Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TLT gearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default TLT gearing

Hey there isnt much talk about the tlt gears so I am woundering are you guys using the stock spur gear? BTW is the stock spur 48 pitch?
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2004, 05:57 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: TLT gearing

Stock TLT gears are metric 48 pitch, so it's different gearing that what you would pick up at your LHS. You can swith to regular 48 pitch gearing though by using a Kimbrough 48 pitch 93 tooth spur gear. With regular 48 pitch gearing a pinion of around 28 teeth should be close to stock.

For my crawler, when I was using the stock gearing, I ran 15/93 regular 48 pitch gearing. With my Stampede tranny I'm running 15/87 with T-Maxx tires.
Wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:59 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Basic gearing should be 12/96 . Then get to 100:1 and work form there.

Don't be scared, low gears work when driven
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Most of the reason why there isnt much talk about them is the only gears in the tranny are the spur and pinion (and they arent the normal everyday gears as wookie has already mentioned) the rest of the tranny is a belt. Alot of people (like wookie, me, and I believe DUDE) have switched over to a stampede tranny because first off it provides a lower gearing than stock second it has a lower profile so you can achieve more ground clearence. Also metal gears are available for them and they are easy to install even by people who dont normally do work like that so it make it an ideal canidate for a replacement tranny. BUT WAIT thers more! traxxas has a very user friendly design to the tranny and can sell you every single part inside of it (that includes hop up parts) either from their website ( www.buytraxxas.com ) or over ther phone if your hobby store doesnt already carry the parts.
pedesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:44 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Hey are you guys using 48 pitch gears? And Where can I buy small pinions, the lowest my lhs has is 16 teeth.
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 06:11 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I just got a Kimbrough 96 tooth 48 pitch spur gear that bolts right up to the Tamiya carrier. The part # is 152, it has ball bearings in it but they pop right out. I think it's for a Stealth.

As far as pinions go....your LHS should be happy to order you a lower toothed gear, or there is always Tower Hobby.
CWDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:56 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie
Hey are you guys using 48 pitch gears? And Where can I buy small pinions, the lowest my lhs has is 16 teeth.
RRP Robinson Racing best gears out there and a selection like no other. heavy duty to light weight racy go fast.

They have 12 tooth pinions and the 96 tooth spure. Just look for 96t spure Ass/HPI.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote