Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Nationals rig:CJ-8 SW3 8/20 new pics, videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #21
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Brandon, with my crawlers, I usually cheap out with batteries I use the radio shack 3300 GP cells...they have always worked good enough for me I run matched 4200 1.21s in the race clods but I think thats overkill for a crawler.

-Mike
Nothing wrong with that, nor cals top 2.2's run the same battery But you absolutely have to run the fat rock servo mount so you can set the battery all the way down on the axle. Well you dont have to but the difference will be night and day
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #22
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post
Nothing wrong with that, nor cals top 2.2's run the same battery But you absolutely have to run the fat rock servo mount so you can set the battery all the way down on the axle. Well you dont have to but the difference will be night and day
really? hmmmm I wonder if I can still run Davids top links he made for me with with the fat rock mount..

-Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:17 AM   #23
Im Brandon

Quote:
really? hmmmm I wonder if I can still run Davids top links he made for me with with the fat rock mount..

-Mike
You should be able to, and if you really wanted to get the battery low you can use the holes on the fat rock mount to mount the links under the plate. That way the battery sets even lower, however your links are pretty beefy so I am not sure if they would hit the d shaft or not.

EDIT: Now that I take a closer look at it I am not sure... With some fabbing I know you can make it work.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #24
Sinking with the ship

Got the SW3 duty bomb brown CJ running I went with the pede trans I heard to many mixed feelings about the r2 that just made me nervous... I needed this thing to be bomb proof as I can bring all my extra parts with me to nats.

Here is its set up as of now:

SW3 chassis
Pede trans, metal gearing cept for diff gear, bearings, slipper eliminator, 12/87
xtreme racing delrin 4 links
RCP/fat rock servo/top link mount up front, bender on the rear axle
losi shocks, losi whites up front losi yellows in the back
TLT axles-bearings, fat rocks, rc4wd lockouts, bearings, CVDS, RCP knuckles
axials wheels with 1/4oz stick on weights wrapped around the fronts
hitec 5645 digital high torque servo
55 turn lathe, cut on my lathe with diamond bit, stronger springs, 8* advance timing
Novak rooster CRAWLER with drag brake
cj-8 body
spektrum receiever
axial tires with kreepy narrow red foams, stock foams in back

Now, I think it did pretty good out on THE ROCK... I do think I need to weight the back of the truck as the drag brake while very helpful likes to send it *** over end when coming down a descent...

I am running the losi shocks upside down and I feel like the 1st 1/8" of travel there is a dead spot? I tried some other shocks and they feel the same way

What weight oil do you guys recommend? I feel like the rear is reacting to slowly, I think I used 50wt....

also, how can I improve my side hill right now I cannot balance the truck on its side like everyone else can, it tips over...

tires as you can see I had trouble getting traction several times... I really want to run some new losi... As far as drilling out the rims so the tires can breathe, how big of hole should I drill and how many?

any other suggestions you guys may have would be great!

Thanks
Mike

Here are the vids

Old 08-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

These Lizards hook up at slllowww speeds. As much as we all go to the last resort, wheel-speed, try letting off the throttle instead of going faster, they seem to hook-up better this way. And are they the new sticky Lizards? If not, soften them up.

Yes there is a dead spot. This is why I hate running shocks upside down, someone please step in and help out with the subject. I just cant seem to bleed them right.

One 1/8'' hole per wheel should be fine, possibly two.

Sidehilling: All in the foams, and CG in my experience. If you run the new sticky lizards, you should channel the foams for maximum sidewall support. If you channel them about 3/4-1'' deep, it will support the sidewalls, and still allow plenty of bite.

Being able to stand on its side: Try lowering it just a tad, or try getting the electronics lower. This may also be hard to do depending on how you cut your foams.

Hope I helped. Diggin' it so far!
Cslax06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:59 PM   #26
Im Brandon

Quote:
Now, I think it did pretty good out on THE ROCK... I do think I need to weight the back of the truck as the drag brake while very helpful likes to send it *** over end when coming down a descent...

I am running the losi shocks upside down and I feel like the 1st 1/8" of travel there is a dead spot? I tried some other shocks and they feel the same way

What weight oil do you guys recommend? I feel like the rear is reacting to slowly, I think I used 50wt....

also, how can I improve my side hill right now I cannot balance the truck on its side like everyone else can, it tips over...

tires as you can see I had trouble getting traction several times... I really want to run some new losi... As far as drilling out the rims so the tires can breathe, how big of hole should I drill and how many?

Thanks
Mike
Rear weight: Check your weight bias. You should be around 60/40. Meaning you can balance the truck with your finger under the skid slightly foward. If you have to hold it way foward to balance add weight to the rear. I havent used the novak crawler but I heard the drag is strong but once you get used to it its great.

Shocks Dead spot: Run shorter springs or allow for some droop. Yeah it will lower it somewhat but you will pass that dead spot. More than likely its the oil in the shocks. The piston is above the filled level of oil so it travels through air then hits the oil.

Oil: 50wt should be fine. Especially if your weight bias requires you to add weight to the rear.

Side hill: Whats your center clearance now? Maybe lower your ride height effectively lowering your cog.

Tires: 2 1/8" holes will work fine. The Squishy's need to breath. Which versions of the tires are those? Try mashers as well, I have yet to get my rock claws to work as well or better than my mashers

Whew! Looks good man
Old 08-20-2007, 03:04 PM   #27
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cslax06 View Post
These Lizards hook up at slllowww speeds. As much as we all go to the last resort, wheel-speed, try letting off the throttle instead of going faster, they seem to hook-up better this way. And are they the new sticky Lizards? If not, soften them up.

Yes there is a dead spot. This is why I hate running shocks upside down, someone please step in and help out with the subject. I just cant seem to bleed them right.

One 1/8'' hole per wheel should be fine, possibly two.

Sidehilling: All in the foams, and CG in my experience. If you run the new sticky lizards, you should channel the foams for maximum sidewall support. If you channel them about 3/4-1'' deep, it will support the sidewalls, and still allow plenty of bite.

Being able to stand on its side: Try lowering it just a tad, or try getting the electronics lower. This may also be hard to do depending on how you cut your foams.

Hope I helped. Diggin' it so far!
Thanks for the help dude, I dont know which axials the tires were... I have the cards from the package at home...I seem to remember them saying (R) compound Is that the new version? I did try going slow...they just didnt seem to bite...ill try them again at the comp this weekend, but I think I am going to get the losi's once someone has them. I am going to try drilling the rims, I think that had a bit to do with it too.

the shocks is definitely irritating me, I know how to build shocks and they feel fine when right side up...I dont get it

I think my side hill bit was ok, the tires were definitely not folding... last night I had the body off and it stood on its own on the side.. I am beginning to think the high lift jack on the hood isnt helping..might have to take it off when I compete.

-Mike
Old 08-20-2007, 03:07 PM   #28
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post
Rear weight: Check your weight bias. You should be around 60/40. Meaning you can balance the truck with your finger under the skid slightly foward. If you have to hold it way foward to balance add weight to the rear. I havent used the novak crawler but I heard the drag is strong but once you get used to it its great.

Shocks Dead spot: Run shorter springs or allow for some droop. Yeah it will lower it somewhat but you will pass that dead spot. More than likely its the oil in the shocks. The piston is above the filled level of oil so it travels through air then hits the oil.

Oil: 50wt should be fine. Especially if your weight bias requires you to add weight to the rear.

Side hill: Whats your center clearance now? Maybe lower your ride height effectively lowering your cog.

Tires: 2 1/8" holes will work fine. The Squishy's need to breath. Which versions of the tires are those? Try mashers as well, I have yet to get my rock claws to work as well or better than my mashers

Whew! Looks good man
Thanks for the info Brandon, I took your advice on the fat rock mount and I think that definitely helps ALOT Ill check my cog, right now I have it losi buggy rears on the rear and buggy fronts on the front, maybe ill find some shocks to match the front length and drop it down. I did notice that i didnt have any scratches on the skid so i dont think ill have an GC issues if I lower it a tad.

-Mike
Old 08-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #29
Donkey Punch Champion!

Mike, you really want the Losi Rock Claws. Hands down. Good luck with the SW3, we'll see you in Moab.

Can you post a body off shot showing how your link mounts worked out with the FatRock servo mount?

Ryan
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #30
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller View Post
Mike, you really want the Losi Rock Claws. Hands down. Good luck with the SW3, we'll see you in Moab.

Can you post a body off shot showing how your link mounts worked out with the FatRock servo mount?

Ryan
Sure thing Ryan, I am work now till 6 but Ill take a pic when I get home I took off my delrin links and used some revo links (I think revo...).

-Mike
Old 08-20-2007, 03:29 PM   #31
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:

Thanks
Mike
My Mamba25 drag brake will bring the rear end over on steep descents too. On really steep stuff you gotta turn around and back down.

There is always some air in the shocks so when you run the shock upside down and the shock fully extended the air travels to the top of the body.Like Brandon said, the piston is sitting in the air bubbles. Nothing you can do. Might does it slightly too but I don't worry about it too much.

I like 50wt oil all the way around.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the whole balance on the side thing too much. It should be close to doing it though. Mine has never done that except when it had droop suspension, and that was when it performed it's wost. I think that you have to adjust the amount of wheel/axle weight to account for the CG (weight of your body, ride height, etc). Also, if your sidewalls are rolling over on sidehills then you need more sidewall support. Unless you have Losi tires, then it's ok.

I run 2 1/8" holes in the wheels I have right now. As far as tires go, you'd be better off with Mashers or even Moabs if those are not the sticky Lizards. I have no experience with the sticky Lizards but I plan to run Claws. I'll have a set of Mashers mounted up just in case I need a wider tire for some course.

The best thing is practice, something I didn't used to do enough of. Run it over and over making small changes. Even if your rig isn't perfectly set up to do everything just right (no rig is), knowing the limitations of your rig and how you can account for it with different lines and such is really important.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 08-20-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #32
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
My Mamba25 drag brake will bring the rear end over on steep descents too. On really steep stuff you gotta turn around and back down.

There is always some air in the shocks so when you run the shock upside down and the shock fully extended the air travels to the top of the body.Like Brandon said, the piston is sitting in the air bubbles. Nothing you can do. Might does it slightly too but I don't worry about it too much.

I like 50wt oil all the way around.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the whole balance on the side thing too much. It should be close to doing it though. Mine has never done that except when it had droop suspension, and that was when it performed it's wost. I think that you have to adjust the amount of wheel/axle weight to account for the CG (weight of your body, ride height, etc). Also, if your sidewalls are rolling over on sidehills then you need more sidewall support. Unless you have Losi tires, then it's ok.

I run 2 1/8" holes in the wheels I have right now. As far as tires go, you'd be better off with Mashers or even Moabs if those are not the sticky Lizards. I have no experience with the sticky Lizards but I plan to run Claws. I'll have a set of Mashers mounted up just in case I need a wider tire for some course.

The best thing is practice, something I didn't used to do enough of. Run it over and over making small changes. Even if your rig isn't perfectly set up to do everything just right (no rig is), knowing the limitations of your rig and how you can account for it with different lines and such is really important.
Thanks Chris, I am going to try to get as much wheel time in as I can between now and MOAB, but its gonna be hard, as I have alot going on between work, GF, and getting the clone finished...

I am going to change the tires, my stepdad said I can borrow his mashers, so I am going to run those this weekend at the comp in jersey. These tires didnt roll the side walls at all, I think I had "sidehilling" mized up with getting it to stand on it side, I personally think its side hill'd pretty well. This weekends comp will show what it can really do.

-Mike
Old 08-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #33
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Thanks Chris, I am going to try to get as much wheel time in as I can between now and MOAB, but its gonna be hard, as I have alot going on between work, GF, and getting the clone finished...

I am going to change the tires, my stepdad said I can borrow his mashers, so I am going to run those this weekend at the comp in jersey. These tires didnt roll the side walls at all, I think I had "sidehilling" mized up with getting it to stand on it side, I personally think its side hill'd pretty well. This weekends comp will show what it can really do.

-Mike
Yup, it's tough to find the time for sure.

I can't watch the videos until after work hours, during work hours the sites are blocked. So if your videos would have made my answers any different then that's why.

Good luck at the comp.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #34
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Yup, it's tough to find the time for sure.

I can't watch the videos until after work hours, during work hours the sites are blocked. So if your videos would have made my answers any different then that's why.

Good luck at the comp.
Well if ya got time then, be sure to watch them keep in mind, I drove and filmed and I was trying to do a good at both

-mike
Old 08-21-2007, 02:48 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Looks good, not to sure about them lizards though.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #36
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller View Post

Ryan
Ryan here are some pics

Old 08-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #37
RCC Addict

I want one :-(

nice rig! ditch the lizards though
trickedoutTLT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:27 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

what spur gear and pinion gear are you running ?
iwantoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:58 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

looks really nice.. nice to see someone running a body that is not a bug
balang_479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:54 AM   #40
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantoffroad View Post
what spur gear and pinion gear are you running ?
12/87

Quote:
Originally Posted by balang_479 View Post
looks really nice.. nice to see someone running a body that is not a bug
Yea, Im not a fan of the bug bodies...I know everyone uses them because you can roll yourself back over but I was doing that with this body this weekend when testing it. I dont see to many bugs on the trail, although I know there is some, and since I am scale guy I gotta use a body that you will see on real crawlers more often.

-Mike