Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project Bula Buster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #121
Rock Crawler

this is the first time i have seen this build and WOW.
It was neat to see how much it has changed, and howmany overhauls you did. I am very impressed with all of your mods that you have done, and i really dig the quick change axles, and your tranny!!!
Rc EnthuSiasTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2007, 01:57 PM   #122
Pebble Pounder

Wow, I never saw this build until it was brought back to life. Nice fab work. Looks like there's a lot going on in the trann/T-case there. Hopefully I'll get to see it in person soon since I'm moving to AZ in a couple of weeks.
calyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #123

Thumbs up

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. im so sick

oh i mean that is a sick truck .
jayyeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #124
Rock Crawler

Ive been eyeballing the GT2 as well. Keep us posted on how well those 48p internal gears hold up...
As usual, top notch work
Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #125
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawkins
What shocks were you running that had the resevoirs?

Thanks
I ran two different types of Piggyback shocks. The first were AE truck rears w/after market piggyback resevoirs (no-namers I won used on E-bay). The later were Integy MRS4's. Both were pretty but not practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimbal
Ive been eyeballing the GT2 as well. Keep us posted on how well those 48p internal gears hold up...
As usual, top notch work
The 48p gears don't seem to be a problem. Pede, Stealth, and Losi transmission all use them. I ran AE and TRAXXAS gears in the V.2 Trans. The real problem was making everthing true, wobbling gears and poor gear mesh killed the last trans more than the brushless did. The GT2 gear set eliminated alot of the wobble and I gotten much better with the gear mesh math.

Thanks for all the positive feedback !!

Last edited by azvader; 03-04-2007 at 10:33 PM.
azvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:25 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by azvader
I ran two different types of Piggyback shocks. The first were AE truck rears w/after market piggyback resevoirs (no-namers I won used on E-bay). The later were Integy MRS4's. Both were pretty but not practical.
I thought those looked like AE's. Im running hard ano'ed AE's all around and am trying to find some pretty res's.

Thanks
shawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:21 AM   #127
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by azvader
The 48p gears don't seem to be a problem. Pede, Stealth, and Losi transmission all use them. I ran AE and TRAXXAS gears in the V.2 Trans. The real problem was making everthing true, wobbling gears and poor gear mesh killed the last trans more than the brushless did. The GT2 gear set eliminated alot of the wobble and I gotten much better with the gear mesh math.
Good to hear the GT2 is the usual AE quality Yhea I agree 48p is fine for 2.2., but I am looking to stuff a GT2 in a Twin Force super with brushless Slipper required im thinking.
Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #128
Quarry Creeper

Default Buster on Fat Rocks

I recently got a pair of Fat Rock Axle-Cs. Although I've never had an issue with the stock ones breaking I was more interested in the ability the flip the steering knuckles to gain GC. The installation went well with only minor adjusting. I did have to ream out the knuckle screw mounting holes. They were a little snug and kept unscewing the knuckle screws, all good now.

While I was test crawling the axle-Cs ( and other stuff ), I busted one of the front shocks. I think I new when it happened because the front axle started articulating better, I liked it !!! I pitched the busted shocks and rebuilt the torsion plate, the old one had clearance issues, and hit the rocks. PERFECT !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimbal
As usual, top notch work
The 48 pitchers are working GREAT !!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #129
Rock Crawler

I know you've moved on to the new tranny, but on your original did you use the stock spur and stock pinion on the motor to get the 6:1? If not, what spur and pinion did you use?
Thanks,
Tom
metomwhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #130
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

So much bling on this! All the CF and aluminum look good. Did you notice a positive CG difference once you installed the Fatrock C's and alu knuckles? Running any weight in the tires?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:36 AM   #131
Quarry Creeper

Default The Illegal Adjust-on-the-Fly Camber Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by metomwhou
I know you've moved on to the new tranny, but on your original did you use the stock spur and stock pinion on the motor to get the 6:1? If not, what spur and pinion did you use?
Thanks,
Tom
The V2 trans was gear 6:1 with a 60/15 (32 pitch) spur/pinion, giving me 10:1 to the axles. V3 is 4.09:1 with a 54/9, about 10:1.

I found this gearing since to work best with the little BL motor I'm running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
So much bling on this! All the CF and aluminum look good. Did you notice a positive CG difference once you installed the Fatrock C's and alu knuckles? Running any weight in the tires?
Thanks John, I LOVE the new Fat Rocks !!! The clearance is sooooo much better. My old plastic Cs hung up on everything. I never broke a plastic C, their just in the way.

As for weights, YEAH BUDDY !!! 4oz of 3/16 steel balls and 1.5 oz of rim weights on each front wheel. She does a good lawn-dart impression on steep decents, but I can go straight up s**t.

I crawl with PARC which allows rear steer in 2.2s, I have chosen not to run rear steer at our comps so I will be ready for Nats ( fingers crossed ). I've been taking a major beating since I made the change a month before Nats. In an effort to gain ground I came up with what I thought was the next new cheat after dig. But after the major beating I took the last couple days, I've discovered a new from of rear steer.

I thought of either running rear steer to hang in the standings until Nats, but rear steer ROCKS !!!! There was no way I could drive w/o after driving with.

Second option was to rotate the steering knuckles 90 degrees, gaining tons of GC like with the Fat Rocks, and locking them there.

And then it was like someone dropped their chocolate in my peanut butter. The rig has no trouble running another digi servo with a 10amp regulator. I had the room in the same place as the rear steer was. How about Adjust-on-the-Fly Camber

And now what you've all been waiting for, or at least scruff007, the Illegal Adjust-on-the-Fly Camber Thang.

First I removed the one Cs and made new ones. I had to intergate the inside halves of the Cs to a new pod mount. I retained part of the old axle mount in the form of 5mm spacer/shock mounts. Next I made the outside halves and their 4mm spacers.

The installation went smoother than the fabrication did, you looking at the 3rd inside and 2nd and a half outsides. When your trying to position an axle stub over a inner axle a mm off is as good as a mile.

Although it's been dubbed illegal for Nats, I'm still running it for awhile just to see what it does. I've liked how it's performed so far.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:29 AM   #132

Is that all fabb'd by hand? Good job if it isnt. Great job if it is!

My point in the other trainwreck was that camber and toe are never really seperable on a solid axle, as it only depends on your reference point to the ground. Get that baby stood up to a wall suddenly the rear will become more effective as a steering agent. Thats how I see the whole issue at least. Its cool that your locals run rear steer, I bet the courses are HARD! Anybody running dig and rear steer on the same rig?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:55 AM   #133
Quarry Creeper

That looks sick!
klrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:15 PM   #134
Rock Crawler

Gorgeous, as usual Mike.

Chad-
grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #135
Rock Crawler

it looks awesome, but how would that help it perform better on the rocks?
Rc EnthuSiasTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #136
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc EnthuSiasTs
Yea what he ^^^^^^ said!
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #137
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
Is that all fabb'd by hand? Good job if it isnt. Great job if it is!
I have a dremel and drill press but a hacksaw and files do alot of the work. Thanks for the props !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc EnthuSiasTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL
Yea what he ^^^^^^ said!
What's it do ? The plan was to use the change in camber to help shift and/or rise/lower Buster's center of gravity. This effect allows for a greater off camber crawl angle or to settle an axle. Lowering and widening the rigs rear stance is a big help on decents. Think of it as getting behind the seat of a MTB on a steep drop. And, if all else fails, sometimes a good wiggle of the wheels can do wonders. I was looking for another way to control the truck beyond steering, like forced articulation.

If the rain let's up, yes rain in sunny AZ, Buster try this in a comp Sunday. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:41 PM   #138
I wanna be Dave

Buster has been an inspiration to me for a very long time!

This mod is pure genius!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:21 AM   #139
Rock Stacker

too bad he getting hosed with these gay rules!
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:16 AM   #140

Not really, his local group allows rear steer in 2.2.