Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: fat rock axle C's and RC4WD axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 05:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default fat rock axle C's and RC4WD axle

has any one tried putting fat rock axle C's on the aluminum RC4WD axle housings? Do you guys think it would work, and do you even think it is worth the trouble? I like the idea of the extra height and everyone seems to think that they are great? Just kind of a thought really.

Thanks
8500lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I don't understand why you would buy an aluminum housing and then cut it for fat rock aluminum axle C's?
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

serious if anything the rc4wd housings are like 50x stronger in that area than the already strong axle c's
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
I don't understand why you would buy an aluminum housing and then cut it for fat rock aluminum axle C's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
serious if anything the rc4wd housings are like 50x stronger in that area than the already strong axle c's
Read a little closer guys. He's asking because you can turn the Fat Rock's upside down to gain a little extra diff clearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8500lbs View Post
has any one tried putting fat rock axle C's on the aluminum RC4WD axle housings? Do you guys think it would work, and do you even think it is worth the trouble? I like the idea of the extra height and everyone seems to think that they are great? Just kind of a thought really.

Thanks
I have not seen it done.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

you dont gain any extra height AT ALL with the fatrock c's only under knuckle clearance... 4-5mm i think depending on the way you mount them... but that 4-5mm is definetly not worth skrewing a 120dollar axle casing, as well as the strenth of the casing also.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Is the 1/8 of clearance really worth it? If so, then why doesn't RC4WD just make the housings come to stubs and allow the buyer to install what ever ends they choose? $130 for an aluminum housing seems expensive to turn around and cut for a very small clearance gain. Yes, you can gain some clearance, but at the same time you are raising the center gravity. Which is more beneficial to obtain? Axle clearance or lower center of gravity?
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Just get Portals!! Be easy on them though!!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
you dont gain any extra height AT ALL with the fatrock c's only under knuckle clearance... 4-5mm i think depending on the way you mount them... but that 4-5mm is definetly not worth skrewing a 120dollar axle casing, as well as the strenth of the casing also.
The clearance is only under the knuckle? I didn't know that, I thought it was under the diff. Sorry guys.

This seems confusing then.
"RCP Crawlers has teamed up with Fat-Rock designs to bring you one of the most sought after products for TLT axles. Fat-Rock axle C's can be flipped over to either provide increased ground clearance OR a lower center of gravity. No matter how you run them these are a must have to build that indestructible axle assembly. Enough for 1 axle."

EDIT: Well my Fat Rock's came in the mail today and I just got them installed. Now I see what you guys are saying. In one position the diff clearance is just like stock. If you flip them, you can reduce diff clearance and lower the CG.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 07-30-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

you only gain knuckle clearance you get rid of the kingpins and more the axle c up like a mm or two not much a total of 4 or 5 mm under the knuckle

they do NOT RAISE AXLE CLEARANCE thats a typo
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Correct. Only gain clearance under the kingpin, not under the whole axle.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote