Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Nationals rig:CJ-8 SW3 8/20 new pics, videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
Sinking with the ship

Default Nationals rig:CJ-8 SW3 8/20 new pics, videos

After getting all the plans squared away for the nationals such as time off from work, plane tickets, where I was staying etc...The next thing I needed to do was build a damn truck to compete with The only comp rig I did have was a bulu 2 that I had gotten from unimoger. Well I sold that off since I didnt do much competing and now I needed a new rig. I had saved the scrambler body from old bulu 2 so that was a start. I contacted Bender, ordered up an SW3. I talked with Brad some more and he said I should go with some delrin links. I then contacted David at Xtreme and he made me up some heavy duty delrin links. I had some CVDs from RCP since the original pre order, as well as some fat rock axle Cs, Bender link mounts, and RC4wd straight axle adapters in the pit box. So I ordered up an axle kit from RCP with bearings and aluminum knuckles.

Had some time yesterday and started building. Here is what I have so far...

I had extra AXIALs so I got some lead weight from the LHS today and wrapped them around the fronts...not sure if I should get some for the backs or not??? I went with some LOSI shocks that I had gotten from unimoger some time back, they have been rebuilt and have 30wt oil in them. Axles are built, alum Cs, CVDs front and rear, straight rear, alum knuckles, bearings the works...

Now this is what I am trying to decide on...

Transmission

Should I run a pede trans or a new r2? Im kind of torn on this...if I break something on a pede trans parts are plentiful and since I am flying in I cant bring my entire pit boxs and spare parts collection, plus I have some extra pede parts.

Tires

Any opinions as far as Moabs or Mashers for use in MOAB? What did you guys run last year? what seemed to work better?

Servo

Do you think I can get away with a 645? or should I step it up to something better? I usually run JR 650z and have always had good luck..only thing is there isnt a J$ dealer by me now that my LHS was shut down due to taxes :-( http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Tec...rodID=JRPSZ650

Electronics

I plan to borrow the electrics out of another truck, I was going to use a Novak XRS and a new 45 turn lathe motor. I know everyone will say to go BL but I am trying to save money for the actual trip...

Well any tips and pointers in setting this thing up is appreciated. If you guys can let me know on the tires soon, that would be great. I would like to order them this week and get this thing finished up.

**ALSO** does anyone know who sells LOSI springs? I dont think tower does and I need some whites and yellows!!!

Thanks
-Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
MODERHATER™

Heck ya!!!

I personally would go for the Pede tranny and get the all STEEL gears for long life!!!

For an ESC I would at least get the Novak crawler, or a Mamba max, you can't get by with out a drag brake anymore.

I would put a brace where the side body posts are.

For a servo I would try to get a Hitec 985, more torque than a 645 and I have yet to strip gears on one, even had one one a buddies pig with no issues. 645's always seem to strip when you don't want them too.....

And oh yea, glue your hexes in those Axials!!!

Last edited by 666; 08-05-2007 at 03:29 PM.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
2006 2.2 National Champ

Damn, you didn't waste any time getting it to roller form. Looks good.

I'd go Pede on the tranny, just for the slipper clutch alone. Although, a 45t would probably work good with the R2, because it doen't have the power brushless does.

The 645mg servos work fine, that's what I run, but a little more power would be nice.

I usually run about 1/2 weight I have in the front, out back.

For tires last year the field was a mix of Moabs and Mashers. This year the Rock Claws will probably be everywhere.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Heck ya!!!

I personally would go for the Pede tranny and get the all STEEL gears for long life!!!

For an ESC I would at least get the Novak crawler, or a Mamba max, you can't get by with out a drag brake anymore.

I would put a brace where the side body posts are.

For a servo I would try to get a Hiec 985, more torque than a 645 and I have yet to strip gears on one, even had one one a buddies pig with no issues. 645's always seem to strip when you don't want them too.....

And oh yea, glue your hexes in those Axials!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
Damn, you didn't waste any time getting it to roller form. Looks good.

I'd go Pede on the tranny, just for the slipper clutch alone. Although, a 45t would probably work good with the R2, because it doen't have the power brushless does.

The 645mg servos work fine, that's what I run, but a little more power would be nice.

I usually run about 1/2 weight I have in the front, out back.

For tires last year the field was a mix of Moabs and Mashers. This year the Rock Claws will probably be everywhere.

Yea I didnt waste anytime I was stoked when I went to the PO Box on saturday and both the chassis and links were there

so it looks like I need an ESC with a drga brake? this is now the 2nd time I have heard this...Mike/EtypeR recommend the same thing...kinda has me thinking now... I do have an extra set of rc4wd beadlocks I could dump, put that towards the novak system.

I think I am going to go with my JR servo, I just called the other LHS and theycarry JR so I will pick one of them up, I love my JR stuff, I never have any problems with them.

I use the pede trans should I not use the slipper eliminator jammy thats one there right now?

Guess for tires its just whatever usually works for you...I have always been a fan of MOABs, plus I think they look better I guess ill see what happens over the next couple of days.

Thanks for all the help guys cant wait to Jam out with everyone
Old 08-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
RCC Addict

For what it is worth, I heard that Mashers worked a ton better than Moabs last year. But, the conditions could be different.

Looks nice.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
2006 2.2 National Champ

If you're running a lathe motor the slipper eliminator will work fine. The Pede tranny is plenty stout, I've only stripped mine out once. With brushless I like to have a slipper clutch though.

I'd go with the Mamba Max esc, as 666 suggested. It can run both lathe motors or brushless motors. When you're decending a steep face without drag brake your rig will just roll down almost any incline with little control. With drag brake the motor will slow your rig down to a slow decent, if not stop, when you let off the throttle. It is key in comp situations.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If you're running a lathe motor the slipper eliminator will work fine. The Pede tranny is plenty stout, I've only stripped mine out once.
I agree with the champ Mike.

Pssst...Why are you showing your rig? You know it's bad Ju-Ju to let the competitors see it before game day..It's kinda like getting married.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
For what it is worth, I heard that Mashers worked a ton better than Moabs last year. But, the conditions could be different.

Looks nice.
Thanks for the tip, I think I will be running mashers, they have always worked a little better even on the scalers for me

Quote:
If you're running a lathe motor the slipper eliminator will work fine. The Pede tranny is plenty stout, I've only stripped mine out once. With brushless I like to have a slipper clutch though.

I'd go with the Mamba Max esc, as 666 suggested. It can run both lathe motors or brushless motors. When you're decending a steep face without drag brake your rig will just roll down almost any incline with little control. With drag brake the motor will slow your rig down to a slow decent, if not stop, when you let off the throttle. It is key in comp situations.
Thanks again for all the info Brad! I have a lot to learn about this comp stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
I agree with the champ Mike.

Pssst...Why are you showing your rig? You know it's bad Ju-Ju to let the competitors see it before game day..It's kinda like getting married.
I gotta show it, because it needs to be worthy im not going across the country with some half A$$ed rig, I need all the help I can get .

I dont know WTF bad JU JU is so withs said...

f- that JU JU crap
Old 08-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #9
I lost my vendor privileges

nice start. i to would run the eedy. tough and lighter than the r2.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
TEAM RCC

I use a 35t lathe, R2 and Mamba Max on 11 volts.
Pleanty of torque and more wheel speed than most BL
CRF450R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:15 PM   #11
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRF450R View Post
I use a 35t lathe, R2 and Mamba Max on 11 volts.
Pleanty of torque and more wheel speed than most BL
You wish!!!
Old 08-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #12
TEAM RCC

I've smoked your junk many times
Old 08-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Eww....
wyattburp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #14
TEAM RCC

OK... Gerbil Boy!
Old 08-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #15
MODERHATER™

I must have missed this.....

Is that why it is all melted?

Old 08-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Are you gonna feel weird driving a comp rig vs a scaler Mike? I'm going just to see you buddy! I missed you since the Truck Pull Nationals...
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I must have missed this.....

Is that why it is all melted?

is this your avatar picture?
konafreeride11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:23 PM   #18
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
Are you gonna feel weird driving a comp rig vs a scaler Mike? I'm going just to see you buddy! I missed you since the Truck Pull Nationals...

Yea its going to be weird...itll probably actually steer good, wont be as heavy as a brick, will actually be able to crawl and wont look as cool
Old 08-06-2007, 09:28 AM   #19
Im Brandon

Dont forget about batteries! What are you planning to run? or did I miss it

Everything looks good Mike, I drove Dustins (51504rock) SW3 for about an hour yesterday, they are amazing!! Almost makes me want to run one instead of the tuber
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #20
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post
Dont forget about batteries! What are you planning to run? or did I miss it

Everything looks good Mike, I drove Dustins (51504rock) SW3 for about an hour yesterday, they are amazing!! Almost makes me want to run one instead of the tuber
Brandon, with my crawlers, I usually cheap out with batteries I use the radio shack 3300 GP cells...they have always worked good enough for me I run matched 4200 1.21s in the race clods but I think thats overkill for a crawler.

-Mike