Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: another 2.2 hustler build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #61
I lost my vendor privileges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
Approve? It's your rig, do whatever you want. I love to see people try different set-ups and encourage it. Who's to say until it has been tried.

alot of it is the driver.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2007, 07:45 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill c View Post
is that thing ready to go or is it still broken. well get it done for this sunday, at the lake.

what are you talking about....broken?
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:07 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcab View Post
as promised, I said I was going to do something different with this one, I have seen the full droopers and thought my JT-22 did better at alot of things, but the lure of the tuber got to me and had to try it out........droop front, sprung rear, 2 5/8" center at ride hight and 3 3/4" with droop, suspension feels real smooth............a few pics with poser shots, still need to install drive lines and a ton of weight
Jeeze, where'd ya get the idea for the suspension setup??
PaloAltoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:22 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I've seen a lot of builds lately with droop up front and springs in the back. What's the advantage to running this suspension? I guess you wouldn't have to worry about the front end unloading on a steep climb. Why springs in the back? By the way, great looking crawler.
Here is what I have found, and why I run it in my comp rig. When doing serious climbs or side hills with a full "unsprung" droop setup there are times when the front unloads and with no resistence the rear follows suit and the rig rolls over/backwards prematurely. With the sprung rear end, and right springs, it seems to counteract and almost force the front back down. It has it's drawbacks, especially in silt, because the rear can't droop to get traction if you are high centered, but on rocks it....well...ROCKS!! Where we have most of our comps, performance on the rocks is what counts. I am still fine tuning mine, but that's my $.02, and I have been running it for over a year now.
PaloAltoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #65
RCC Addict

I have been doing a bit of testing when time permits, and finally got my comp rig back to do a little head to head testing............., that should say it all, from what I have seen, the J2-TT with my setup would do some things better than a full droop hustler, my hustler with the rear sprung/front droop really comes alive, side hills and out climbs my old comp rig by alot, testing will continue at the bean tomorrow and hopefully get some pics
Old 08-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcab View Post
I have been doing a bit of testing when time permits, and finally got my comp rig back to do a little head to head testing............., that should say it all, from what I have seen, the J2-TT with my setup would do some things better than a full droop hustler, my hustler with the rear sprung/front droop really comes alive, side hills and out climbs my old comp rig by alot, testing will continue at the bean tomorrow and hopefully get some pics

hey just bring it
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:58 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep View Post
hey just bring it

brought it and beat it, work really good, a few pics
Old 08-27-2007, 12:01 AM   #68
Keep it real

Looking real good there, Halfcab.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:15 AM   #69
RCC Addict

a few more

and one of the boyer X-wheely king rubi tuber, tlt's under it now and a beating on the rocks, the first few scratches hurt and then it was all FUN

Last edited by halfcab; 08-27-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:16 AM   #70
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Looking real good there, Halfcab.

thanks
Old 08-27-2007, 11:08 PM   #71
RCC Addict

just a few more from today
Old 08-27-2007, 11:34 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

hey how did it do agaist a sw-3 today
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:37 PM   #73
RCC Addict

Very cool Todd. It looks mean like that. Looking at the color, can I call your rig "Orange Tang"? You know, the space shuttle astronauts drink of choice.

Looks very cool though. I can't wait to see how it performs in person.

-Sam
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #74
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep View Post
hey how did it do agaist a sw-3 today
it did really well, still needs a little tweek here and there, I think I have a hold on the issues it does have, a big part of the problem it has right now is the weight of the rx pak on the rear links, when the bec's get here it will be tons better than it is now, Dustin was very surprised at how well it did keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkySam View Post
Very cool Todd. It looks mean like that. Looking at the color, can I call your rig "Orange Tang"? You know, the space shuttle astronauts drink of choice.

Looks very cool though. I can't wait to see how it performs in person.
-Sam

thanks for the name Sam...........the TANG TUBER
Old 08-29-2007, 11:48 PM   #75
RCC Addict

going to try a sprung front setup tomorrow and see how it does, got my cool bec from jrh today and got it put in....WOW what a difference, thanks jrh, should have left it alone and tested with out the rx jumbo pac to see the difference, but the RC10T front shocks were just begging for a test run, only takes a few minutes to change them back;) may have pics tomorrow
Old 08-30-2007, 07:39 PM   #76
RCC Addict

testing carnage pics, busted both bearings and one of the locating holes on the inner axle:-(, lucky for me I have a spare set
Old 08-30-2007, 07:55 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Man, how did you manage to do that? I have been in R/C since 83 and never broke a bearing like that. (unless it was in one of my brushless airplanes and the bearing seized)
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:27 PM   #78
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikster View Post
Man, how did you manage to do that? I have been in R/C since 83 and never broke a bearing like that. (unless it was in one of my brushless airplanes and the bearing seized)

no idea, they were new , only ran on the hustler, mabey 7 paks?, excellent service from rcp, a replacement will probably be on the way as early as tomorrow, and there is more steering available so it is not over stressing the limits or range of the cvd, might be a little over powered though 3s 11.1 volt lipo/1300mah and the losi tires get pretty good grip
Old 08-30-2007, 09:32 PM   #79
RCC Addict

RCP knuckles huh? Hmm... My first set of knuckles, the front and rear hole for the bearings was just a hair off. The axle could slide in, but it wasn't as smooth as the other side. I wonder if that might be the case with yours and over time, the stress wore the bearings out a lot faster than it should have.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikster View Post
RCP knuckles huh? Hmm... My first set of knuckles, the front and rear hole for the bearings was just a hair off. The axle could slide in, but it wasn't as smooth as the other side. I wonder if that might be the case with yours and over time, the stress wore the bearings out a lot faster than it should have.

nope, top cad knuckles, have had them on my other comp rig for a year with no problems, they are silver and these are black chrome, thats the only difference

by the way, it was working really well sprung front and rear