Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: quick yellowstone setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default quick yellowstone setup

hey all, i decided last night i really want to take my tlt with me to yellowstone for our 2 week vacation.

yellowstone = rocks = rock crawling

so i quick put my pede rims and moab tires back on and kept with the droop tlt shocks. my brother gave me his stock stampede body which was a little rough around the edges, just broken in! so now ive masked off some areas of the body and painted a flat black mis-matching hood (like a replacement after a rollover) and gave the bed a spray-in bedliner. i also masked off the drivers side door and painted it red to look like a replacement.

so now when i roll the truck the paint should scrape off.

the truck is nothing special..my own little creation built on a budget.

stock tlt chassis (extended for shock mounts and to run a lay down battery)

stock tlt tranny

55 turn lathe

tekin rebel 2

piraha 1900

moab 2.2s

ill get up pictures later..like i said, a quick setup to get me running for yellowstone.
aircruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I live about 1 1/2 hours from Yellowstone. I'm trying to think of some good spots to tell you to go, but can't think of any. Guess I've never gone through Yellowstone looking for a place to crawl. Don't get to close to the buffalo and make sure you have someone with you that can't run very fast. That way when you're being chased by a griz you just have to outrun the other person. (I actually saw a grizzly bear last year, about 500 yards away). Have fun!
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

haha thanks!

yeah ive seen a video of some elk out there charging peoples cars who stopped to look at them. the animals out there can be pretty testy i guess. ill see if i can find some spots and when im done there ill post up pics on here!
Old 07-28-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Elk probably aren't the biggest problem, although during the rut in September they will be more aggressive. The biggest problem is the buffalo, I've heard stories of people wanting to get their picture taken standing next to a buffalo, and they get gored. Don't let a buffalo gore your crawler.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:20 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

yeah that would suck

so on with the tlt!

i painted the hood, bed and made a replacement door. i painted the door but it needed a few coats and the wind decided to be gay and blow one of the pieces of paper i taped down to use as a mask onto the paint so that took some more paint. so anywho it was wet when my friend who just got his license and a new jeep (old one got rear ended by a women driver the day after he got his license) so now he got money from his totaled xj and got a grand cherokee limited. so me, him and two other friends went to kwik trip, got our slushees, went to kmart, messed around, went to one of the guys house and then went bowling.

i just got back and peeled the final window mask off.

here it is before i left

and when i got home

soooooooo i wont be back for two weeks and then ill have some better pictures fo sho!

i know i could improve my rig but i like it as is..it fits me best.

i also think the body is great for this truck...although the wheelbase is a little off it looks pretty dang good!

see ya in 2 weeks
Old 07-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i wanna see some more of that hummer! that looks cool!
TOYUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:22 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

so im back
left in july and got home about 4 hours ago.
heres how the trip went
1 night in mitchell south dakota
2 nights in spearfish south dakota
1 night in casper wyoming
3 nights in the grand tetons park wyoming
5 nights in yellowstone wyoming
1 night in somewhere in north dakota
2 nights in bismarck north dakota
1 night in ashbury minnesota
home

i brought along with me my tlt and my mini mauler, my bro brought his mini mauler and my mom brought her rc18t which i drove alot and my dad brough his rc18b
in mitchell, i took my tlt out and there was a stump i drove over

next on the way to casper we stopped at a truck stop. behind some of the trucks i found an awesome course.

i somehow made it out of this one

the dirt was loose and the truck slid backwards and hit a rock hard with the passengers side rear tire. all that happened was the rear steer lockout popped off

well, time to hit the road
got to spearfish that day, drove around in the ram, went to sleep.
the next day we hit the blackhills and the tlt tagged along
first spot i drove

well i made it up the hill and i was driving from the bottom. it was a hill with loose dirt and the moabs pulled the truck up with ease. then my dad was at the top of the hill and i drove up his foot. he then lifted the front end up and the truck did a backwards somersalt (spelling). no biggie right? landed on all fours. well then as it slowly rolled back down the hill the tires hooked a rock and the truck started rolling sideways. i dove for the truck but it was to late. it fell off a 5 ft boulder, landed on the tailgate and then flew off another 6ft boulder and landed on it's roof. i jumped down to find the truck with just a rear steer lockout popped off. popped it back on and climbed back up.
bottom of the hill where it landed

we then drove down the road and found a huge rock area..
river crossing the crawler way

i drove around and then drove upstream a bit and found a nice shot to pose the truck

we then went sight seeing some more and got back to the camper where i started driving my mom's rc18t. found a nice tree jump!

the next day we packed up and drove to casper. we then got to casper which was one of those stay over night and leave campgrounds. so my brother and i went swimming at the pool. an hour after we got in my dad came down and told us the minneapolis bridge collapsed. we swam for another hour and then went back to the camper and saw the news and saw the bridge collapsed. it seemed so unreal. ive driven over that bridge a dozen times.
so we went and got something to eat and then went to sleep.
then we got to the tetons the next day. the tetons were amazing! i havent seen mountains before this so this was just awesome to see!

the campground was alot of fun to. here's a hillclimb and rock pit i found

my tlt climbing

more from the climb

and i found a few trails too

and a funky tree i found, drove the tlt under it

the day we got there i saw a perfect mud puddle. my brother watched me drive my mini mauler through it and got addicted.
here's my mini mauler in the first run.

and my stuck picture.

this stuck had me worried. my brother and i ran all our trucks un-waterproofed. i was blasting around in the puddles and my rear tires disappeared under the water. then i lost power..but still had steering. so i pulled the truck out and dropped it from about a foot a couple times and it slowly started working again. the next day i took my tlt out and my bro took his mini mauler out. i was able to take some action shots of my brother's truck.
check em out
stuck

driving through

my tlt chasing his truck

both trucks

my bros truck after a few runs

the next two days we drove into and around the tetons. we got pretty close and let me tell ya something, pictures dont do justice. these giant rocks are amazing!!
there was a lodge near by where my parents wanted to go because they got wifi so they could check there email. sorry i didnt check in, but i was having to much fun swimming, talking to babes and rock crawling (no i didnt get any pics of the babes and my truck ;D i didnt show them it)
so here's some rock crawling infront of the lodge

then we left for yellowstone. first stop, old faithful.
and the downside to a narrow 2 lane road and a rollover blocking both lanes

the traffic ahead of us went on for about half a mile

the traffic behind us before we got rolling went on for about 2 miles.
i walked up to the crash site and it was pretty bad. it was a grand caravan that tried to pass a slow car around a corner and tried to avoid oncoming traffic and tried to go back into his own lane but over corrected and rolled the van a few times. the minivan was totalled and there was an older lady in the passenger's seat with a neckbrace and wasnt moving.
i didnt get a pic of the wreck.
and then we saw old faithful. that was sweet!
ill get pics of that and other geysers later.
all of the yellowstone trip we were sight seeing or swimming. i did get some pictures of my truck at earthquake lake though

and then we set out for home

it was an awesome trip and i got some great ideas for some new r/c projects so stay tuned!!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:42 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Cool pics, you're in my backyard!! I've spent a lot of time around West Yellowstone and around the Tetons. Looks like you had fun.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Looks like a great trip!

Your tlt looks like a fun truck!
phishead1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:23 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

thanks!

yeah wyoming is an insanely cool place

and the tlt wont be looking like that for much longer..next prject is just using the axles.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:32 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Yes Wyoming is really cool! I've been to Yellowstone twice and still haven't seen the whole place! It's huge! Got to see Elk, Wolf, Grizzly, Buffalo, and other assorted deers and critters! Looks like you had fun.
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Wow, looks like fun!

Beautiful scenery!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I love crawling on river rock. Smooth and grippy. Looks like fun. I wish I could go to yellow stone
Stallion1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:56 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

thanks guys!

yeah right across from the campground we stayed at was a wild life refuge and they had a grizzly area with a 1,000lbs grizzly named sam, he was huge.

i got some more scenery and geyser pics if ya want.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
the animals out there can be pretty testy i guess
Just the buffalo (best red meat I've ever had - so dark and rich it's almost purple. Super lean and tender) Elk is tough and stringy it really has to be cooked properly. Stewed or braised. And the only bear you can eat is the small black bear, and the only part of him you want is the hams and tenderloins. Dark, strong, greasy. Bear is a taste that takes some getting used to.

Man, your whole family is into RC, that is really cool. Looks like you had a great trip...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:58 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Testy...not tasty. But they are indeed tasty.
Cslax06 is offline   Reply With Quote