Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project: TINY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 09:13 AM   #61
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
Looks great Sam
Very scale looking and also looks like it will do very well
Is the rod in the secod picture the back axle tube or the axle?
Shane
Shane - That is actually the axle tube . So I have a 5mm axle shaft and the tube is just a hair larger on the ID. Originally I was just going to lube the inside of the tube and have that as the friction support for the whole axle. However, I may just machine a pillow block for the very end that will support it via a bearing just from a replacement aspect. However, I have had bronze bushings in most of my axles for a long time and they haven't worn, so for the loads that it sees it may or may not be necessary. Who knows if this axle will work in the end. Anything I make is a crap shoot.

Thanks for f'ing sick compliment Smokin

-Sam
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

OMFG That thing looks like a piece of art, I give it two
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:06 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

SlinkySam,

Your TINY project is exquisitely unique not only in the fact that it replicates a historic 1:1 crawler with some unique engineering (rear axle) but your TINY also is accomplishing a fine scale element as well.

Sam, I really look forward to your future posts and finally TINY's completion. This is truly one of the most interesting build threads currently running.

Stormin'
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:04 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

I love this build! Great choice, this could be in the comp,scale,or just way to COOL section and it would fit right in.

-H3
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:18 PM   #65
MODERATOR™

If there was a Way Too Cool Forum, this would be stuck at the top.

Awesome Sam.

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:49 PM   #66
RCC Addict

WOW... thanks for the motivational responses . The compliments are above and beyond what I would give it... haha. I think I need to keep the lights down, the camera far away and the pictures blurry so I don't wreck anyone's perception of the build. Actually, for anyone who knows me and my fab skills .. cough.. duct tape... cough.... zip ties .... cough... this is far advanced above anything else I have done. ANd most important, I am not building it the night before or day of the competition.

On a side note, I was taking a break from my wedding work and looked what tubing I have left to cut, bend, and weld and it appears that I am out of stock. So I had to go buy yet another stick. Tubers aren't cheap as I am finding out.

-Sam
Old 07-31-2007, 03:08 AM   #67
Quarry Creeper

Mmm, how much that rear end are going to flex?
klrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:42 AM   #68
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrp View Post
Mmm, how much that rear end are going to flex?
I agree, he needs to build some scale axle trusses for it

Cant wait to crawl with this thing Sam!
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #69
Pebble Pounder

going well any more updates
al3x_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:32 PM   #70
RCC Addict

Axle trusses?? What is this, the '80s? Who runs axle trusses anymore?

No updates at the moment. I have to take some pictures and clean up some stuff. I have all 4 shocks mock-up mounted. I just got in the proper rims also for the true look, but of course, I am not ultra happy with them due to their rediculous back spacing. It should be an easy fix. I also just got in some more tubing to finish up the rest of the chassis braces.

Unfortunately for the moment, I am putting this one down in order to get my 1:1 rock crawling rig up and running again. Damn rotary engines seem so simple until they don't work. I have a wiring rats nest to rework. yay.

-Sam
Old 08-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkySam View Post
So I didn't get much done between uploads, but I did get to add 5 more tubes. Rule #1, don't forget to turn on the shield gas when MIG welding. Rule #2, verify locations of tube twice before welding. I need to cut one tube out and reposition for sure. Other than that, I have several tubes to go and a lot of clean up grinding to do.

Here is a photo of it with the set, tranny, and bug motor in rough position to give you an idea.

Attachment 37348

Brandon - thanks for the tip. I think I got it tapped ok now. It just wasn't nearly as smooth as I planned it to be.

-Sam
what did you do with the body?i need one
dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #72
Im Brandon

Quote:
Axle trusses?? What is this, the '80s? Who runs axle trusses anymore?

No updates at the moment. I have to take some pictures and clean up some stuff. I have all 4 shocks mock-up mounted. I just got in the proper rims also for the true look, but of course, I am not ultra happy with them due to their rediculous back spacing. It should be an easy fix. I also just got in some more tubing to finish up the rest of the chassis braces.

Unfortunately for the moment, I am putting this one down in order to get my 1:1 rock crawling rig up and running again. Damn rotary engines seem so simple until they don't work. I have a wiring rats nest to rework. yay.

-Sam
Yup sure is the 80's, or wait... O thats right my 1:1 is from the 80's so I guess im stuck there

Good luck on the rotary, god I cant wait to ride in that thing again
Old 08-07-2007, 10:13 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Lightbulb

Quote:
Brandon - That would be totally sweet to have an all tube battle on the rocks. Maybe I can get my old Cobra chassis running better than it did at the retro comp and have 2 running vehicles. Now wouldn't THAT be a first for me. Yeah, like that is going to happen

I am really trying to get it done for Folsom. That would be a great place to devirginize it.

Shane - I don't have any real updates. I have a couple of mock up photos. These two are crappy photos again, but in these I am sizing up what it will look like with Moab tires instead of the the Geos that I plan on making for it.

Attachment 37434

i

Also, you can see my prototype axle that I will be using. What moon buggy would be complete without an offset housing axle. I have one more piece to machine up and another bracket to make and I should be able to bolt it up to the chassis. You can see the panhard bar as well. The width is still a little wide for my liking, so I will be playing with it a little bit. The other disappointment is how HUGE the TLT housing is. I still haven't machined up my own housing, so the TLT one will have to do.

Real TINY rear axle.
Attachment 37436

My attempt at an offset axle to match Low profile and rock friendly.
Attachment 37435

-Sam

i thinkou auta show ushow it works mechanichally
dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:51 AM   #74
Rock Crawler

what an awesome axle design.
balang_479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:28 PM   #75
Im Brandon

I miss my Tiny updates! Help me Sam
Old 08-25-2007, 12:22 AM   #76
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post
I miss my Tiny updates! Help me Sam
Sorry bro. No updates lately. I haven't touched it in a while. Free time is at a premium these days so I spend that on getting my 1:1 rig running again. The thing stopped working one day and I have been disecting it ever since to remedy it. I just finished wiring up the engine compartment tonight. The Rotary is acting finicky.
Name:  14.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  81.4 KB

On project TINY, I have located the rear shocks and front shocks, but I am going to cut the front off to fix the "scale" problem. I am just not happy with the angles that I got out of it. Here is a shot of it with all 4 shocks and posed on the rocks. I think I can have it done by Folsom. I hope anyway.
Name:  tiny020.jpg
Views: 1817
Size:  49.4 KB

-Sam
Old 08-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #77
I wanna be Dave

man Sam, tiny is looking really good. you gonna make it to moab this year? better bring it with you for all to see.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #78
Im Brandon

Good to hear from you Sam! Dean mentioned you were working on the 1:1 a few weeks ago. I hope you get that rotary running strong again! Its an awesome motor
Old 09-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #79
Quarry Creeper

Any updates?
klrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

Thats some nice engineering. Cant wait to see how it performs. Ill wait patiently for some updates.
RivBlueNoma is offline   Reply With Quote