Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project: TINY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 06:44 AM   #141
I wanna be Dave

Sam how does the left rear axle link mount stay put? Is their a bearing or is it just friction fit?
OH and wheres the outdoor video???? ... ... Still the undisputed tuber champ.......
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2007, 08:08 AM   #142
RCC Addict

RCMFMaxxMan - Yeah, I am just giggling like a little girl over here waiting to get those tires. So far they look to be very promising with the 1.9 size since they are 4.25". While I will lose ground clearance, it will be much better than the 5.5" version of the tires.

young_version - You heard correct. It has a 13b rotary with an RX-7 tranny right behind it as well. I don't get to take it out much, but I finally got to go up to the Sierras a couple weeks ago and hit up Fordyce creek trail. While there was no snow, on the first 2 days we dipped into the 20s. Here are a couple of pics.

rcjeepbuilder - My trick to these axles is Loctite 680. I don't have anything that is press fit, but that would make it even better.

What I have done is machined the block to size, then drilled the hole to the diameter of the tube. It is a slip fit, but not intentionally. It just came down to "what I had lying around in tools". The tube is 1/4" and the hole is 1/4" but I don't have the true numbers to say how undersize the tube is than the hole in the block.

After drilling, I scored the 2 areas of adhesion and cleaned them with IPA (alcohol) to remove oils and impurities. Then by the magic power of the almighty Loctite, I placed the tube in and let it cure for the recommended period of time.

Bad-a-Bing-Ba-Da-Boom..... I have an axle

Here's a link to the 680 that I use:
http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/680-EN.PDF

You'll notice it is designed for cylindrical applications and works best with steel. I was stoked to see that it is also unaffected by oil as a solvent (motor oil on the chart) because my shocks leak all the time.

Here is the shear strength of it. Now I am not going to lie and say how good this is, but the shear has been my concern and 2800 psi seems to be enough so far.
Cured for 24 hours @ 22 °C
Compressive Shear Strength, ISO 10123:
Steel pins and collars N/mm² ≥19.3
LMS

(psi) (≥2,800)

I can't find a free version of ISO 10123 to see what is the test so I have to just do the trial and error method of testing this out.

Hope that helps some.
-Sam
Attached Images

SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #143
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

nice rig sam, i used to live near los gatos(grant road) and went to college up there(Menlo University) i had a friend Chris Wong who used to work at san antonio hobbies a while back, i heard they closed though.but yeah rotory power is great but you gotta rev the shit outta that thing to make power, you know about the whole infinite thing right? as long as you have bolts long enough and a badass machinist you can make an eninge with whatever rotor amount you want, could you imagine a 6 rotor triple individual t-body p-port setup? i'd say you could easily scratch the 600 hp mark, NA with gobbs of torque.you must have that thing geared down alot. and damn that rig must be heavy, if i remember correctly a 13b with fluids can weigh any where upwards of 300 pounds no tranny.
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:11 PM   #144
RCC Addict

THanks on the rig compliments. I didn't build it so I can't take credit. This was Jake's old competition rig in 2004. Since I saw it, I have always wanted it.

I don't think the motor weighs all the much. I think I saw 245 for it where as a VW flat 4 is at about the same mass. A Chevy 350 stock motor is in the 525+ range I believe. I didn't think it took too much fluid either, but I dont' recall off the top of my head how much it takes.

The motor though not a torquey guy does just fine pushing the 42s around thanks to gearing in the portals and 6:1 t-case. The slip of the auto helps out a lot too, but it still crawls pretty good without throttle input.

I couldn't imagine bolting multiple rotors together. That would be sweet. If anything I want to swap one into my wife Miata, but she won't let me.

-Sam
Old 12-09-2007, 12:29 AM   #145
RCC Addict

I decided to tear down the chassis this weekend to finish up the welds over at Chinos shop and clean it up some. RckJeep helped tack on some of the final touches for me . I also got the motor stickered up for it as well. Just need to find a way to secure it to the chassis. I am in the middle of painting the chassis its black color, but in between coats I have sketched up the panels to be used. These panel colors and design are based around the 2005 series colors. Of course I had to add my own logo stuff to it to represent Nor-Cal and Team Shake & Bake. Here is a work in progress:

I plan on printing it out to over head projector sheets to see how well they do.

-Sam
Attached Images

Last edited by SlinkySam; 12-09-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:08 AM   #146
RCC Addict

I printed some body panels out this morning and stuck them to the painted chassis. I think the color of the chassis is too shiny, but it will be ok for now. I think they turned out ok, but I will have to either zip tie or bolt them in place.

Sorry the pictures are a bit dark and the cage gets a bit blended in. You can sort of see the panels and the motor. I will have to get better pictures once I get the paint done and the finished axles in.

-Sam
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #147
RCC Addict

Hey Sam, Tiny is looking realy good.
I have an issue of off road adventures magazine from a few years ago with Jake and the (Rotary Rocket) what is now your buggy on the cover out at Moonrocks. If you haven't yet seen it, let me know and I can bring it out to the next comp I attend.

keep up the good work on tiny
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #148
I wanna be Dave

Just gets better and better!!!
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:26 PM   #149
RCC Addict

Thanks guys again for the comments. Now that I look at the original rig pictures, I forgot to weld in the grab handle for the driver on the passenger side of the vehicle. Damnit Oh well, I will have to figure it out.

Rockhugger - I had a copy of that issue which I thought was in "4 wheel drive & sport utility" , but I think you are right. The pictures there were one of the selling points for me.

-Sam
Old 12-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #150
RCC Addict

Did some work today to put it together partially just to see how it would look. One thing I have a problem with is patience. Ugg do I ever have a problem. Well today was no different. The paint isn't the right paint, but I used it anyway. the handle isn't installed, I haven't fabbed the motor mount, etc. etc. However, I just couldn't resist seeing what it would look like with skins and fresh paint. I didn't even wait for the Krawlers or put on center caps. But damn do I like how it turned out.

-Sam
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #151
Im Brandon

Wow Sam that looks killer. I still cant believe how light that frame is
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:53 PM   #152
I wanna be Dave

So Sam, when can I expect it at my doorstep?

Betcha' can't wait for them krawlers, can ya?
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:54 PM   #153
I wanna be Dave

BTW, why isn't this in scale?
Old 12-10-2007, 12:10 AM   #154
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
So Sam, when can I expect it at my doorstep?

Betcha' can't wait for them krawlers, can ya?
Wait, you haven't received it yet? That's odd. I will have to get you a tracking #. Please forgive me.

Dude, I can't wait for the Krawlers. I had to beg for them to be made (which I am not above doing by the way). Luckily RC4wd took the risk and made them. I know they are already a big hit at least here in Nor-Cal. I think everyone is getting a set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
BTW, why isn't this in scale?
Great question. Normally I am not skilled enough to make things nice or scale so I didn't think it would qualify. Furthermore, I had no clue if it was going to be 1.9 or 2.2. Maybe now it could be in the 1.9 section since that seems to be the route I am going. Who knows. Thanks for the compliments though. Much appreciated.

Brandon - Thanks man. That means a lot coming from the "Master" .

I am not sure what is light or heavy in tube frames, but I think we measured it at 11.75 ounces? It was something like a 1/2 ounce heavier than the Hustler with panels. Maybe the extra weight came from my booger weld piles.

-Sam
Old 12-10-2007, 01:00 AM   #155
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkySam View Post
Brandon - Thanks man. That means a lot coming from the "Master" .

-Sam
Thank you, but me? Master?? You have no idea how much I look up to you and your work
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:16 AM   #156
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

butt wipes on aisle 3! tiny made me poo poo in my pants.
good job sam.
looks like you gots a winner!
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:29 AM   #157
Rock Crawler

How big are the 2.2 crawlers going to be? I think they would look like the real thing.
cembom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #158
Quarry Creeper

Those tires are awesome (proto-types) and the jeep on page 6 or 7 too. Nice build too.
countryboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:26 PM   #159
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkySam View Post
Wait, you haven't received it yet? That's odd. I will have to get you a tracking #. Please forgive me.
Ok, it's here. Just got home from work & cought the mailman.

Going crawling with it now, I'll report back later.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #160
I wanna be Dave

That is such an awesome rig, it has some really creative details too.

Props!
Highmark is online now   Reply With Quote