so this project is a stretch for me.

I just got some more photos of the rig from this weekends comp at Donner. So I have a few more detail photos to work from. The depressing part is how certain details are different from what I saw in the photos vs. the 1:1. Subtle things, but it would be nice to do as many little touches as possible.

-Sam
Old 07-03-2007, 08:11 AM   #33
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkySam View Post

Nluvwithxlr8ing - Thanks dude. Hopefully it works . I also might need your painting skills on the motor.

All chrome or go home

If you are building it im sure it will work. Once I saw your custom rear axle my head start spinning with all the possible ideas with ways you might be finishing it. Its going to be sweet!! Loads of clearance too huh

Cant wait to see your dig setup. I know you explained it to me once but at the time it was over my head lol
Old 07-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

looking really good keep up the good work.
any updates
al3x_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Default nice

nice tiny, i want to build a tuber for my next project
laxjj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Looks awesome Sam, It's coming together very nicely. Missed ya on wednsday that spot was awesome. I like it more than the Bean, but it's 45 minutes closer so I'm biased.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:31 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Talking

Any updates on this wicked rig?
Shane
Old 07-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

id like to know more on the axle?
hijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:13 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Sorry guys, not much as far as updates at this point and I have only taken pics with my pocket camera. I will be sure to have the good camera out for when I am finished with it. Here is what I have for now:

Here is what I have managed to squeeze in so far. Mostly just puting stuff in place and seeing if it will fit. I have behind the axle steering with the servo tucking up into the chassis at ride height. I am using a panhard front with 3 other links helping in locating the axle similar to that of the real TINY. Unfortunately due to the servo, I had to move the panhard further forward than how it is on the real rig. Still look ok I guess.

I haven't touched the rear axle yet. I do have a 9 cell AAA battery on order to set down into the belly of the chassis from Cheap Battery packs. We will see if it has enough oomph.

I have a Mamba 25 coming my way courtesy of RCP. I ran the Mamba 25 before during a comp and was just utterly disappointed. Noisy, twitchy, etc. I did only have a 7 cell though, but my rig was only 5 pounds & geared all the way down as far as it could go. So I am crossing my fingers that it will at least trail ride ok. I think the brushless will still be too twitchy for me, but time will tell. I want to run the Mamba 25 / Revolver 2 for the size of them. Ultra small and capable enough of getting the rig going which is all I am looking for at this time. I will be able to tuck the controller under something to hide it (hopefully).

Here is are a quick few shots. This is with the front in with temporary links.

Name:  tiny009.jpg
Views: 2116
Size:  78.6 KB

Name:  tiny010.jpg
Views: 2078
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  tiny011.jpg
Views: 2075
Size:  66.5 KB

-Sam
Old 07-09-2007, 01:23 AM   #40
Oppan Gangnam Style

Looking good there token! Bring it to work tomorrow if you can so I can check it out.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote