Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project: TINY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2007, 12:55 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

looks great but two things.

1- make a bigger rear axle tube and paint it to match the diff house.

2- Can we get some articulation pics?

-
Stallion1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2007, 01:17 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkySam View Post
Sorry bro. No updates lately. I haven't touched it in a while. Free time is at a premium these days so I spend that on getting my 1:1 rig running again. The thing stopped working one day and I have been disecting it ever since to remedy it. I just finished wiring up the engine compartment tonight. The Rotary is acting finicky.
Attachment 41475
Holly KICK AZZZ BUGGY BATMAN!

Quote:
On project TINY, I have located the rear shocks and front shocks, but I am going to cut the front off to fix the "scale" problem. I am just not happy with the angles that I got out of it. Here is a shot of it with all 4 shocks and posed on the rocks. I think I can have it done by Folsom. I hope anyway.
Attachment 41474

-Sam
Both of them. Any Info on the 1:1?
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

It's looking awesome, Sam If you and Dean want some Mexican food for lunch someday, head on over to the eastside and come see me. It's sooo boring at my store. 2739 Story Rd. near Capitol expwy.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:07 PM   #84
RCC Addict

that axle mod interests me veryyyy much. could i get a little more info like what size tubing and what size bearings and what dogbones are you using.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:26 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan View Post
that axle mod interests me veryyyy much. could i get a little more info like what size tubing and what size bearings and what dogbones are you using.
that rod is the axle i think!?
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:00 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

The rod you see in the pics is the axle tube(housing)
and inside that is the axle.
He answered that question earlier for me
Shane
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #87
RCC Addict

Sorry guys, no real updates as of now. I have bent up some more tubing, but have yet to get more Argon for the tank to weld it all up. I haven't had much time to even look at it really. If I get the chance, this Sunday I will have some touchy feely time on the rig.

One miniscule update though is I am switching to a different seat than what is pictured earlier. The one I found has a little more detail and realism to the seat. It's heavier and a little bigger, but that is ok. It should blend in well.

RCMFMaxxMan, Rockmuncher - Yup, you are correct Mr. Muncher. I wanted the axle tube as small in diameter as possible. I run a 5mm axle shaft with an I.D. slightly bigger than that. Yes the tube will rub on the axle shaft. Will it be a problem? Maybe. I do plan on lubing it a bit so that it minimizes wear of course, but the full load of the axle will be on the outer ends which will have bearings of course.

Remember though, this is my prototype just to see if it works. My preference is to machine up my own later on which will have a much smaller ring gear to increase ground clearance again. The TLT-1 housings are just enormous for what they could be.

rckjeep - Sounds like a plan. We would have to do it on a REALLY slow day to get a long enough lunch.

Quote:
Stallion1967
looks great but two things.

1- make a bigger rear axle tube and paint it to match the diff house.

2- Can we get some articulation pics?
1) It will be black, but I won't make the tube bigger. Defeats the purpose of ground clearance don't you think?

2) Not much articulation to take a photo of. I am limited to the travel of the TLT shocks, so with 1 inch of vertical stroke, we are looking at maybe 2 to 2.5"s of travel right now? Maybe.

LIKES2CRAWL - Thanks for the compliments. Here is old outdated info on the 1:1. Current look of the rig has blue panels.
http://www.luciexyz.com/4x4/Slinky2/Slinky2.htm

RivBlueNoma - Thanks for the patience. We are going to need it on this one.

-Sam
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:16 AM   #88
RCC Addict

ok i went back and read and i understand better now. still a couple questions. is that tube steel or aluminum? and two you still don't mention about the shafts... did you make them yourself and if so how are they mating with the diff did you spline them yourself too???
Old 09-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #89
Pebble Pounder

Thats some outside the box thinking, nice rig!
tjscrogins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:25 AM   #90

wow very hard for me for doing . I Like your idea so much But i can't
olelemon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:00 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Ok, here's an update. I had some time to play a little. I bent some new front hoops and some other tubes. I have tacked them in place and only have maybe 5 tubes to go before I say enough on the chassis. Maybe 3 . I also have 1 tube to cut out due to it not being quite right. In all honesty, this thing turned out a little distorted for what I was hoping for and for how long I am taking. Not happy there, but it will be ok to the blind and visually challenged

After the final tubes are installed I will do the clean up of the chassis and make panels which is what you see here. These are simplified paper cutouts of what I will be cutting them out to. Where there are clear panels on the real deal, I will use clear panels as well.

Nluvwthgoats (or was that xlerating? ) is helping by quickly painting up the bug motor for me. Nothing special since there isn't much detail in the motor anyway, but he is always helping out. So it is MUCH appreciated.

Once that is done, I can finish up the rear axle detail. For those wondering, the axle housing is just 3 machined blocks and 1 tube mated to the stock TLT housing. The tube is 1/4" I believe?? It has been a while. The axle shaft inside the tube is 5mm with just barely any clearance between the I.D. and O.D. The tube is press fit and Loctited in place. Will it hold? Maybe. The ring gear hasn't been mated to the axle yet which is what is next on the list. I haven't given too much thought to the "best" way to do it, but most likely it will be a block welded to the shaft then pinned to the housing. Something along those lines.

I also have a winch that will go under the front seat for suspension control. It sort of looks like a Warn 9500 series type winch. It definitely isn't as strong as a servo type, but it is much more compact. Right now I am using it to suck down the tail end of my Jeep

Tires.... yeah the Rock Lizards aren't quite right are they. I was hoping to have a set of the Losi's instead due to being smaller in height and a little more traction. However, RC4WD is coming out with the BFG Krawler look alike Of course I will have to go with that tire (if it looks good and works too .)

That is all for now. 4 weeks till the Folsom event. Time is ticking.....

-Sam

P.S. Does anyone have a steering wheel that they don't need? I need one for the this project. I want to tap off the reverse mounted steering servo and have it actually turn the steering wheel. I know, goofy, but I thought it would be cool to see.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2007, 12:22 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

wow i haven't seen this yet, thats an awesome job you're doing man! very creative work on the rear end!
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:45 AM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Looking good man cant wait to see it finished. Ive felt like a chick watching her favorite teen drama ever since you started this build.

Patiently waiting for the next episode(update).
Erik
aggressivellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #94
Im Brandon

Looks good Sam! Cant wait for Folsom I am happy to get this motor done so fast for you... As soon as I get my airbrush back I have a lot of painting to do for my buddies. Its getting cleaned so I can make sure the paint comes out perfect for you. I still need to find some of the motor decals for ya though...
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:23 AM   #95
Rock Crawler

Looks great sam! BTW you're tyre isn't mounted properly
theshimonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:30 PM   #96
RCC Addict

theshimonator - Grrr... I thought no one would notice

Nluvwithxlr8ing - Take your time bro. No rush on this one. I have put on an average of 1 tube per week. This project is a slow one for sure.

aggressivellc - I too am just like you when it comes to people's projects. I can't wait to see them come to life and work. It's like an addictive drug or something. Glad I can be a your dealer this afternoon.

dieselfuel - Thanks man. It's a fun project. I can't wait to get it running.

-Sam
Old 10-01-2007, 11:32 PM   #97
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post
Looks good Sam! Cant wait for Folsom I am happy to get this motor done so fast for you... As soon as I get my airbrush back I have a lot of painting to do for my buddies. Its getting cleaned so I can make sure the paint comes out perfect for you. I still need to find some of the motor decals for ya though...

"getting cleaned".... I used that stall tactic before too.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #98
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
"getting cleaned".... I used that stall tactic before too.
A$$ It is getting cleaned ask drumbeater its at his paint shop now. Although there is a delay on me getting over there to pick it up
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #99
RCC Addict

so whos going to be the pilot? batman? robin? i mean if you have the seat and the steering wheel you can't just have it empty in there.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
If there was a Way Too Cool Forum, this would be stuck at the top.

Awesome Sam.

Very nice and unique rear axle setup.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote